Subaru Outback Forums banner

2015 Outback MPG Thread

430K views 2K replies 378 participants last post by  Bibo 
#1 ·
Fuel economy

Anyone with a 2015 Outback that is broken in? If so, what kind of mileage are you seeing? I know on my 2013 2.5, I didn't start see good mileage until around 8,000 miles. So, I don't know if anyone has enough miles on their new Outback yet.

#22 ·
Yep, fuelly is they way to go.

If the MPG meter is correct, we have achieved 30 mostly interstate (based on one 250 mile drive that included downtown Chicago) and 34 mpg on 55mph country roads. We just bought the car yesterday so hopefully we will have some hard data soon.

#4 · (Edited)
I've got 1250 miles on it with 24.6MPG. 35% local, 65% highway.

I've got the 2.5i.

Update:

7/31/14
293.3 miles
12.161 gallons
24.12 MPG

8/3/14
277.7 miles
9.854 gallons
28.8 MPG (29.6 MPG according to dashboard)

8/9/14
286.6 miles
10.885 gallons
26.33 MPG (27.5 MPG according to dashboard)
ODO 2111 miles

Reactions: roddraper323
#5 ·
That's pretty far from the claimed 27 mpg combined, especially with 65% highway. I have a 2015 on order but wonder how much I'm going to miss the 36 mpg I'm averaging on my 2013 VW Sportwagon (which I don't like for a lot of reasons, but do appreciate the mileage and handling of).

I've got 1250 miles on it with 24.6MPG. 35% local, 65% highway.

I've got the 2.5i.

#14 ·
I don't want to jump to any conclusions just yet, but if the 2.5s are really going to under-perform as far as fuel mileage, then I would definitely get the 3.6.
I was going to order my 2.5 Limited in the next few weeks, but now I might wait to see what people are getting mpg wise and maybe see if I can get an extended test drive to see for myself. I hope this isn't the case since I really like the 2.5!

#15 ·
Last week I test drove a 2.5 with less than 50 miles on it and set the trip meter to keep an eye on the MPG. It seemed to be in line with the EPA numbers. I've heard in the past that fuel economy will increase as a car is broken in. I don't know if this is still the case or not in 2015.

#21 ·
I have a 2015 2.5i limited. Only one tank on it so far and it's kind of a guesstimate. At purchase car had 93 miles on it (assuming they filled it up immediately prior to me picking it up) I filled my first tank at 565 miles (so at least 470 on the tank) putting 16.1 gallons in for about 29 mpg avg. approx 200 miles were on interstate rest were combination of highways and dc metro stop and go (traffic wasn't bad by dc standards this week though). Plenty of AC as well. For note, I am someone who usually meets or slightly exceeds the listed mileage. All in all very pleased for the first tank.

#27 ·
Just curious if Subaru is generally known for being an excellent high mpg vehicle? Some vehicles/manufacturers have reputations as getting great mpg and others have established reputations for being poor mpg on average. Have not 'yet' owned a Subaru, so just wondering what my expectation should be 'based on proven history' for the Subaru brand.

#28 ·
The MPG should increase as the engine breaks in, which could be at least a few thousand miles. I've had cars that ran best after 10k. I am almost through first tank was showing 22.1, 3.6r - 15, but the wife drove it and it dropped to 21.6. I am very pleased for the first tank, knowing it will go up. I think my 11 leg 2.5 was off 10% or more during break in. My driving conditions are not the best. I never looked at the advertised mpg range as it wouldn't apply to my conditions. High percentage of cold short runs.. I was fully expecting the first tank to be 20 or less. I had a car in AZ that got 26 mpg for 5 mos, took it to NC and it dropped to 23.

#29 ·
yeah it'd be nice if this was more on topic. more results less conversation.

include-

Engine:
Odometer:
MPG:
Trip Miles:
City/highway%:
State:
A/C or windows open alot:

Odometer is miles on car, trip miles is miles for the mpg reading, state so we can get an idea of weather and elevation impacts.

#30 ·
Thanks, Hinder! I've ordered a new 3.6R and have been anxious to hear what mpg people have been getting with it. 22 mpg from the start sounds encouraging. It'd be interesting to know what the average mpg is after your first tank when actually measured, and compare to what the computer indicated.

#35 ·
2.5i Limited
80% city: lots of stop and go, but not aggressively driven
20% highway
24 mpg combined in the first 275 miles

Once I get back to my daily driving routine which includes plenty of highway driving, I'm certain that mpg will improve significantly (I've been off work and have been primarily making short trips around town). Nonetheless, it's another data point. I'll report back once my normal driving patterns resume and I log more miles.

#40 ·
That's great. I was curious to see how someone with a 3.6 who does a lot of city driving stacks up compared to the 2.5i drivers with lots of city in real world mileage. Thank you. Do you drive with a lot of throttle in the city traffic? Or just sit back and relax? Somewhere in the middle? Thanks again.

#39 · (Edited)
2.5i Limited

I reset my trip odometer at my last fill up. Tonight, I put in 12.161 gallons in and the trip odometer read 293.3. That works out to 24.12 MPG. The driving during this trip was about 95% local 5% highway.

I have about 1400 miles on the car so far.

I am very disappointed with the MPG. The sticker promised 28/31. I don't drive aggressively and I made a conscientious effort to drive with efficiency in mind during this trip. I'm hoping I'll get better MPGs as I put more miles on it.

Whoa. I just googled OB's MPG and Subaru's website quotes 25/33. That is much different from what was on my sticker.

UPDATE: I was recalling the MPG from memory and I made a mistake. The sticker actually say 25/33, 28 combined.

#42 ·
2.5i Limited

I reset my trip odometer at my last fill up. Tonight, I put in 12.161 gallons in and the trip odometer read 293.3. That works out to 24.12 MPG. The driving during this trip was about 95% local 5% highway.

I have about 1400 miles on the car so far.

I am very disappointed with the MPG. The sticker promised 28/31. I don't drive aggressively and I made a conscientious effort to drive with efficiency in mind during this trip. I'm hoping I'll get better MPGs as I put more miles on it.

Whoa. I just googled OB's MPG and Subaru's website quotes 25/33. That is much different from what was on my sticker.
Where did you see 28/31? What Sticker? My window sticker said 25 city 33 highway on 2.5i Limited.

#44 ·
My mistake. I got my window sticker out. It says 25/33, 28 combined. I guess I can't complain.

It makes sense now. Manufacturers typically estimate MPGs under ideal conditions, ie flat road driving, no wind resistance, etc. And my understanding is that the car will get MPGs as I drive it more.

I'm taking a weekend road trip today. I'll update with my highway MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.