Subaru Outback Forums banner

Eyesight Issue - Anybody else had this problem

138K views 377 replies 96 participants last post by  DanielAcosta 
#1 ·
First time owner of an Outback (2015 Limited 2.5I with eyesight) and had an issue with eyesight/pre-collision braking in first 100 miles. Wife was driving to work was at a red light, when it turned green she proceeded through and the car came to an abrupt stop in the middle of the intersection, there were no cars in any direction. She then went down the road about 1/4 mile and the pre-collision braking activated again going 25-30mph, no car in front or any objects. She then pulled over and turned off the pre-collision braking to keep it from happening again. There was no traffic in front of or behind her and both times she was accelerating. She is too scared to drive it now and is wanting to get a different Outback without eyesight. We took it back to the dealer and they did not find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
wow. I would be upset if that happened, and completely understand your wife's hesitancy now.

We have not had any false positives at all, so far. If I did, I would take it to the dealer and not accept it back until they found a problem. I would not accept an answer that they could not reproduce.

#3 ·
I agree. I've had ES on my '13 for 20K miles and have never experienced that problem. I have a suggestion for a temporary solution while you're trying to get it fixed. If you completely cover the cameras then they won't work at all and you don't have to keep pushing the buttons to turn it off or look at the stupid orange warning lights on the dash. I just use wide masking tape. Works great. I started doing this when going through car washes to keep the lenses clean and to protect my car in case they leave the engine running while my car is being washed ( they did that one time and it was almost a disaster). I suggest this only as a temporary measure to make your wife more comfortable until SOA gets their act together.

Good luck

#4 ·
No false positives in 12k miles.

I've always been able to override the system with the gas petal.
Smoke, steam, and fog can affect the system but the new OB system has radar which should negate that. I wonder if there was some radar interference?
:|

#7 ·
Did the dealer pull the Eyesight data or just check for error code/malfunction? Whenever the Pre-Collision Braking System is operated Eyesight records and stores multiple data points, including the stereo camera image data. If your dealer did not pull this data, contact SOA or a regional Subaru manager and have that data analyzed. One of the main reason for recording such data is to determine if the system was operating properly when the system engages. It should answer many questions that Subaru will want to answer as well. Please let us know what the data shows. On a personal note, I would also like to know how long such data is saved in the system if you can find that out as well. Good luck.

From the manual, pg. 6

• EyeSight records and stores the following data when the Pre-Collision
Braking System is operated. It does not record conversations or other
audio data.
- Stereo camera image data
- Distance from the vehicle in front
- Vehicle speed
- Steering wheel turning angle
- Lateral movement with regard to the direction of travel
- Accelerator pedal operation status
- Brake pedal operation status
- Select lever position
- Odometer reading
- Data related to ABS, Vehicle Dynamics Control and Traction Control
Function

#9 ·
Here is my situation. Any feedback will be appreciated..

I bought my OB Limited, Nav and Eyesight yesterday (1/1/15). Took the car to home (ran about 55 miles in total). Next day morning, start the Engine and ALL Orange Warning lights were ON!

Check Engine Light, Eyesight, Pre-collision, Lane Sway, XMode....the **** Dashboard was full of lights. lol.

Called the dealer today (1/2/15) and they told me to bring the car back to them. The service guys took about 5 minutes of checking and said that "A sensor" problem and said it would be fine now.

What could that be? I am a new Subie user (and new to Subie dealership as well).

Should I call SOA and report this incident? Maybe something wrong with the quality control? Any suggestions would help!

Thank you.

>> Of course all lights were ON when I drove the OB Back to Subaru Dealer. They told me to keep the speed under 50mph and be careful when driving.

#360 ·
The dealership has to prep the vehicles before they are ready for the customer. This is primarily setting up the infotainment system, Eyesight, alarms, and IP warning lights. When they're inventory arrives off the truck, none of this is functional. Think of it as bringing the car's CPU to life. It sounds like whoever did the prep got a little ahead of themselves.

#11 ·
I don't have mine yet, was supposed to arrive on the 30th but no joy yet. However I had a thought, could a fogged w/s possibly fool the camera? Probably not but thought I'd toss it out there.

