Vdc - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Car: 1994 SVX pearly [being rebuilt], 2001 Outback LL Bean, 3.0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vdc

The trans in our 01 LL Bean 3.0 litre has passed. I found a used one and it was delivered to my trans shop - it turns out that it has VDC and the car doesn't. Can it be rewired to Not use the VDC?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
The trans in our 01 LL Bean 3.0 litre has passed. I found a used one and it was delivered to my trans shop - it turns out that it has VDC and the car doesn't. Can it be rewired to Not use the VDC?
others have asked this,...but it is a rare question. there might be mechanical issues in the output going into the VTD part in the VDC cars.

however, @grossgary @lockmedic...might know (rebuilders of EZ30D cars). (I wonder if it is as easy as looking up the part number of the trans in both cars)

lots of used LLBean H6 in yards in america,.

when did yours get into Canada?

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

for future reference:

31000AE330 = OUTBACK; 3.0L; W/O VDC

31000AE050 = OUTBACK; 3.0L; W/VDC

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am sorry but we would know this as it's not something we would perform here at the dealer. This is one of the best forums to find such an answer.

If you want me to compare specific parts between the 2 vehicles I can but will need the VIN for both please.

-Benny

Follow Us on Facebook!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i don't think anyone actually knows the answer to this. both transmissions are equal in terms of cost and availability so there's lacking reasons to attempt it.

if you wanted to investigate you can compare wiring diagrams. if the pinouts are identical - that's a good sign it'll at least run and work.

VDC is really a controller difference - it controls the engine, brakes, and transmission. the engine and brakes are the same/interchangeable in VDC and non-VDC vehicles so really good chance the transmissions are as well.

after that - start comparing parts:

1. front differentials are the same - same final drive ratio so that good.
2. valve body
3. rear extension housing guts (both are VTD in the H6's right)?

but again - conjecture.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
i don't think anyone actually knows the answer to this. both transmissions are equal in terms of cost and availability so there's lacking reasons to attempt it.

if you wanted to investigate you can compare wiring diagrams. if the pinouts are identical - that's a good sign it'll at least run and work.

VDC is really a controller difference - it controls the engine, brakes, and transmission. the engine and brakes are the same/interchangeable in VDC and non-VDC vehicles so really good chance the transmissions are as well.

after that - start comparing parts:

1. front differentials are the same - same final drive ratio so that good.
2. valve body
3. rear extension housing guts (both are VTD in the H6's right)?

but again - conjecture.
sorry to say / sad to report.

2001-2004 US / Canada spec H6 cars do not have VTD,...unless they are a actual VDC car.

the plain H6 cars did have a limited slip rear though.

all the H6 got VTD starting in 2005.

as per cars101

2001 2001 Subaru Outback options, prices, all currrent and older Subarus Outbacks Foresters Imprezas Bajas

2004 2004 Subaru Outback options, prices, photos, colors, all other Subarus also

2005 2005 Outback- Subaru Outback Research site

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 AM

great info, so the VTD will be different. folks have already swapped VTD's in place of MPT's so that's a known quantity. research those threads for possibly keeping the VTD (considered an upgrade by some) or swapping the MPT in place of the VTD.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:43 AM

i've swapped VTD's - it's really simple - just the back end of the transmission, not a big deal.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 07:50 PM
HGR

Car: 2002 Legacy GT30
Is it really that easy to swap from VDC to standard? I've blown out a transmission and can only seem to locate ones with VDC. Are there any additional parts needed?

If all else fails, read the instructions.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGR View Post
Is it really that easy to swap from VDC to standard? I've blown out a transmission and can only seem to locate ones with VDC. Are there any additional parts needed?
this has been a question that I don't think has definitely been answered

as no one gets 2 together and compares, or gets through a install to report.

the output shaft shape maybe different. causing the difference in part numbers.

or the VDC version may have slightly different electrical plugs for a extra sensor wire.

_______

the places you buy from "should" have a return clause so you can get yours side by side with the donor trans to see.

does yours have the mechanical VTD without the electronic VDC?

are you sourcing donors from local Kiwi / Aussie market used,...or JDM?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: