Subaru Outback Forums banner

Fumoto Valve vs EZ Oil Drain Valve

107K views 181 replies 72 participants last post by  Justin3.6R 
#1 ·
#97 ·
I haven't had a Fumoto valve on our last two Subaru vehicles, but I did for the four prior to those - and never had an issue through hundreds of thousands of accumulate miles and many, many oil changes.

My LGT was lowered, and despite such, was still "soft roaded" not infrequently due to my hobbies. I never had a problem with the Fumoto valve on it, and to the best of my knowledge, that vehicle, on which I installed the valve in 2006, is now with is third owner, and is still using that valve.

#99 ·
Sorry it took so long to reply..I leave it vertical still connected to the fumoto for a few minutes after its stop draining the oil. Disconnect it from the valve,wipe the outside of the hose with one paper towel,then lay it on top of the screen on the drain pan and screw on the top. It stays put until the next time you use it. Also use same paper towel to wipe the area where the oil filter mounts. I don't jack up the car,just slide under on a plastic cardboard,slip on the hose to the fumoto,the other end in the drain screen hole on the collection pan. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes. In the pictures the car is on the jack, that's when I installed the fumoto valve.Since then I don't need to lift the vehicle.

#103 ·
It works for both..
for my gen 3 it makes no difference what kind of valve, the 2.0 6cyl motor's oil drain hole aims down, any device screwed into the pan in place of the plug hangs down below the oilpan. Not familiar with the 3.6R, sorry for invading your forum with my ignorance.. Does your oil drain hole not point down at the ground from the bottom of the pan? If not, mine is different than yours.. so ymmv, and I can only say the drain valve is not a match for Gen 3 H6

I drive on mild dirt roads with some ruts, but I dont have a metal skid plate covering the oil pan.

I would not consider a drain valve safe unless there was a metal skid plate preventing it from dragging over a rock, branch, or dirt pile. My mechanic refused to install it for all those reasons.

It may be great on a motor whose oil drain hole aims sideways, but not on an oil pan that drains from the bottom.. no matter what brand, length, or configuration of the outlet direction.. I got the EZ Drain, its available if someone wants to make me an offer, please PM.. new, never installed.

also, the metal skid plate available for my motor has to be removed when changing oil filters, because they screw on sideways, unlike the 4 cyl apparently..

back to your gen 5 program, sorry for the detour

#105 ·
Interesting. Having just read through the whole thread, I realized I have been tolerating the need to be really quick :surprise: in trying to get the drain plug out of the way before the deluge of hot oil comes pouring out.:banghead:

So, not having seen the bottom of a 3.6R, I am wondering how a Fumoto valve will sit once installed with respect to clearance and whether there is any issue with the valve's orientation once installed, that is can you only screw it in so that the release lever is only pointed down to be able to access it or?

Thanks for your help.

#106 ·
I've been following discussions on Fumoto oil drain valves for over three years, not only on this website but also on BobistheOilGuy.Com, which is almost exclusively for auto maintenance, but primarily about engine oil. To date I've never seen a single report of someone having a Fumoto or Kwik Valve breaking off. And I can only recall of one report of a valve leaking, and that was not the valve itself, but the gasket.

The only complaints I have heard are that some feel it takes too long for oil to drain through the valve, and the concern of the valve extending too far into the pan and blocking a full drain.

I also worried about the possibility of the Fumoto valve breaking off, but once installed I got down in front of my car and took a "sight" across the lowest points under my car. It was quickly obvious that the valve is far from the lowest point. If I ever hit the valve, I've got much bigger problems, as I will have also destroyed the tranny, a muffler, the differentials, the suspension. Well, you get the point.

Crawl under your car and take a look. Decide for yourself.

#113 ·
I have a 2012 3.6R Outback.
… There is about a 1/2 inch clearance between the skid plate and the EZ Oil Drain Valve.
Thank You!

nipple sits 1/2" above skid plate plane

I think a metal skid plate would be a requirement for me to use the drain valve.

Would You use the drain valve if you did not have the Metal Skid Plate? Or would you worry?:)

top row for 06-09, botton row 2010+ (for corresponding 3.0R and 3.6R H6 motors unless Im mistook)

fwiw:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/134041-skid-plates-2.html
I off road in SW Arizona. With the 2012 3.6R it is almost impossible to change an oil filter without removing the skid plate.
sounds like the skid plate is needed to protect the drain valve on a 6cyl motor, but the skid plate has to come off, to do an oil change.. hmmm.. I still have a drain valve for sale… PM me any reasonable offer..

here is a Fumoto on a 2005 OBXT with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder motor, note the drain sticks out sideways, not down like the 6 cyl install

some people who are happy with the drain valve, dont include info whether they have a 4 cyl motor with a drain that sticks out sideways, or just like to live dangerously.. LOL

#118 ·
No need to slam people. … I do remove the Primative Skid plate
I meant it as a compliment, but apologize that it was taken as a slam.

thanks for sharing your experience, including the confirmation that the Primitive plate has to come off

I want a Primitive plate myself, been hemming and hawing, but as far as the drain valve, most of all appreciate your reference to the skid plate

very helpful, and again, apologize for any offense given

#120 ·
.. As for the skid plate… Also protects my EZ oil drain valve.
Very helpful.

