Subaru Outback Forums banner

MSRP/INVOICE/PURCHASE PRICE thread

Gen 5 
5M views 7K replies 2K participants last post by  subie-do 
#1 ·
Can we make this post a place for everybody to post their MSRP/INVOICE/PURCHASE PRICE?

I think that's a question many of us want to ask when somebody buys one as it is the most pertinent aspect of their purchase to our future purchase and posting the deals we all got in here will help future buyers negotiate.

#2 ·
When I purchased my last vehicle, I was able to go the BMW forum prior to ordering the vehicle and located a thread by a BMW insider who posted true invoice on each BMW vehicle and invoice pricing on options. What a valuable piece of information. I would like to see a thread listed for buyers:2015 Subaru Outback MSRP and Invoice Buyers Download. I have a hard time believing options listed are what dealer pays the factory for added options so I tend to think the true dealer invoice is lower than most buyers think.

#3 ·
My sticker said $34,561 and they stated flat out that was the price they paid. I called while sitting in the show room, on speaker, to another dealer and asked to order the same car, they quoted $31,056. My dealer quickly called the GM and they not only price matched but I got all season floor matts, trunk tray, cargo nets, and the theft upgrade at no cost.

I later haggled for an hour with the finance manager to get 2.99% then later 2.75% and a gap/10year warranty at the same monthly rate as 2.99%.

It takes awhile, but if you don't have a problem being a jerk you can get better deals.

#6,177 ·
My sticker said $34,561 and they stated flat out that was the price they paid. I called while sitting in the show room, on speaker, to another dealer and asked to order the same car, they quoted $31,056. My dealer quickly called the GM and they not only price matched but I got all season floor matts, trunk tray, cargo nets, and the theft upgrade at no cost.

I later haggled for an hour with the finance manager to get 2.99% then later 2.75% and a gap/10year warranty at the same monthly rate as 2.99%.

It takes awhile, but if you don't have a problem being a jerk you can get better deals.

This is very good price.

#8 ·
Parky, you should read up on the VIP program. If you need to buy immediately, check out the ASPCA one.

My assumption in starting this post was that everybody will get 2% below invoice, so the purpose was to see examples of where people were able to negotiate below that, or to get additional items added on at invoice or lesser, such as a warranty or dealer add ons.

There are 5-6 dealers within a 3 hour drive from where I live, so presumably, if I can use VIP to get 2% below from any of them, one should be willing to go lower to secure my business, correct? The negotiations will just be made easier if there are other examples to point to and will be helpful for every future negotiator.

#9 ·
Parky, you should read up on the VIP program. If you need to buy immediately, check out the ASPCA one.

My assumption in starting this post was that everybody will get 2% below invoice, so the purpose was to see examples of where people were able to negotiate below that, or to get additional items added on at invoice or lesser, such as a warranty or dealer add ons.

You have more negotiating to do if your price is above invoice... Unless you just don't have any Subaru dealers within driving distance.
The last time I was at the Subaru dealer in Riverhead, NY (summer 2012), I told the salesperson I wanted to pay 2% under invoice for a 2013. The manager came out and told me he was insulted by my offer and I left.

The dealer in Huntington, NY wouldn't take more than $1,000.00 off MSRP. I had much better luck negotiating at the dealership in Hicksville, but for whatever reason, we decided that my wife should lease a Passat instead. We'll check out '16 OBs next summer for her.

#23 ·
None of the local dealer in my area were able to match Grand Subaru's pricing. The local dealers in my town were not even willing to do VIP pricing.
As far as alternate incentives go, you are unlikely to see any cash incentives being offered on a new model year car. Same with promo items. Free oil changes for life and extended warranty could be offered, but hardly offset the $ 2000 cost savings ( or more) on the purchase price.
Then again, money vs service is a subjective call. I reckoned I'd value the cost savings over the service I could get in my area and will give my business to the dealer in Chicago.

#24 ·
Another Reference Point

I purchased a new 2015 Legacy 2.5 Premium this week from a "volume" dealer located about 600 miles from home. The car was already in the Subaru pipeline, with VIN assigned, but it won't be delivered for another month or so. Pricing was as follows (cash sale, no trade-in):

MSRP $25,254
Invoice $23,590
Actual Sale Price $22,650 plus $389 "dealer handling" = $23,039

The bottom-line price is $2215 (9.1%) below MSRP and $551 (2.4%) below Invoice.

