Subaru Outback Forums banner

Serious problem with key fob accidentally opening hatch

30K views 61 replies 26 participants last post by  stevenva 
#1 ·
Sometimes I really despise certain technologies. Yesterday was an example of that. I was eating dinner after picking up my new Outback 3.6 2015. My dog was waiting in the car for me. At the end of the meal a waitress came by looking for the owner of a black outback, told me that the hatch was open and had been awhile. I **** near panicked, I love me dog more than people and the thought of him walking around the streets looking for me was terrifying. Luckily he's a smart boy and he just stayed there in the car. But it made me hate that key fob.

I figure it went off while in my pocket somehow and I now don't trust the thing at all. Have any of you encountered this problem? If so what's the solution. Can I somehow reduce the distance the keys work at or do I just need to line my pockets with RF blocking material?

#2 ·
Don't keep it in your pocket? Seriously, my Nissan titan remote has given me a similar issue. When holding down the unlock button for several seconds, the front windows will roll down. I had that happen at work during a rainy day, soaked my front leather seats :(

So now, I set my keys on my desk or whatever, no more accidental "butt dialing".

#7 ·
i'm one of those 5.11 cargo pant wearing guys that likes everything in it's place so i have to find a way to work this one out, already place my phone on the table like a gun so adding keys to that will just be more bait for my baby to puck with **** on the table hehheh

#6 ·
Never understood why they don't make these with a sliding "mute" switch on the side.

I've inadvertently locked and unlocked mine countless times, and I never liked how big the whole assembly is- I really miss the old all-metal keys.

I did glue a guitar pick over the panic button, so at least that one never gets me anymore.

#9 ·
Sorry if I sound harsh, but I could not deal with that situation. I'm hoping I would have been smart enuf not to have gotten one with something like that in the first place.

But if not, I'd take the financial hit and trade it in on a vehicle that I could keep its starting mechanism in my pocket without having to worry about chit like that. My 2014 base model OB fortunately only has a regular key and manually operated liftgate.

#10 ·
A simple problem should have a simple solution. I have a little $2 leather pouch with two partitions: the fob in the small one while all other keys in the larger one. A soft fabric ribbon connects the two so I'll never lose or drop either one while holding the pouch. Depending on situation, I sometimes hook the ribbon or the pouch to my belt, or hang the pouch over my neck.

A complex solution like trading in for another car may bring new and more severe problems.

#19 ·
DW made me a couple of "pouches" out of heavy material scraps she had around. They work great and protect the fobs from scratches etc., and do not interfere with the keyless opening, locking or starting. I do carry it in my pocket but never suffer from this problem.

Another solution is to just take the battery out of the fob and revert to all manual! Cheaper than changing cars.

#25 ·
+1. This appears to be the standard keyless entry, not keyless access. I have had that for 20 years and never have encountered a problem. I've had keyless access in my last three vehicles without any similar problems.

The simple solution is just move the keys to a different pocket or onto a small carabiner. No need for special pouches, etc.

#22 ·
As a trivia note, this is exactly why when the iPhone was designed and first revealed in 2007 it used/uses a slide to unlock gesture to prevent any accidental "button" presses while in your pocket.

So in my opinion there is a design flaw in this system that allows people to easily activate buttons just by having it in your pocket.

#34 ·
@codell23 I think I've seen a few threads on this board about issues relating to the power liftgate in which people have said they've disconnected the arms that raise/lower the gate, effectively turning it into a manual gate. I might be off on the details, but if that would be an option then you could check for those threads to figure out exactly what was done.

-rca

#37 ·
can you just leave "key" in car?

I couldn't avoid keyless in the package I chose. I've never used that system. If you leave the extra set inside the car, in the glove box for example, will the engine start when you push the button?
(My experience: too many electronic "features" in cars fail or turn left sooner or later, usually sooner. I'm almost dreading the no-latch tailgate feature. )

#38 ·
I couldn't avoid keyless in the package I chose. I've never used that system. If you leave the extra set inside the car, in the glove box for example, will the engine start when you push the button?
(My experience: too many electronic "features" in cars fail or turn left sooner or later, usually sooner. I'm almost dreading the no-latch tailgate feature. )
yep that's what i figure too, i like to keep most things somewhat manual for that reason. and yes if you leave the fob in the car it will start if anyone is in the car and hits the button. you can disable the fob but then you can't start the cart till you reenable it and that would be a major pain to do each time. the RF blocking pouches seem to be the only option.

