Winter Tires for 2015 Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Winter Tires for 2015 Outback

Can anyone give me advice on which winter tires will work best for the Canadian winter (snow and ice)? I am getting the 3.6R with the 18" wheels. I've never owned a Subaru before and a major reason why I am buying one is for winter driving. I want to get tires that will maximize the vehicles snow potential!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Car: 05 VDC
I'd suggest you check out tirerack.com. They have expert test reviews as well as a lot of user reviews. Tires will come down to your driving style...How much highway...how often roads are clear or snow covered...price range..

I have the Michelin x-ices now and love them. Not squishy on dry roads and great on ice. In deep snow are ok. Have also had blizzacks. Great snow tire but was squishy to me on the highway, which I didn't care for. Others swear by them.
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:01 PM

Nokian Hakkapelliitta R2's are the best snow tire on the planet, bar none (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 Tires At Discount Prices - Free Shipping!). Bridgestone Blizzak's are also good, but only for the first 50% of the tread.
post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 PM

Car: Legacy 2.5 2011
Good tires for our weather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumerman View Post
Can anyone give me advice on which winter tires will work best for the Canadian winter (snow and ice)? I am getting the 3.6R with the 18" wheels. I've never owned a Subaru before and a major reason why I am buying one is for winter driving. I want to get tires that will maximize the vehicles snow potential!
Hey!

I live in Quebec, we get some of the worst winters in North America, and I have tried many of the main brands so far.

One comment mentions the Nokian, if you got the money, I'd agree they're very good and possibly worth the extra money (tough sell for me though... there are other great tires).

I have used bridgestone Blizzaks, Yokohama IG10 and IG20, Continental ExtremeWinterContact (very surprised!) as well as Toyo Observe GSI5 (currently on the wife's impreza, excellent all around!).

I have my 2015 outback 3.6R coming in the next 2 months and I'm still figuring out what I'll get. I won't get the Nokian for sure because, well, just can't justify the money honestly, I have driven other great winter tires that would give me great performance in all kinds of terrible conditions.

Bridgestone burns rubber like no other, so I won't get those for sure. Yoko hasn't been innovating much in recent years, yet the IG20 remains a solid winter tire. The Continental is extremely cheap and has provided me with a surprisingly comfortable, "sporty" and confident ride experience. You should know that continental equips most luxury german cars.

As for my next set of tires, right now I'd think the Toyo Observe GSI5 may be my choice. They're not the cheapest, but then safety is important. Seeing how they performed through a rough winter last year, I feel they'd be a very good pick for the new 3.6R...

In the end, just don't go with Michelin... Any other brand (major), like those I mentioned, should get you home safe as long as you drive safe

Enjoy!
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:14 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited (Pkg 23) CBS
Has anyone used the general Altimax Arctic before? Any feedback on them?
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Banned

I'm planning to put Michelin X-Ice Xi3 225/45r18 on my stock 18" wheels for winter.
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 AM

Car: 05 VDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom74 View Post
I'm planning to put Michelin X-Ice Xi3 225/45r18 on my stock 18" wheels for winter.
Ditto
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:44 AM

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BURUTOO View Post
Has anyone used the general Altimax Arctic before? Any feedback on them?
I have had them for three winters now and LOVE them. I have absolutely no complaints and will buy another pair to replace then when the time comes.

I have also used Blizzaks and Dunloo WinterSports on other cars. I feel that the Altimax Arctics are the best of the three.

-Jesse

2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, AWP. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch, 19mm RSB, coil SumoSprings on rear.
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:58 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited (Pkg 23) CBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I have had them for three winters now and LOVE them. I have absolutely no complaints and will buy another pair to replace then when the time comes.

I have also used Blizzaks and Dunloo WinterSports on other cars. I feel that the Altimax Arctics are the best of the three.
Thanks for the feedback. Their price is very reasonable as well. Will prolly get a set for this winter.
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:58 AM

The generals are excellent. You will notice a gas mileage but they are snow tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: