Subaru Outback Forums banner

SRVD Disabled | Check Manual (page 7-57)

120K views 98 replies 62 participants last post by  MBK 
#1 ·
Well, I had the Outback for five days and it broke.

I went to the beach for lunch last Friday. Watched planes practicing for an air show. When I left the beach, I got the SRVD Disabled | Check Manual message. Drove it to the dealer.

He didn't know what was going on, but said that the manual implied it might be a temporary thing, so go home and see if it turns off over night.

Needless to say, it didn't. The car is back in the shop, and the service department says that Subaru technical assistance isn't returning his calls. At least I've got a loaner, since my one week old OB is sitting at the dealership.

Grump.

#7 ·
I probably should be more explicit about the idiot lights. Bear with me; I'm in a base level loaner.

If you turn it off, a small light in either the speedometer or tachometer lights up. When it turns itself off, a message appears at the top of the multi function panel, right below the mpg ribbon, an i shows up at the bottom of the middle panel, and a specialized idiot light goes off in the middle.

When the message goes away, you can get it back by pulling on the middle section of the 7 o'clock lever on the steering wheel.

#8 ·
We'll this happened to me as we'll, on a trip about a month ago approx, Dealer looked at it and they had to reset it, I was told that the sensors ( in the back bumpers might need to be adjusted, ( they didn't have the new equipment to adj. them yet) and if it did go back out then I was suppose to bring it back in, ( they should have the new equipment by now). But it hasn't gone out again,,,, Another electronic thing ,,,,, you cannot reset it yourself if it is shut down by the computer. It will stay off until it's reset by the maintenance person!

#11 ·
My SRVD OFF indicator light shows up randomly when I start my car. If the SRVD is off I cannot turn it on by toggling the ON/OFF switch. If the SRVD is on when I start driving the car it will remain on, it does not appear to shut itself off once it is activated. If it is off after the vehicle is started and driven it cannot be activated.

Edit: 12/4/2014 - After posting the above, the problem miraculously solved itself. It has not failed to work properly since. ????????

#15 ·
My SRVD OFF indicator light shows up randomly when I start my car. If the SRVD is off I cannot turn it on by toggling the ON/OFF switch. If the SRVD is on when I start driving the car it will remain on, it does not appear to shut itself off once it is activated. If it is off after the vehicle is started and driven it cannot be activated.
First post, this for me too. So far, it has happened three times intermittently in a month with my 2015 OB LTD. Really hoping this isn't going to be a problem Subaru can't/won't fix.

Any updates from dealers yet?

#16 ·
Hmm. I got the "SRVD disabled" warning too. Yesterday early evening/sunset, while leaving the coast. There was mud and sand kicked up, I would try and wash it, but it's been in the 20's. LOL. But there is no mud caked on the bumper exterior. No snow. I will give it a day or two and then take it in.
I'm curious for updated info from everyone else also.

#17 · (Edited)
This happened to me yesterday! as soon as i turned on the car i received a messaged that the SRVD has been disabled, i pressed the button to try to enable it and it did nothing.

After i got to work i started the car again and it went away.

A little worried this technology will be a hassle once the warranty is over.

temp was in the hi 40's lo 50's when I started it. no precipitation.

Update:it happened again this evening. Going in for an oil change next week will bring this issue up.

#18 ·
Happened to me this morning after returning to the car from an errand. Drove for 10 mins. Another errand and when i started up again, it had cleared. ?? Not sure what or why. Love the car with the exception of the rear power gate. Looks like it is out of alignment as the left side sticks out about 1cm whereas the right side closes flush.

#20 ·
So, to those that have had the SRVD disabled "reset", what did your dealership do? Is this what Subaru directed them to do? Has the problem shown up again?
I suspect this may turn into a "wind noise" type issue.
I am in a loaner car until the sensors are replaced, the direction of Subaru. This is after a full data review, with no codes present. Interesting.
Yay. Just what I wanted to hear, we have never seen this before. :surprise:

#21 ·
I've had my Legacy since August. I have been having this same SRVD problem for several weeks. I've been keeping a log to see if there is a pattern. Last week I dropped my car for them to try and replicate the problem. The light didn't come on while they had it, but they found stored past codes in the system from 26 key cycles ago. They opened a case with Suburu. The day after they had it, the light came back on again. One time I was driving, the light came on, went off, and then popped on again. It is happening so randomly, and has happened during warm and cooler temperatures.

#27 ·
My light came on again this morning on second start (after dropping kids off at daycare). I decided to take it directly to the dealer to have them look at it while it is on because it is so unpredictable and intermittent.

First, they said it was normal in cold weather because the snowflake icon was on too. I said no and explained that the manual says it is a malfunction and it doesn't come on every time it's cold. Funny how I have to explain to the dealer what the book says but whatever.

They took it "around back" and said that it had stored codes so they would contact Subaru's tech department to see how to proceed. The fact that it has stored codes is apparently a good thing since it means there is a documentable issue so I feel better. My issues are usually undocumentable, lol.

We'll see what happens.

#28 ·
Well. My Outback has been at the dealer for a week. They have replaced the radar sensors, are working on calibration. I hope to have it back Friday in perfect condition and detailed. Man, I'm glad I didn't get the eyesight system. Lol.
I really miss my car with the H6. How the **** can anyone think a 4 cylinder is adequate? What an anemic slug. Lol. I don't care if it gets 2-3 mpg better, for the amount of time I spend in a vehicle, why not be happy and have power. For reference my loaner is a 2015 Forester pzev H4, a green house. Lol. Yes, I'm grumpy.

#31 ·
My 2015 Legacy Limited (mfr Oct 2014) just did it, too, at 4 days and 200 miles. It seems it's every other start. I've not seen it fail after startup. The tech at my dealer is one of the top techs in the country (he's been flown to Japan for competitions and called by Cherry Hill to help solve problems the Subaru engineers cannot), so I'm hopeful. One could argue this doesn't affect the driveabilty of the car (the dealer is not claiming that), but I just spent almost thirty grand and I want this feature, which was a reason I bought the car, to work.

I got a '15 Legacy Premium as a loaner (interesting differences - it rides noticeably different), and I must pay $5 per day for the stupid Homeland Security fee (I think Subaru should eat that; I've already been inconvenienced with a 40-mile round trip to the dealer and 90 minutes of my life on a brand-new car).

One more note: the tech said the only other time he's seen this it turned out to be a loose wire in the passenger mirror.

#32 ·
Dealer just called. Said the system is disabled when ice/snow is covering any sensor. I pointed out there was nothing on the car when the errors occurred. Service rep parroted her initial statement. I repeated. As did she. I suppose I can either live with it randomly working or wait for three failures and go Lemon Law. FTS

#33 ·
Any news on this?

My SRVD went down 2 weeks after purchase, while driving. The mirror warning lights come on whenever I start, then they go off and center screen shows "SRVD disabled / Check owner manual". It never came back on. No dirt / snow / anything at all on the rear bumper area.

Took it to dealership now, and they will investigate - they have no idea what this is (had no idea what SRVD was to begin with).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.