Subaru Outback Forums banner

Any, "Ah, didn't know about that" pleasant surprises ?

1M views 2K replies 621 participants last post by  Senor Valasco 
#1 ·
Current '15 owners...

Any pleasant surprises once you began your tryst with the OB '15 ? Be it under the hood or inside, driving experience or any tiny features... something not that well discussed/known.

Such as... "Ah, didn't notice the cargo hooks, didn't expect how useful the quarter window is etc. "

#5 ·
Didn't expect the windows in the rear doors to roll down entirely into the door. Only expensive cars I owned did that.

Surprised how well the voice commands work. In fact surprised how user friendly the entire entertainment package is to use.

Surprised at how well the CVT mimics the gear changes like a conventional transmission.

Surprised at how many more surprises there were.

Mike

#1,233 ·
interesting, i've had the car for about a week (2016), but so far i've had bad experience with the voice command…was hoping it could enter address for me while i'm driving onto my gps but it hasn't been useful. care to share how to make it better? thanks

#6 ·
In the Basic Screen of the Multi-Information Screen (page 3-35 in the manual), when you have nav engaged for a destination, you see directions for a turn or other changes--almost a "mini-nav instruction view" in the instrument cluster.

Seeing the direction (N, E, W, S, etc.) that you are heading back inside the rear view mirror.

A holder for sunglasses--located by the controls for the moonroof and overhead lights.

Being able to attach a garage door opener again on the visor (when not using Home Link).

#8 ·
When you see the image of a car above the bars, that indicates ES is locked onto the vehicle in front of you. It doesn't matter if it's accelerating away or decelerating, it's ES letting you know it's tracking a vehicle.

I did notice that on the display of your own car, when ES is braking, it will light the brake lights on the image. Neat way to know if ES is engine braking vs. caliper braking.

#10 ·
Seeing pix of artists when playing back MP3's, et al. I'm guessing for MP3's without an embedded pix the photo comes up???? Is that from Sirius or what?

I'm a little surprised, though, at some of the artists the unit can't find a pix for and substitutes a generic image, usually of a music genre. Would be really cool (but far from essential or needed) if the pix for an artist could vary.

#16 ·
Coming from a 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited (Mine) and 2012 Legacy i2.5 Limited (Wife's) to a 2015 Outback Limited 3.6R w/Nav. & ES (Mine) and a 2015 Legacy i2.5 Limited (Wife's):

1. Not having to search for the button for the interior lights while in the dark - Buttons are now built into the lens which are much easier to find.
2. A holder for the gas cap on the gas door instead of having to let the gas cap hang against the body panel.
3. Lighted door handle pockets on the interior of the door. Really like the blue lighting!
4. Digital MPH on the instrument cluster along with digital display of cruise set speed.
5. 1-MPH and 5-MPH increase and decrease increments in cruise set speed depending on how far the button is pressed.
6. Coin & small item holder in center console.
7. Not having to worry about my battery going dead due to the headlights being on because I left my keys in the ignition while in my garage.

#17 ·
2. A holder for the gas cap on the gas door instead of having to let the gas cap hang against the body panel.
My 2011 has a hook on the gas cover door to hang the lanyard connected to the gas cap - I would think both your old Subaru's would have that as well.

#23 ·
What is your setup for playing videos? Phone connected via USB? what model, app, etc. thx!

Just noticed I can watch video's on the non-Nav infotainment system when the car is in park.

Also set a custom screen off image - pretty cool.

Also I like the blinkers - they blink three times even if you just press and release. Didn't realize how awesome that is until I drove my wife's car after a few weeks.

#28 ·
Someone on here once mentioned it elsewhere, but I'll reiterate. If you remove the rear and passenger headrests you can fold the rear seat down and move the passenger seat fully forward and recline fully, you have a (relatively) flat surface to slide long items onto.

I was able to transport a closet organizer this way, went from hatch to dash. Around 9.5 feet length to worth with I believe.

#30 ·
I like that (on the models with keyless access) you can lock all the doors from the rear hatch (2nd button to the right of the hatch open button). I wish you could also use it to unlock all the doors too, but that doesnt appear to be a feature/option available - not sure the logic on that.

#34 ·
You can go into your vehicle settings and allow the rear hatch open button to unlock either the rear hatch only or all doors. I believe this is a security measure. You can also change the settings to only unlock the driver's side door from the driver's side or unlock all of the doors. I have my settings set to a specific key fob. That way when my wife drives only the driver's door will unlock from the driver's side but my key unlocks all of the doors from the driver's side. I don't want somebody jumping in the car from the passenger side when she is trying to get in the driver's side.

#33 ·
Picked mine up yesterday and wasn't sure if it would allow me to use GPS on my phone (I didn't get the nav package).

It certainly did allow me to use my gps! and even if you're on a phone call the gps will lower the call volume to provide you with your directions! Still trying to figure out if its possible to display the associated map on the screen, but this was definitely a pleasant surprise!

#47 ·
Still trying to figure out if its possible to display the associated map on the screen, but this was definitely a pleasant surprise!
This is coming with a technology called Mirrorlink or Carplay. Mirrorlink is an open standard that is currently working on some Android devices (see: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/175481-mirrorlink-works-fine-proof-3.html) and theoretically could work on iPhones if Apple or a third-party developer decided to support it.

However... Apple being Apple, they have created their own "standard" called Carplay, which AFAIK isn't supported by any manufacturer as of yet. I believe there are rumors of it being supported on 2016 models and further rumors of it probably never working for us. :(

#35 ·
Eyesight and switching lanes

I currently have a 2.5 Limited on order (due to arrive in Oct.). My wife does not want the ES because we can't get an answer to this question. When switching lanes from (example) lane-1 across lane-2 to end up in lane-3; if there is a car in lane-2 that you are crossing behind but not going to follow, will the ES system hit the brakes if the car is somewhat close to you as you travel across lane-2? I hope this makes sense and could use a real life answer.

Also, I currently have a 2012 Legacy 2.5 premium without Navigation. I have to manually select and connect my phones Bluetooth to the car each time I enter the car (my Bluetooth is always turned on in the phone). My Toyota automatically connects and disconnects as I enter or exit the vehicle (so long as my Bluetooth is turned on in the phone). Will the 2015 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav/HK system automatically connect?

#36 ·
I currently have a 2.5 Limited on order (due to arrive in Oct.). My wife does not want the ES because we can't get an answer to this question. When switching lanes from (example) lane-1 across lane-2 to end up in lane-3; if there is a car in lane-2 that you are crossing behind but not going to follow, will the ES system hit the brakes if the car is somewhat close to you as you travel across lane-2? I hope this makes sense and could use a real life answer.

Also, I currently have a 2012 Legacy 2.5 premium without Navigation. I have to manually select and connect my phones Bluetooth to the car each time I enter the car (my Bluetooth is always turned on in the phone). My Toyota automatically connects and disconnects as I enter or exit the vehicle (so long as my Bluetooth is turned on in the phone). Will the 2015 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav/HK system automatically connect?
I can't answer the first question as I don't have ES. For the second question, my Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav/HK auto connects each time so yours should also.

#51 ·
I just notice today you can use voice command to change the climate control setting. Say "change temperature to 70 degree" and see what happen. They don't even mention it on the manual. I was told by the sales person that the voice command only work for audio and phone command. That's a pleasant surprise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.