Subaru Outback Forums banner

Tires and wheels that are proven to fit

Gen 5 
3M views 3K replies 808 participants last post by  DefaultOBUser 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The purpose of this thread is to become a sticky for educational and ogling purposes only. Please respect the purpose of this thread as it will be beneficial not only now while the 2015 is in its infancy, but also in a decade when some lucky newcomer gets a ride.

Please post your specs of tire and wheel, followed by a picture.
Tire specs should include brand/model along with the measurement.
Wheel Specs need to include width and offset of wheel as well as size.

Thank you

Mod Edit:

Here is a PDF showing sizes and wheels. 1 = rub 0 = no rub.

Most of Rub can still work if you remove mud flaps.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...5d1529338116-tires-wheels-proven-fit-doc1.pdf

Full credit goes to @Ktiemann for creating this PDF.

Thanks!

See less See more
#6 ·
You may need some minor wheel well modification (heat gun to shrink the liner, etc) if you are thinking about 235/70/17. Creso's 225/70/17 are maxing it out. There is one spot where they just barely touch at full lock and articulation. Minor enough to be fine for that size, but one size up would likely be problematic. But hey, give it a shot and let us know how it turns out!

#5 ·
Firestone Destination AT - 235/65/17

No rubbing or other contact. Pictures attached.

Attachments

#7 ·
On 2012 - 2014 Subaru Outbacks with 17" OEM wheels, you can safely upgrade from 225/60/17 to 235/60/17 tires. Some people have trimmed 1/16" off the inner portion of the mudflap (to prevent slight rubbing when sharply turning on steep inclines) and others report making no minor modification.

235mm size has a 1.7% taller rolling circumference difference (speedometer reads 1.7% lower) and the ride height difference is only .24" taller.

You can play around with the numbers on the Tire Size Calculator (below):

http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/

#9 ·
I wasn't a fan of the wheels that come on the Premium but they have grown on my (partly because they match the ice metallic silver). However, I do see new wheels sometime in the future. Find someone with a base 2.5i and they would probably be happy with your cast-offs if the price is right.

#12 ·
So I just got new wheels and thought I'd share. The other thread with wheel size was dead on with the new bolt pattern and these BBS SR Wheels 17x7.5 5x114.3 48mm offset 21.8lbs wheels fit with no problem. I was thinking about getting 18" wheels but the ones in my price range were all so heavy compared to the 17's and I thought it might be best to keep them as close to the original specs as possible of 17x7 5x114.3 55mm offset 24 lbs. I also didn't want to get new tires at this point. The BBS SR Wheels are about 2.2lbs lighter per wheel than the factory wheels and it feels like it accelerates just a little bit easier. I've only driven about 50 miles on them so far but I love how they drive. These are my first after market wheels ever bought and so far I'm glad I did. I almost bought the Sport Tuning T8 wheels because they are cheaper but I just wasn't sure about the long term reliability.

Here is how it use to look

#15 ·
So I just got new wheels and thought I'd share. The other thread with wheel size was dead on with the new bolt pattern and these BBS SR Wheels 17x7.5 5x114.3 48mm offset 21.8lbs wheels fit with no problem. I was thinking about getting 18" wheels but the ones in my price range were all so heavy compared to the 17's and I thought it might be best to keep them as close to the original specs as possible of 17x7 5x114.3 55mm offset 24 lbs. I also didn't want to get new tires at this point. The BBS SR Wheels are about 2.2lbs lighter per wheel than the factory wheels and it feels like it accelerates just a little bit easier. I've only driven about 50 miles on them so far but I love how they drive. These are my first after market wheels ever bought and so far I'm glad I did. I almost bought the Sport Tuning T8 wheels because they are cheaper but I just wasn't sure about the long term reliability.

Here is how it use to look

those are the exact rims i checked out on Tirerack as replacement for the OB. I'm glad to see it in pictures before committing to them and they look awesome!

#14 ·
So, with new rims + tires, new tpms sensors are needed. I read somewhere that these have to be "calibrated" to the car. Is this something that can be done through the dashboard menu system or does it have to be dealer programmed.

I was thinking about going with 17" 2015 WRX stock rims (black alloy).

Thanks..

This post has been deleted
#33 ·
Biesty wheels would of been my choice to replace the fugly 17" Premium wheels. 18x8 BBS SR Anthracite wheels paired with Limited OEM size 225/60/R18 Continental PureContact tires add taxes, TPMS, shipping the whole package would of cost around $2,000 on top of $28k that I'm paying for the Premium.

http://www.bbs-usa.com/road-wheels-detail.cfm?CLID=89&WF=4

Today I cancelled my VON on a 2015 2.5i Premium EyeSight ($28,000) and ordered 2015 2.5i Limited EyeSight ($31,500) instead. The difference is roughly $3,500 but I'll keep the 18" wheels, keyless start, Pin-code Access, memory seats, sunroof, navigation, and HK sound is probably worth it in the long run. I did not splurge for the 3.6R would of cost around $34k and I prefer the FA20 turbo engine from the Forester XT.

#36 ·
new TPMS is only if you're upgrading to 18" yeah? Saw on Tirerack these are listed either $215 or 245 depending on the finish. Would love to see these on the Blue, not sure how it would look , the safer choice would be the machined silver look. Either way, about a $1000 investment. I think worth it as the Premium's alloys are the most aesthetically unpleasing wheels I've seen in awhile.

This post has been deleted
#42 ·
This site doesn't understand the 2015 Limited has 18" OEM & Premium 17" OEM so it's a bit difficult to get comparisons... wheel width and offset also need to be considered. Looks as if it's going to be costly to fit winter tires, especially studded to a 18" 114.3 and good of used 16 or 17" alloys with proper stud pattern and offset may be difficult to match up???

#54 ·
Just FYI studded tires have been tested and shown to be inferior to unstudded tires once the studs start to wear (thousand miles or so). This is because the studs get rounded off, whereas the non-studded tires retain their flexibility and grip via sipes and soft, pliable compounds.

Studs aren't the way to go. If you want the best, look at the latest from Hakka, Bridgestone and Michelin.

#45 ·
Wheels: 2005-2007 OEM STi 17x8 +53
Tires: 2015 OEM Bridgestone 225/65r17

I bought a set of 5 wheels where three were painted Dupli-color Graphite. This presented me with a unique opportunity to test before I paint, and also share the wealth with ya'll

I am going to paint all of them graphite as that is what I prefer. New (aggressive) tires next year.

#47 ·
Wheels: Niche Verona M150 20X9 35mm Offset
Tires: Yokohama YK580 245/45R20
View attachment 99441
I am currently looking for wheels/tires for my '15 Outback. Looks like it's a toss up between 19's or 20's. Can you tell me if you've had any fitment issues? Did the front wheels need to be realigned because the 20's push out two more inckes? Any rubbing? Is there any room for a wheel to go in closer to the strut without rubbing it? Did the wheels need to be shaved or redrilled? If you could do it over would you go with a different offset or diameter?

Thanks in advance for any input you could give me.

#49 ·

2015 STI Base (Enkei)
Size: 18x8.5"
Offset: +55
Bolt Pattern: 5x114
Wheel Weight: 24.25
OEM-equipped tire size: 245/40-18

2015 STI Limited (BBS)
Size: 18x8.5"
Offset: +55
Bolt Pattern: 5x114
Wheel Weight: ?
OEM-equipped tire size: 245/40-18
Available in silver and gold.

I want to see the Silver BBS on a Outback. Here's the link to find other Subaru OEM 5x114.3 bolt patterns:

Master thread of OEM Subaru Wheel Specs - NASIOC