#39 ·
I have a Hyundai and I keep my key fob in my pocket. There is nothing else in my pocket at all, just the key fob. I'm a girl so I carry a purse but with all the purse snatching going on here I'd rather keep my key on me. Well, I'm constantly unlocking it by accident. Not from anything hitting it, but just basic body movements like bending over will put enough pressure on the button to open it. And I wear baggy "mom" jeans, so I can't blame it on tight jeans either. lol

If I'm understanding this correctly, just hitting the unlock button also opens the gate? So even if you just want to get into the driver's side and don't need access to the cargo area, the gate will automatically open too when you unlock your front door? Then you have to remember to close the gate before you drive off every single time? Is this right?

I haven't ordered my Outback yet but plan to over the next few days. I wish they had the power gate option separate from EyeSight. I don't want a power gate. I don't even want EyeSight but I have to get it for the features I do want, which are the blind spot detection, lane change assist and rear cross traffic alert. EyeSight is the only way to get them in the Premium model. Now I'm starting to think twice about getting EyeSight. I assumed the power gate could be disabled but apparently not. Seems like the power gate is going to be more trouble than it's worth.

One thing I have noticed about Subaru is that they don't make it easy to just get the options you want. To get the options you want you're stuck with a bunch of stuff you don't want.

#47 ·
... I had heard of some people getting the blind spot, etc. on the Premium without EyeSight ...
With Premium trim SRVD is optional, only available bundled in a package with EyeSight and other features. With Limited trim SRVD comes standard, and EyeSight is an option only available bundled in a package.

I agree that SOA, via your dealer, is the final authority on what option combinations can and cannot be ordered.

#49 ·
So for awhile I started using an EMF proof case for my FOB but eventually I got lazy and decided to go back to the naked FOB. Bad call, twice in one week the thing opened my trunk likely only from pressure in my front pocket. Luckily my dog is so **** good he just stayed in the car but I **** near had a panic attack both times. Maybe if I write Subaru and remind them that our furry friends can be left venerable due this the poor design of key FOBs then perhaps they will design something new.

#50 ·
I was approaching my garage in my car with my wife’s 2016 Subaru Outback in the garage. I had my duplicate remote for my wife’s Subaru in my pocket. As I pressed the garage door opener I must have squeezed the Subaru remote in my pocket because her hatch tailgate started to open and got tangled up in the garage door. Next Wednesday my friendly body shop will repair the damage...$768.....
My wife carries her remote in her purse..no problem.
I found the following solution for carrying the Subaru remote in my pocket:
I taped a half dollar over the hatch and panic button. I can lock and unlock the Subaru with the remote. There is no way this remote will ever accidently open the hatch again!!

#51 ·
When I came out one morning to go to work I found the hatch open. I know I locked it (one beep) before I went inside. So I have the RFI pouch now & I double check before bedtime.

#57 ·
Sometimes I really despise certain technologies. Yesterday was an example of that. I was eating dinner after picking up my new Outback 3.6 2015. My dog was waiting in the car for me. At the end of the meal a waitress came by looking for the owner of a black outback, told me that the hatch was open and had been awhile. I **** near panicked, I love me dog more than people and the thought of him walking around the streets looking for me was terrifying. Luckily he's a smart boy and he just stayed there in the car. But it made me hate that key fob. I figure it went off while in my pocket somehow and I now don't trust the thing at all. Have any of you encountered this problem? If so what's the solution. Can I somehow reduce the distance the keys work at or do I just need to line my pockets with RF blocking material?

#58 · (Edited)
This is an old post but I’m glad I read it. Our back gate opens up when we are not wanting it to. We are trying to figure out how to deal with this issue. Once it was just in my husband’s hand getting out of our new forester 2023. The hatch hit the garage door and cause a bit of damage to the paint. Now we pull it all the way inside to avoid this happening again. Another time went out to garage and it was opened. Probably was in husband’s pocket with other stuff. Third time it was in my purse with other things and I came out of a movie rummaging around in my purse for the key fob and it was open. I’m used to a code lock on the driver’s door and I kept key inside our Ford Escape.

We are working on dealing with this issue. But I never even thought about our dog being in the back (she hasn’t ridden in new Subaru yet) and the gate opening up! How scary!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Subaru Forester 2023
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass Fawn