#12 ·
... could a fogged w/s possibly fool the camera?
If the windshield is fogged to the point that you can't see well through it, then EyeSight can't see well through it either. In such cases, EyeSight will temporarily disable itself until the windshield clears.

Along the same lines, EyeSight will temporarily disable itself in foggy conditions when visibility gets down to about 1/8 mile. BTDT. This has also happened to me driving on the highway in heavy rain at night. It's not a deficiency of EyeSight, IMO, just a reasonable limitation.

#13 ·
Read the manual last night and it was enlightening to say the least.

To the OP, are they any items on the dashboard or the outside of the car like a bug guard? The manual says to not do that because it could foul the ES system. There are other things too that could foul/fool the ES system.

As suggested take the car back to the dealer and have them do a dump of the computer system for ES and have them let you see the raw data and explain it to you.

Take care,

#14 ·
I know I've had a few instances where ES has done some odd things. My pre-collion braking seems to be the most sensitive. Usually a car will be making a right turn and slow down. I see I have plenty of room to get around the car. ES seems to think i'm going to crash. It applies HEAVY braking for no reason and almost gets me rear ended. Horns blowing, people swerving, the whole 9-yards. I've had to change my driving style quite a bit for it.

#15 ·
Since having my OB inspected by the dealer for all those Dashboard Notifications, everything is working fine so far.

However, here are my observations and experience now:

1. It takes about 3-4 seconds for the Collision System light and Lane Sway light to go off the dashboard after the engine start. Is it normal? Is it happening with you (with ES feature)?

2. My experience with ES is sort of adventurous from the beginning. ES Manual was the first one among those OB Manuals that I read first. A couple of times I have setup Cruising on local and city roads at 40mph with the Lead Vehicle Following Distance set on Medium. It captures the Lead Vehicle just fine and stops when it stops but it freaks me out to death when a lead vehicle is already stopped (at a RED STOP Light) and my OB keeps running on 40mph and does not even go a mile down even if the Following Distance is set to the Longest! I see that the lead vehicle is STOPPED about 400 yards away from me but the OB would not slow down at all. So usually, I become my own ES and apply the brakes manually.

3. My observation only, but I have seen that sometimes ES reacts on the RED STOP LIGHTS. I set the Cruising at 40mph with the highest (farthest) Lead Vehicle distance. There is no Lead vehicle in front, a RED LIGHT signal is approaching fast at an intersection, ES would start slowing down the OB gradually (set cruise is at 40mph but actual speed is now about 37mph) speed goes down a bit more but still too fast....without taking further risks I apply the brakes manually.

I know that from version 3, ES can detect the BRAKE (red) lights of the leading vehicles but does it react on RED STOP Signal lights too?

4. It has sometimes freaked me out on similar cruise setup like above but ES would not react immediately if the Lead vehicle's Brake lights don't work (assuming its broken/malfunction or the lead vehicle is using engine brakes etc. when slowing down) The ES response is slower and I take over from there....

Please note that in all of the above situations, Roads are clear, no rain, fog etc. No signs of touching the ES Lenses (the car is just 3 days old). The windshield is clean and clear from both the out/inside.

I guess its going to take a while to trust on ES completely.

#16 ·
1. It takes about 3-4 seconds for the Collision System light and Lane Sway light to go off the dashboard after the engine start. Is it normal? Is it happening with you (with ES feature)?
Yes, my OB has always done this. I attribute it to a system check. It shows you the lights work too.

2. My experience with ES is sort of adventurous from the beginning. ES Manual was first one among those OB Manuals that I read. A couple of times I have setup Cruising on local and city roads at 40mph with the Lead Vehicle Following Distance set on Medium. It captures the Lead Vehicle just fine and stops when it stops but it freaks me out to death when a lead vehicle is already stopped (at a RED STOP Light) and my OB keeps running on 40mph and does not even go a mile down even if the Following Distance is set to the Longest! I see that the lead vehicle is STOPPED about 400 yards away from me but the OB would not slow down at all. So usually, I become my own ES and apply the brakes manually.
I'm assuming it will SLAM on the brakes at the last second, and I don't trust the universe enough to let this happen. I always drive normally.