I would not install a drain valve without a skid plate in my car, for my needs, and where I drive offroad.

But since the skid plate has to come off for oil changes, I dont see any reason to install a drain, for my needs.

IF the oil filter change was possible with the skid plate installed, like it is with the 4 cylinders, then I would install a drain valve, to eliminate the need to remove the skid plate..

anyway, thanks for sharing all the info.

I still have an EZ drain I dont plan to install, somebody could get a good deal if they PM me.

#121 ·
LOL, did I miss something? Who got slammed? Because lavarock certainly didn't.
I must admit feeling a bit miffed when, after trying to be helpful by suggesting that ramps may be preferred when working on the 3.6 (8.7" clearance, just like in 2012), I'm quoted and told that it's been done over and over and couldn't be easier. That's very helpful, thanks. Sheesh.

#126 ·
Did not have much choice in orientation since it seats metal/metal.:smile2:
thanks for sharing, including photos.

Im guessing you could add a brass washer and then have the option to change the orientation. I have not tried, I decided not to install my EZDrain when I realized that on my H6 the oil drain points Down, making the drain a low point with more risk of hitting something offroad. I have not invested in a skid plate to protect the drain.

Fortunately in your case, the 2.5 drain points sideways, so does not compromise ground clearance.

Finally did my first change through the Fumoto
congrats, I see you also have a 2.5. IMO the drains are best suited for motors like yours, that drain sideways. Thanks for including your motor type in your profile.

#125 ·
Finally did my first change through the Fumoto and very impressed. Hot oil flowed fast but no splashing due to the smaller stream. I bought the standard model, no extensions.

#128 ·
So far no leaks from EZ drain valve. Next oil change is a few months away. The first oil change was a mess. When removing the stock oil plug, the hot thin oil shot really far and missed the oil pan. Ruined a T shirt. Good thing I took my dress shirt off first! May use a hose on the EZ drain valve for next oil change.

#130 ·
I just got interested in the Fumoto today, but I do have a question: in every car I owned before, the oil drain plug was magnetic and attracted all the metal particles due to wear, and that would be wiped and cleaned before reinstall. What happens in this case here ? ( Assuming the plug is still magnetic on the Subaru ).We're not removing the plug at all in all future oil an oil changes. Thanks

#131 ·
Differential and transmission plugs typically have magnets. But OEM Subaru drain plugs do not. Much of the softer material that will fail in a motor is not magnetic...unless you are lunching pistons and rings.

That is no reason to not get the valve.

There is a Guy that has sourced some very powerful magnets for the CVT and the diffs, and that site does have a magnetic drain plug. However, if you have magnetic debris in the crankcase...you have bigger problems than a drain plug decision

#135 ·
I just looked on Subaru parts page, and they do have a separate magnet for the oil pan # 31392AA030. From the picture, it looks separate and internal , on the other side of the drain plug. It's a different system than my older Nissans. So I guess it does not matter which oil plug I use.

#137 ·
Are you sure? I don't disagree all oil eventually goes through the filter but generally only the high pressure bypass from oil pump is run through filter on its way back to the crankcase where its staged for another pass through the oil pump then either through the engine or through the filter again.

#140 ·
I have a Fomoto Valve installed in my 2015i Limited. I bought the valve and had Subaru install it an oil change ago. It's an approved part by Subaru. They gave me a discount on the next oil change based on less work, then they charged me more on the next one as they discovered it took more time to drain the oil out!!!!

Gene

#141 ·
What?

Variable rates based on the above. You gotta Kitten Me Any dealer that doesn't have a set $ for a fluid change...should not be trusted. That's like the .... "oh this car is from the Midwest...it depends on the rust rate"

As someone who does all of his own work ... and wrenches at a discount for forum members...the above is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

#146 ·
If anyone is in Edmonton looking for the EZ-Drain EZ-108 i picked one up locally for $26 CDN.

Frontier Power Products - Edmonton
9204 - 37 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5L4, Canada

Ph: 780-455-2260

It's had the long nipple on it already... I'll get a pic tonight...

#147 ·
I have been changing my own oil on every car I have owned since I learned to drive. I have *never* heard of such a device. I can not believe this!

I just purchased a 2.5i Premium, but neither of the websites listed on page one list sizes for the 2017 models, one not even for the 2016.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the 2017 would have the same size requirements as the 2016? I e-mailed both, Fumoto responded with:
We don't currently have any information on the 2017 models. We likely will not have anything until the first quarter of 2017.
Only have 600 miles on my baby, no rush, but I'd like to have one of these in hand for my first oil change so I never have to do that again. Oh my Lord, why have I never used this before? Couple that with the top side oil filter, I'm going have my 10 year old changing my oil for me!

PittCaleb

#151 ·
My feelings is that the mag plug will just provide an indicator that you have iron filings in there. Collection and removal of filings never crossed my mind.

The quick drain plug is a convenience, and a large one. I only wish that the drain hole was closer in size to the OEM plug's

#154 ·
#153 ·
I've never heard of a filter magnet! Sounds like a good idea providing that the oil goes into the outer case and THEN passes through the paper filter. The opposite doesn't sound effective and is maybe a hazard if the metal particles can get pulled through the paper over time.

Pics aren't too clear, but it doesn't look like anything was captured in the filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.