The volume dealer's pricing formula was pretty easy to figure out: (Invoice less 4%) plus $389. I didn't haggle over the "dealer handling" fee because the bottom line price is all that really matters, and in this case it was more than $1200 below the "best" price quoted by any of my three local dealers. Due to the vagaries of the tax laws in my resident state, I will also save an additional $250 in sales tax buying from an out-of-state dealer.

I would have preferred to buy from a local dealer, but $1200+ was just too much for me to leave on the table.

#26 ·
I purchased a new 2015 Legacy 2.5 Premium this week from a "volume" dealer located about 600 miles from home. The car was already in the Subaru pipeline, with VIN assigned, but it won't be delivered for another month or so. Pricing was as follows:

MSRP $25,254
Invoice $23,590
Actual Sale Price $22,650 plus $389 "dealer handling" = $23,039

The bottom-line price is $2215 (8.8%) below MSRP and $551 (2.3%) below Invoice.

The volume dealer's pricing formula was pretty easy to figure out: (Invoice less 4%) plus $389. I didn't haggle over the "dealer handling" fee because the bottom line price is all that really matters, and in this case it was more than $1200 below the "best" price quoted by any of my three local dealers. Due to the vagaries of the tax laws in my resident state, I will also save an additional $250 in sales tax buying from an out-of-state dealer.

I would have preferred to buy from a local dealer, but $1200 was just too much for me to leave on the table.

HOLY s h i t that is an AMAZING DEAL! My God - I plan on putting 3k down so at that price I'd be driving away with a 20k car payment.

What is your location or the location of the "volume" dealer?

I made the mistake of going through the build your own Outback on the Subaru.com page and linked it to Hodges Dealership. Of course they emailed me immediately but I told them my story that I'm a VIP member eligiable in October to use the discount.

All I want is the 2.5i Premium with 5 to 6 added accessories (wheel locks, weather mats, back seat cover, bumper cover, rear cargo and the tray - $350 max). This was the email I got for the quote - which I'll discount for now since it does not even factor in my VIP. He suggested a certain package with the dimming rear view mirror with compass (..zzzzzz not needed by me; which of course jacked the MSRP).

email:
David,

Thank you for submitting an Internet inquiry for the 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium in Carbide Gray Metallic/Slate Black Cloth. We are part of the Costco and Sam's Club auto programs. If you are a member of either, we can offer discounted pricing on the 2015 Outback of $100 over dealer invoice.

We have a car estimated to arrive on 07/07/2014 with all of factory-added accessories you specified plus a couple additional items: Cargo Net behind the rear seat, Cargo Net at the tailgate, Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass, Rear Bumper Cover, All Weather Floor Mats, Wheel Locks, and Rear Seat Back Protector. The MSRP is $28,946 and a dealer invoice of $26,663. Therefore, the Costco/Sam's Club price will be $26,763 which is a discount of $1,733 from MSRP. This price does not include licensing, fees, and tax.

Let me know if you have any questions about the vehicle. There is significant interest in the 2015 Outback and some customers are already reserving our incoming cars. If you are interested in this car and are ready to purchase it, I highly suggest placing a $250 deposit to hold the car for you for three business days after it arrives. Please note that I am not in the office on Tuesdays.

#29 ·
Grand quoted me $30,548 for a 2.5 limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight plus remote start and seatback protector. Dealer fee and temp license of $216 on top of that.

That price includes destination charges. They also offered to reimburse me $200 for airfare.

What an awesome place. A shame is a 33 hour drive.

#31 ·
You've got to wonder how these dealerships are going to move their 2014s. Most have a few dozen left on the lot - some a lot more than that. Who would buy, for example, a 2014 SAP for even 15% under MSRP when dealers are already cutting deals close to 10% off MSRP on 2015s Limited, which have pretty much the same goodies and so much more. I'm going to wait for a 2015, but stealing a 2014 for something like 18-20% off MSRP would sure be tempting.

