Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   Gen 5: 2015-Present (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/)
-   -   Worried about new EyeSight system (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/125130-worried-about-new-eyesight-system.html)

bsbd 02-13-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014Outback (Post 1340642)
You're taking Pool Runner's comment out of contax and talking oranges to his apples. Not what he said at all.

Fatalities have decreased due to much safer design, not because people are driving any better, and they're sure not smarter.

You just agreed with me.... "Fatalities have decreased due to much safer design" is exactly what I was saying. Collision avoidance systems and other technologies that act as a "safety nets" are extensions of the many design improvements that have dramatically decreased fatalities since those golden years. I didn't say a word about "People driving better".

Buford_Tannen 02-13-2014 05:24 PM

Just to reiterate my question, if Subaru has the system operational in Japan, why would they only release 4/5 of it in the US? Will the US system be technically capable, but just disabled via the software? Or, is it still possible the full system could be coming to the Outback, even though the Legacy isn't getting it?

I'm completely in favor of much stricter driver education and licensing standards here, but I don't see that happening due to economic reasons (e.g. Johnny can't pass the test, and therefore can't drive to work or eat at McDonalds). At the very least, I wish we could get a PSA campaign about the proper use of passing lanes.

Gelacy 02-16-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford_Tannen (Post 1337210)
I just read the latest press release from Subaru of America detailing the EyeSight system in the 2015 Legacy. As far as I can tell it looks like they've left out the two biggest new features that are in the next-gen system in Japan, Lane Keeping Assistance and Lane Departure Prevention:

From the Fuji Heavy Industries press release:

Lane Keeping Assist
If EyeSight can recognize the lines on both sides of the lane when driving above approximately 65 km/h with Adaptive Cruise Control activated, it will automatically steer the vehicle to keep it in the middle of the lane.

Lane Departure Prevention Assist
If the vehicle is straying from the lines when driving over approximately 65 km/h as on limited-access highways, EyeSight will display and sound the lane departure warning and apply torque to the steering wheel to correct steering back to the center of the lane and suppress lane deviation.

The US press release makes no mention of either of these two features, so I'm worried. I decided to wait for the 2015 Outbacks based largely on the expectation that these two new features were coming to the EyeSight system. Does anyone expect the Outback system to be different from the Legacy or are we out of luck?

To receive a clear answer, please e-mail Subaru of America (or Canada if you're buying from Canada) with that question. Do not depend on a forum like this when it comes to actually purchasing a vehicle and requiring those additional safety features. You might be misinformed by forums and buy only to be disappointed even more.

Gelacy 02-16-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford_Tannen (Post 1341138)
Just to reiterate my question, if Subaru has the system operational in Japan, why would they only release 4/5 of it in the US? Will the US system be technically capable, but just disabled via the software? Or, is it still possible the full system could be coming to the Outback, even though the Legacy isn't getting it?

I'm completely in favor of much stricter driver education and licensing standards here, but I don't see that happening due to economic reasons (e.g. Johnny can't pass the test, and therefore can't drive to work or eat at McDonalds). At the very least, I wish we could get a PSA campaign about the proper use of passing lanes.

The reason why they test it over in Japan is because that is their home market. Everyone has seen what happens when the U.S. public reacts to technology that is not so new to people in every day use but they completely lose it when someone forgets to press a simple POWER button to shut down a Japanese hybrid (read: Toyota Prius) in the event of an emergency.

Japan usually gets all the goodies like Europe when we lose out in the U.S. That's evident from when EyeSight launched FIRST in Japan and took a while to come to us in the U.S. because Subaru most likely wanted to see how it would be received and purchased by customers.

One of the few exceptions that is the opposite is the Tribeca replacement which is designed specifically for the U.S. to compete in the third-row SUV segment. It will most likely sell very poorly in Japan but that's because the infrastructure looks down upon large vehicles in that size segment.

arthuruscg 02-18-2014 09:47 AM

I can't imagine the lane systems actually working in the DC area, so many of our roads have multiple and inconsistent lane markings the system would be confused majority of the time.

Buford_Tannen 02-19-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelacy (Post 1349314)
To receive a clear answer, please e-mail Subaru of America (or Canada if you're buying from Canada) with that question. Do not depend on a forum like this when it comes to actually purchasing a vehicle and requiring those additional safety features. You might be misinformed by forums and buy only to be disappointed even more.

Thanks. I emailed and got the following reply:

"At this time, we do not have specs to provide on the 2015 models or the Eyesight feature. As a result, we are unable to advise yet. We would recommend keeping an eye on our Website at Subaru.com where we will post the most up to date information when it becomes available."

I guess I'll be waiting until April for an answer.

Doc 02-19-2014 09:39 PM

Ah humans we never like giving up control, or do we. it will happen might as well get use to it. Remember this the only thing that will stay the same is change. Let see trust a machine with better reflexes able to take in more data then a human, or the flawed logic that the human brain can do a better job. I rather have a machine drive me then a human. we are not very good drivers get in an eyesight vehicle drive down the road like we normally all do (sub conscious driving) and see how often the eyesight beeps at you for bad driving.

knel 02-24-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthuruscg (Post 1355889)
I can't imagine the lane systems actually working in the DC area, so many of our roads have multiple and inconsistent lane markings the system would be confused majority of the time.

This. I get false alarms due to bike lanes all the time, for example I cross a bridge on my commute and the bike lane just stops and then starts again. Eyesight alarms on this but it would be dangerous to let it steer on a bridge.

arthuruscg 02-25-2014 09:52 AM

I think the system would just say f it and shut down. The road are horrible and I think DC mva gave up on marking the roads because no one pays attention anyways. Plus the markings are unique due to the roads that change direction based on time of day. And section of roads change based on light timing.

2014Outback 02-25-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 1361761)
Let see trust a machine with better reflexes able to take in more data then a human, or the flawed logic that the human brain can do a better job. I rather have a machine drive me then a human. we are not very good drivers get in an eyesight vehicle drive down the road like we normally all do (sub conscious driving) and see how often the eyesight beeps at you for bad driving.

And a machine is only as good as the software and programming that controls it. And, guess who's doing the programming? Ain't a machine dude.