factory rear window tint, UV protection? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6 Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default factory rear window tint, UV protection?

wondering, does the factory rear windows tint has UV protection? do i have to go after market tint in order to have UV protection?
unicornz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Most glass blocks uv regardless of tint. In fact, you need specially produced glass to transmit uv light.
How to put a Modern Stereo in your 2005-2009 Outback with Automatic Climate Control
Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in diagnostic scanner?
rasterman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
Most glass blocks uv regardless of tint. In fact, you need specially produced glass to transmit uv light.
Respectfully, the above is incorrect (you may have read something regarding UVA vs UVB and it's penetration). You can indeed receive a "sun burn", DNA alteration and predispose yourself to skin cancers, cataracts or destruction of the outer layers of skin via sun and UV light transmitted *through* clear glass. That is because the ultra violet band/spectrum of rays are able to penetrate the glass.

That's why doctors more and more recommend sun glasses, sun block and UPF clothing now for people who are spending time in the sun (I have a typical northern European light complexion-I now wear a UPF "rashguard" when swimming and UPF rated shirt when hiking). I am a physician, and it is a concern of mine. Sun damage is cumulative.

"And since UVA penetrates glass, consider adding flat, tinted UV-protective film to your car's side and rear windows as well as to house and business windows. This film blocks up to 99.9 percent of UV radiation and lets in up to 80 percent of visible light."

Here is a good article to reference: http://www.skincancer.org/prevention...ng-uva-and-uvb

http://www2.epa.gov/sunwise/health-effects-uv-radiation

http://blog.pharmacymix.com/cataract...s-from-uv-rays

Not all tinting is of the same quality and effectiveness. Besides percentage of transmitted light, different tints provide greater or lesser percentages of UV radiation to enter your vehicle.

Without knowing the specifications for the "privacy glass" already on the car. I will be a applying "tint" film to all glass surfaces of my new Outback. It's a no brainer. ALWAYS protect yourself! Hedge your bets for a healthier and younger looking life! I wish we knew this information 40 years ago!

I don't mean to be argumentative on the subject. I just wanted to convey additional information. Thank you.
Brad99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

I always welcome corrections, and after a little bit more reading I'll admit that my previous statement is not accurate. The topic is worthy of more detailed understanding- thanks for taking the time to correct me.

I'll share the links I've recently read so that the original poster and others can each draw their own conclusions:

UV exposure in cars. [Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

UV Transmission, Sun Exposure Through Glass

Does my windshield protect me from the sun? - The Globe and Mail

Does glass block UV light?

Of particular interest is the increasing use of laminated safety glass in cars. This type of glass has been used in front windshields in the USA for decades. The plastic layer in the core of this glass appears to offer significantly improved UV protection. Now more automakers are using it for side and rear glass. I know Subaru did not use it anywhere other than the front windshield up through 2014, but I don't know what they've used in the new 2015s.
How to put a Modern Stereo in your 2005-2009 Outback with Automatic Climate Control
Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in diagnostic scanner?
rasterman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

I began getting sensitive spots on my face several years ago (when I was about 51 - I'm almost 60 now). Went to the dermatologist who said it was actinic keratoses. He freezes and scrapes them. During all this discussion and procedure, he asks if I was a mailman?

I said, "no, why?" He says, "well, we usually see these first on females on their right side and males on their left because of exposure through the side windows of the car while driving. Yours are on your right side which prompts me to wonder if you spent time as a mail carrier or driving in England, etc". I was astonished and told him "one of my first cars in high school was right hand drive. It was a 48 Willys Fleetvan and I could even drive it standing up with the door slid back" - not even any glass at all on my right side - just a safety strap across the door's opening! Then of course I said, "but doc, that was 30 years ago!" he said, "That's when a lot of this damage happens."

(Now, when I detect an AK spot, I use a wart remover kit and freeze it a coupla times myself - saves me an appointment and copay)

I also had a Bowen's cancer burned out of my right forearm.

UV damage is a real deal. My english/irish genetics has not served me well at this latitude - at least as far as my skin is concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: