Towing Capacity - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Towing Capacity

I have a 2011 Outback with trailer hitch. Been looking at pop-up campers. Reading my manual, I see that trailers without brakes should weigh less than 1000 lbs. When we bought the car I was just told that towing capacity was 3000 lbs. No mention that no trailer brakes limited towing capacity. Anyone towing a trailer without brakes weighing 2500+ lbs.? Is it really unsafe or damaging to transmission/engine?
tommyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Unsafe.

3000 is the towing capacity for the H6 Outback with trailer brakes.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
I have a 2011 Outback with trailer hitch. Been looking at pop-up campers. Reading my manual, I see that trailers without brakes should weigh less than 1000 lbs. When we bought the car I was just told that towing capacity was 3000 lbs. No mention that no trailer brakes limited towing capacity. Anyone towing a trailer without brakes weighing 2500+ lbs.? Is it really unsafe or damaging to transmission/engine?
Is that an h6 3.6l or the 2.5 cvt or manual? There are additional conditions besides trailer brakes. The empty weight of an rv trailer is not your packed weight. Google living lite aluminum rv trailers. The garbage built by the big brand rv companies are all too heavy with low quality materials any way.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback XT 5EAT: SSR Type C wheels, KYB struts, rear sway bar, exhaust tips, MC brace, MoMo shifter, tranny cooler, tow package
Default Towing capacity

We have towed our pop top camper all over the Mountain West for years. You definitely don't want to skimp on brakes.

Get electronic brakes and a brake controller (offers more control, preferred for campers) or hydraulic surge brakes (preferred for wet applications like boat trailers) for your camper.

You're talking about adding another 50%+ more weight to the maximum gross vehicle weight of your car. You can't expect the vehicle's stock brakes to stop that much weight safely. There are physical reasons for why trailer brakes are required above the vehicle's lower limit. Even with trailer brakes, your stopping distances are going to increase substantially.

Read up on towing capacity, tow load balancing and braking before you commit to a trailer.

Here are the basic tow capacity formulas:
Gross vehicle weight = curb weight + payload capacity
Gross combined vehicle weight = curb weight + payload capacity + net trailer weight.
Net trailer weight = gross trailer weight - tongue weight.

You subtract the tongue weight from the gross trailer weight because it is carried by the car's suspension - you don't want to double-count it.

We have a 2005 XT. As an example on our car, we're looking at a gross vehicle weight of ~3500 + 900 = ~4400#
Net trailer weight = ~2100 - 200 = 1900#
Combined vehicle weight = 4400 + 1900 = ~6300#.

Our car has a maximum tow rating of 2700#. This implies that the maximum combined vehicle weight for our car with trailer brakes is about #6900.

You don't mention where you want to go. Mountain terrain requires that you go conservative on your figures. Don't buy a trailer that maxes out your vehicle if you're going to tow at altitude. In fact, I wouldn't advise buying a trailer that maxes out your vehicle under any circumstances.

Tow load balancing:
Notice also that you have to reduce the car's payload by the tongue weight. In other words, our car has a payload capacity of 900#, but the 200# of tongue load has to come off that, otherwise you'll overload the car's suspension.

The tongue load should also be 8-10% of the trailer's gross weight, otherwise the trailer won't track well. Since our cars have a 200# tongue weight limit, that implies a maximum trailer weight of ~2500#. Pushing the limit with a 3000# trailer and a 200# tongue weight is about as far as I would go. Stability in cross winds will suffer.

The Outback makes a fine towing vehicle as long as you respect its limits. I love being able to drive a vehicle that tows our camper and hauls our stuff but still handles like a car, not a snow-plow. Engine power matters, engine/transmission cooling capacity matters, braking capacity matters, weight distribution matters, trailer cross-section area matters (a pop-top camper will be fine). You need to look at the whole picture.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your shopping,

-brian
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/CVT

Tommyd, the towing capacities of the 2011 OB are 2,700 pounds for the 2.5i with manual or CVT transmission and 3,000 pounds for the OB with the H6 engine. This is under normal circumstances. These capacities are reduced in hot temperatures (over 104 deg. F.) or operation in mountainous areas.

Keep in mind that at weights above 1500 pounds, you should have trailer brakes installed.
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

Most popups will either come with trailer brakes or have the mounting tabs on the axles. Trailer brakes are needed. This is true for any tow vehicle. Unfortunately, a lot of truck/ suv owners ignore the manufactures requirement or don't pay attention to GCVW.
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback, 2.5i,Auto Lineartronic CVT

OEM Class I hitch vs. Class 3 Aftermarket
The OEM max tow rating of 2700 Lbs and max tongue weight of hitch do not make sense--. Most info I've gathered estimates the tongue weight to be 8-10% of the trailer weight, or 216-270 lbs. Max tongue weight in the manual is for the OEM hitch is 200 lbs. I'm considering trailer ultralites (i.e., Amerilite, Spree) in the 2400-2600 lb range, and I'm concerned that an OEM hitch install will limit my choices to pop-ups. The etrailer site lists hitches with greater wt. ratings, but the manual says "fumes and rust" are the consequences of installing a frame-bolted, aftermarket hitch. The UK Subaru site has higher tow weight maximums, so I'm wondering if the manual specs are more driven by the lawyers rather than the engineers. Any experienced campers out there towing an Ultralite camper using the OEM hitch?

Last edited by Boxer; 01-01-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: better description of problem
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Brian, that is good info. I'm going to an RV show in Portland, OR today and taking a close look at those figures you mentioned. Thanks for that. I have toyed with the idea of the Sylvan GO trailer, but a bit pricey. I have a 2013 3.6 Outback. 1 inch trailer mount. Not like my Expedition that this replaced. Just big concern on the towing as you mentioned in your comments to Tommyd. I think I'll stick to Pop Ups but still watch the weights. R/
Dankus Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Subaru Outback 3.0 (now 173,000 km, bought @120,000 km)

Here in Europe, the limitation without brakes is mostly 750 kg (1650 lbs).

gtarantino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
OEM Class I hitch vs. Class 3 Aftermarket
The OEM max tow rating of 2700 Lbs and max tongue weight of hitch do not make sense--. Most info I've gathered estimates the tongue weight to be 8-10% of the trailer weight, or 216-270 lbs. Max tongue weight in the manual is for the OEM hitch is 200 lbs. I'm considering trailer ultralites (i.e., Amerilite, Spree) in the 2400-2600 lb range, and I'm concerned that an OEM hitch install will limit my choices to pop-ups. The etrailer site lists hitches with greater wt. ratings, but the manual says "fumes and rust" are the consequences of installing a frame-bolted, aftermarket hitch. The UK Subaru site has higher tow weight maximums, so I'm wondering if the manual specs are more driven by the lawyers rather than the engineers. Any experienced campers out there towing an Ultralite camper using the OEM hitch?
The tongue weight limit does not change for your car with a change in hitch. It is what the suspension and structure of the vehicle is designed to support. A heavier hitch will only subtract from that load capacity (it's weight vs the weight of the lighter rated stuff). You can not do anything to your vehicle that will increase any of it's ratings (from a legal standpoint). The heavier hitch might give you piece of mind, but the actual failure point of the lighter equipment is most likely able to withstand peak loads 2-3 times the rated weight. Again, your tow ratings as stated in the manual will not change no matter what you change. They are what they are. part of the reason for the higher ratings in Europe have to do with the fact that all of Europe limits tow speeds to about 50 mph. They also run much lower tongue weights in Europe. If they tried to run the speeds we do here, they would get passed by their trailers in short order.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: