Subaru Outback Forums banner

Starter Noise

8K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  corboulee 
#1 ·
I now own two Subaru 3.6 Outbacks. I'm hearing the same noise on both upon initial startup while turning the ignition. Somewhat of a loud chirping would probably be a good way to describe the noise.

Have any of you experienced this on an Outback or any other model?

#4 ·
I replaced the starter in my 05 GT Wagon years ago, ($123). The sound they make happens as your returning the key to Run. The starter gear is slow to slide back on the shaft.

There is a thread over on legacyGT.com in one of the stickies about greasing it. I just decided to replace it.

Been fine ever since. My 09 Spec B makes the same noise. I'll replace that next year may be or next time the tmic is off. car has 69,000 miles.

I didn't replace the starter in the 05 until it began to happen 90% of the time. It's normally a cold weather thing.

#8 ·
Just before Christmas I left my '14 OBW with my dealer overnight. The heard the cold day starter disengagement grind, and replaced it. Wouldn't you know it, the new one made the exact same sound for the first few days, but now is fading out and becoming less obvious. Inherent in the design? Lube that took a while to get where it needs to be? Too tight initially and now loosening up?

#10 ·
Yes, we own a 2015 3.6R and about a year to two ago at around 20,000 miles the starter began to make the same chipping squeal that you describe. It doesn't sound healthy and it is concerning because I keep thinking the next stage will likely be more like grinding and clanking. Have you discovered any reason for this behavior?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.