Subaru Outback Forums banner

2015 Hitch, photos?

282K views 521 replies 175 participants last post by  The Rigger 
#1 ·
I ordered a 2015 outback with factory hitch. I've read too much on the previous generation "shin scraper" complaints from its protrusion beyond the bumper as well as the limitations of the 1.25 inch design. If anyone actually has the 2015 with factory hitch, would they post photos, and comment on its design (different from last generation?). If anyone has any knowledge on this, would they share it with us.

I might want to cancel this option and wait for the aftermarket 2 inch receiver.

Thanks!

#2 ·
You'll probably be the first

Based on the 15 updates noted I would not be surprised if the hitch set up is slightly different than the older 10-14's which were identical. Either cancel if it worries you enough or consider your self a leader going into the unknown and see how it ends up.

If its horrible you could always remove it sell it for probably a profit then get an aftermarket hitch.

#8 ·
That does not look like my 2010 factory hitch. My receiver is partially recessed upward into a cut out in the bumper cover. Not sure if that is a '15 or they changed it to being all below the bumper between '11 and '14. The receiver also appears to project rearward a little less than mine.

#5 ·
#6 ·
It appears if you order this factory hitch on a new car, you will likely have it forever due to the cost of needed replacement parts. To remove the hitch means you will have to order a new bumper beam as this hitch replaces the non-hitch Outback beam. There are a few other different parts as well. The time cost involved is considerable if you're paying someone for their labor as well. I would either order the car with it installed at the factory, or wait for aftermarket 2 inch hitches to become available. It likely will be the 1.25 inch receiver to stay compatible with Suburu attachments. It appears to have less of a protrusion, but without someone posting their first pictures, we can't know.

#9 ·
CDH where do see that?
Even the 10-14 stock hitch mounted under the existing bumper beam but it used the standard bumper structure either way. Makes zero sense why Subaru would have different bumpers for hitch and non hitch cars which case it would be more cost effective for Subaru simply to sell all of them with the hitch and remove the cost of having to keep a second part for non hitch cars on the parts list.

I've never seen any case except back in the olden days when bumpers were solid pieces of metal with a hitch on them.

#13 ·
Interesting - however are you sure thats a US spec car?

I wonder what the tow ratings are now? Given that set up is a whole bunch of wrong creating some levered sheer loading on bolts vs the bolts under tension with the old style pre 15 hitches.

I wouldn't assume this is the new hitch set up till you actually see one in person.

By the way the bumper beam stays in place the only thing they tell you to discard is the foam strip that runs between the bumper beam and the back side of the plastic bumper cap / painted bumper piece.

The hitch per that photo is a bracket that they are bolting to the two bumper beam mount points and rests between the two bolt points and behind the primary bumper beam.
However as I said that set up is all wrong for supporting loads and we may find the tow and load ratings reduced.

#16 ·
By the way the bumper beam stays in place the only thing they tell you to discard is the foam strip that runs between the bumper beam and the back side of the plastic bumper cap / painted bumper piece.Step 1) Remove and discard foam piece
Step 4) Remove the bumper beam and discard

I'd be fine if it was had 2 inch receiver but probably won't tow and just use as a bike carrier with an adapter. More vibration to contend with.

#18 ·
Looking at the installation pictures from the 2014 and 2015, it looks like the lever effect applied to the frame is quite similar eyeballing the attachment points, however, the torsion applied to the horizontal bar is much greater in the 2015 due to the approximate 4 inch offset from the receiver. I presume that piece and its welds can easily handle the torque. I wish there were measured drawings in those pdfs.

#20 ·
I read through the thread, and looked at the installation documents. It appears that the new hitch is substantially different from the 10-14. I installed an aftermarket 2" hitch on my current OB ('10) and am hoping to do the same on the new one - any insight on the availability of a 2" for the MY15+? I cannot purchase Gen5 until there is a solution out there and the OB is only tow vehicle... I may call etrailer later today - that is where I purchased the last one from and they are always very knowledgeable.

#21 ·
Bardman the 1-1/4 inch hitch for towing meets and exceeds the OB towing capacity on a rating scale. The big reason I went 2 inch was for more bike rack options. I happen to tow far far far more than hitch bike rack haul. The 1-1/4 hitch for towing needs is only a pain if all your drop hitch gear you own is 2inch. Towing capacity doesn't change.

#27 ·
Not sure about the later models but my 2008 has the same trailer ratings and the hitch is listed as a Class 1. I have an aftermarket on mine since I need a 2 inch ball for my boat. Also, the car can tow the max if the trailer has trailer brakes otherwise it is limited to 1000lbs.

There are also 3 weights to take into account for; tongue weight (weight of the tongue on the hitch), GVWR and the gross combination weight ( gross weight of vehicle plus trailer weight). The GVWR is listed on the placard on the inside of the car and that is the max loaded weight allowed for the vehicle.

#29 ·
But "money isn't everything."
As has been mentioned, ground clearance is going to be impacted negatively if the aftermarket hitch means it will all sit below the stock bumper. (It will, unless you buy the bumper mods also, AND have one designed to fit up into the "slot" that the factory hitch will use.)
Or maybe I'm wrong...
In any case, that is why I'm paying too much to get the factory hitch. I want it as recessed out of the way as possible.

#34 ·
Called my dealer today. He said he confirmed with Subaru that the hitches are delayed. He said this is for those who are ordering the hitch to be installed by the dealer/port. Not sure if this is going affect those who ordered as a package deal. Mine is one that was already built and part of the dealers allocation.

Has anyone actually gotten one with the hitch or had one installed?

#36 ·
I did notice that etrailer.com has a Curt hitch for the 2015. The installation directions were made in 2013 and the videos are for 2010 and 2011 outbacks. I wonder if it is the same type of installation? I know the Subaru instructions are different from 2014 to 2015...

#37 ·
I did notice that etrailer has the same part number (13390) listed for the 2014 and 2015 - very strange indeed. I suppose that they could use the same type of frame rail mounting that the 10-14 used. I'd like to see what one looks like installed. Also would like to see if the Torklift will work on the 15+...

#39 ·
Interested in photos as well

I'm looking at the 2015 outback as well and have the same questions regarding getting the oem hitch or aftermarket. Is there somewhere that really states what changes are made to support the OEM hitch? I appreciate any pictures folks can post - especially showing side angle pictures to see how much it sticks out from the back.

I'm also quite confused on the options for getting the oem hitch installed... at factory vs at port/dealer. Is there really a difference?

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.