#38 ·
I just ordered from Grand a 2.5i limited, moonroof, keyless access, Nav, EyeSight, popular package #5, factory trailer hitch, and cargo net. It was well worth calling them and worth taking the time to go and get it, and very easy. (They didn't offer me an airfare credit though). It is more work because I have to register it at my state DMV once I get home and pay my state taxes at that time as they aren't able to do it for me in my state. They will pick me up at O'Hare and bring me to their dealership. They say they do this all the time.

#41 ·
Just ordered my 2015 OB 3.6 w/nav and bumper cover, paid invoice plus $200. Checked the invoice on a couple sights and it matched. Sticker was $36135, invoice $33,601. Figured it was a fair price for an order vehicle and I didn't have to haggle. The dealership was packed and were sold out of 3.6s. Wanted eyesight, but they don't start building them until the fall according to the dealer.

#47 ·
Yesterday I took delivery of a Crystal White Pearl 2015 Outback lmt equipped with

#22 Moonroof Pkg, Keyless Access/Pushbutton Start, Navigation $2,195

Popular Package 4 (OZ9) Exterior auto dimming mirror with approach lighting, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and Homelink garage door opener, rear bumper cover, all weather rubber floor mats, splash guards $867

for $29,900
+tax 2,170
+doc 166
+license 221
+county tax 15

out the door $32,472

I think i got a fair price for a car that i drove off the lot. International subaru of orland park beat ever quote i received by at least $1,400.

#48 ·
For the guys ordering from grand are you trading in a vehicle? How does the appraisal work with an order? This is my only fear ordering is that they will low ball me on my trade and I won't be able to do anything about it other than walk away and get my deposit back.

#49 ·
We haven't decided on the trade in yet. She said they won't quote our trade in (Mazda RX8) until we take delivery of the outback 3.6 in 6-8 weeks. However, she did indicate that she didn't think they would offer a very competitive deal. We'll see what they offer and, if they won't negotiate, look into selling the car elsewhere.

#54 ·
Order placed today with Melissa at Grand:

MSRP: $34,578
Invoice: $31,928
Your Price: $30,580

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited (Crystal Black Silica/Slate Black Leather)
Model Code: FDF
Option Code: 23 (Moonroof Package + Keyless Access & Start + Navigation + Eye Sight)
CVT (Automatic Transmission)
Popular Package #5 - Exterior auto-dimming mirror with Blind Spot Detection (BSD) and approach lighting; Rear bumper cover; All weather floor mats; Splash guards; Rear seat back protector
Cargo Net Rear of Seat

Additional Fees:
$166.27 Documentary Fee
$145 Transfer Plates OR $221 Brand New Plates
Sales Tax

#68 ·
This is going to sound odd to all you folks who know all about 'invoice pricing' etc., but because I don't . . what is the invoice everyone is talking about and where do you get to see it? Is it the invoice that the dealer gets from Subaru that is supposed to show how much the dealer has to pay for the car? If so, how does a dealer sell a car for 'less than' that price and make any money?

From all the examples in this thread, it seems that a good deal is 'simply' somewhere between 7 - 10% off MSRP?

Also, I'm in (western) Canada and would be interested some Canadian buyers examples. Our option packages seem to be completely different from the US. For example, we have a Technology Package Option, it includes Eyesight and a couple of other minor goodies, and I can add it to a 2.5 Limited for only $1,200.

#70 ·
The invoice price of a car is higher than the final dealer cost. The dealer "pays" (borrows) invoice but when the car is sold, the manufacturer pays the dealer an additional "holdback", which is at least 3% for Subaru. Depending on the dealer's volume of sales, the holdback increases.

The holdback is supposed to cover the cost of the dealer's financing the car to sit on the lot. If the dealer can sell the car quickly, then the holdback is profit.

ETA: A quick google search shows a paid site for Canadian invoice prices and another one called unhaggle.com which asks for your personal information before providing the invoice price.

#69 ·
Does this sound like a good deal?

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Model Code: FDF
Option Code: 23 (Moonroof Package + Keyless Access & Start + Navigation + Eye Sight)
CVT (Automatic Transmission)
Factory Installed Options
Popular Package #5
Remote Start
Cargo Net Vertical
Cargo Net Side (2)
Body Side Moldings
Wheel Arch Moldings

$31, 624

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.