Subaru Outback Forums banner

Glare questions

11K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  wanglee920 
#1 ·
Hello:

I am waiting for my 2015 Outback with Nav and eyesight to arrive.

I am getting concerned about people reporting glare blocking visibility of maps and displays.

There are several posts about a problem with glare associated with :
1) A metal strip producing glare and then blocking the display.
2) A combination of sunroof light , windshield light , and the navigation unit causing "dangerous" glare blocking the view of the nav unit.

A couple of questions:
1) People started reporting this in August. Have more recently produced Outbacks fixed this yet?
2) For people who have these vehicles, how bad is this? Is it bad enough that you regret buying the vehicle? Is it bad enough that you have to wear sunglasses while driving?

3) Can Subaru fix this without a redesign of the dashboard / navigation units?

See less See more
#2 ·
In my experience, at best it drowns out the time/climate displays and buttons. At worst - when moving away from early or late sun - it's like a mirror directing sun right at you if you glance at the center displays...I have to put my hand in front of the reflection to avoid getting sun blinded. I don't regret buying the vehicle but I hope they come up with a solution. People have suggested anti-glare film but I'm afraid this will dim the almost invisible time/temp even more.

#4 ·
That link is to a product that is a noticeably tinted film. Anti-glare films are usually clear and will likely have a matte/satin finish to them (so they don't reflect light like a glossy surface would). Like this:

Anti-Glare Protectors

These products are usually designed to minimize the impact on what you see from the display.

#3 ·
I almost always wear sunglasses when driving in the daytime, so it isnt a problem to me. I usually keep the sunroof closed so maybe that's another reason I really haven't noticed it. Also, I havent encountered the "metal strip producing glare and then blocking the display" issue, but I have the limited with the wood grain, so maybe that's the reason this hasn't been an issue as well.

#6 ·
Sorry. It appears to have been one of those automated advertisement links based off of words you use in your response. I thought you had embedded the link yourself.

#7 ·
I test-drove a 2015 Outback this weekend, and I noticed the bright glare from the navigation system screen immediately. I wouldn't go so far to say it's a danger (although I wasn't actually trying to use the navigation system at the time) but it is extremely irritating. Strange that no one at the factory noticed this design flaw.

#8 ·
I would like to know if anyone tries one of those tablet/iPad anti-glare films. Seems like they should work. Don't have my OB yet or otherwise I would try myself.

What is the measurements of the screen that needs protecting (premium)? This would seem like a great after market opportunity to have a custom fit anti-glare protector.

Maybe something like this would work: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Anti-Glare-Anti-Fingerprint-Screen-Protector/dp/B008UHK3KM[/ame]

#11 ·
I am a new member to this forum... I own a 2010 Outback Limited and was going to Trade
for a new 2015 OB Limited with eyesight...Pearl white with Ivory leather, sunroof & nav.

I have been unable to test drive one, because no one has any 2015s in stock with Eyesight
or without...
I am concerned about the glare... I see that Subaru fixed the "wind problem".

Comments on this site seem to say that the Limited OB does not have the glare problem.
Is that true...?

Do I wait for the 2016? or take a chance

Thanking you all for your advice

Bernie

#14 ·
Comments on this site seem to say that the Limited OB does not have the glare problem.
Is that true...?
I have the Limited and often get the glare where I can't see the time/temp display. If I'm driving east around sunset I also get a full on sun reflection that I have to shield with my hand, mostly off the ff/rev buttons to the right of the screen. Some folks report fixing this with anti-glare film which I still haven't tried but will soon.

#13 ·
I noticed this glare the other day. I have a premium without Nav. It was irritating shining on the radio display but I also always drive with sunglasses so not dangerous by any means. I just couldn't see the display. I had that problem with my previous car with a Kenwood 6" Nav. Couldn't see the screen without shading with my hand.

#15 ·
Abox,

Thank you for the info...
Questions:
Are you sorry you purchased the OB?
Which inside leather package do you Have on your limited, Ivory or Black?
What is the ex color? Do you have a sunroof?

I hope to test drive as soon as the dealers get an INV

I hope I do not have to wait for the 2016...

Many Thanks

Bernie

#16 ·
Not sorry; it's a definite improvement over my 09 2.5, mostly the butter smooth 3.6 in the mountains, which is why I bought it. I have the red exterior, black interior, no sunroof.

My 09 was also due for some expensive service which is another reason I made the purchase when I did. If you're not in a hurry you may want to wait for 2016 and see if they've fixed some of the glare and display issues...small matters but why deal with the annoyance if you don't have to. If you're in a crunch and need the car now I wouldn't let it break the deal.

Another consideration about waiting...if you're trading in, a year could mean $2000 depreciation. 2k can buy a lot of aftermarket glare fixes.

#17 ·
Abox,

I bought a new 2015 OB limited with eyesight & Pearl White with Black Leather
arrived on 1/3/15. Love the car...

"No Glare Problems or Wind noise Problems. Three weeks of driving, All systems
are working...

Thanks for your advice not to wait for 2016. This OB has many Improvements
over my OB trade...

Bernie

#20 ·
I owned many cars over the years of different makes and models. Not a single one of those cars was immune to glare at some point in time or other during the day. I have a 2015 2.5i Limited with Eyesight. Yes, I experience glare somewhere among the instruments each day. It is always temporary. If I have the moonroof open, that is often a cause of glare. Solution is simple, I just close it. I am not sure if there is any form or transportation that totally eliminates glare from our lives. Even walking has glare issues if one wears sunglasses. Bottom line for me is the purported glare issue in the 2015 Outback is a non-issue.

#26 ·
Bottom line for me is the purported glare issue in the 2015 Outback is a non-issue.
If I had bought the car a month ago I'd have said the same thing. It really depends where you live, the times and routes you travel, and the time of year. I haven't been bothered by glare all winter, however that doesn't change the fact that it was very significant in the summer and fall. This is the fourth vehicle I've owned since moving to CO ten years ago and the first with any glare issue.

#30 ·
I have the side windows in my OB tinted, no need on the moon roof because it already has a dark tint. My wife has a 2014 Forester and we had the side windows and the moon roof done. The moonroof on the Forester is huge and had little or no tint, the heat was awful and the tint made an enormous difference. It is much harder to do the moonroof than it is the side windows, but it came out beautifully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.