3. My observation only, but I have seen that sometimes ES reacts on the RED STOP LIGHTS. I set the Cruising at 40mph with the highest (farthest) Lead Vehicle distance. There is no Lead vehicle in front, a RED LIGHT signal is approaching fast at an intersection, ES would start slowing down the OB gradually (set cruise is at 40mph but actual speed is now about 37mph) speed goes down a bit more but still too fast....without taking further risks I apply the brakes manually.

I know that from version 3, ES can detect the BRAKE (red) lights of the leading vehicles but does it react on RED STOP Signal lights too?
I have never had it try to stop at a red light. even if that was a feature I still wouldn't trust it. All you need is one failure and suddenly you are getting broadsided after running a red light. After all, red lights are in different locations at every intersection.

4. It has sometimes freaked me out on similar cruise setup like above but ES would not react immediately if the Lead vehicle's Brake lights don't work (assuming its broken/malfunction or the lead vehicle is using engine brakes etc. when slowing down) The ES response is slower and I take over from there....
The response does seem slower, but It will still (in my experience) take over, however it just applied too much sudden braking for me to be comfortable with.

I basically treat ES like it isn't there. It is a wonderful thing, and I would purchase it again if I had the choice, but I never depend on it. It has saved me a few times in various different situations. I just treat it as a "whoops I messed up and the car saved me" thing.

#19 ·
Stop and Go feature of BMW...

Yes, my OB has always done this. I attribute it to a system check. It shows you the lights work too.

I'm assuming it will SLAM on the brakes at the last second, and I don't trust the universe enough to let this happen. I always drive normally.

I basically treat ES like it isn't there. It is a wonderful thing, and I would purchase it again if I had the choice, but I never depend on it. It has saved me a few times in various different situations. I just treat it as a "whoops I messed up and the car saved me" thing.
Perfect! Thanks for the check.

That would be horrible experience (if the Braking occurs in the last second), not only for me myself but for any other passengers I would be riding with.

- Another situation that I experienced today....Cruising at 40mph with ES short range lead vehicle follow setup. The STOP Light ahead is green (left turn Green Arrow). I have to take a left. My OB is right behind and following the lead vehicle (which is also making a left turn). As soon as the lead vehicle furnishes its left turn (and ES looses the sight of the it), my OB starts a sudden acceleration on the turn because it doesn't find the lead vehicle and hence creates a go ahead sign to ES to get the set cruise speed (40mph). I freak out and hit cancel or step on the Brake pedal and maneuver the situation....

Have a look at this BMW ACC Stop and Go feature video. Have a look how this BMW reacting to the curve situation at 3:35 min.

http://youtu.be/3OtHCKww_4M

Its pretty smooth. No sudden acceleration, no hitting brake by the driver. I guess this BMer is paying attention on the TURN Signal that driver has issued to it. It is assuming that the car is making a left turn and not resuming the set cruise speed limit (i guess 70km) as set by the driver.

I thought ES is meant to perform like these BMers Stop and Go but it appears that it is specifically meant for a FREEWAY STRAIGHT cruise rides only, isn't it??

#20 · (Edited)
I drive the same as CXII (post #14) and have had multiple warnings but has never gotten to the point of Eyesight applying brakes.

In a different situation last month I got a false Eyesight warning and braking. Driving on a blacktop side road at 25mph we came upon an area where dirt had washed across the entire road leaving a big area discolored brown. As my car approached the discolored area the warning and braking came on at the same time. Eyesight applied very hard braking and we slowed to about 5mph and then the warning and brakes released, Eyesight probably realized it was a false alarm. If we hadn't been wearing our seatbelts our heads would've slammed into the steering wheel and dashboard. Luckily no one was behind us.

EDIT*** neglected to mention that i was not using cruise control at the time.

#21 ·
Just a Reminder

Just a reminder: EyeSight is a driver assist system; it is not intended to drive the vehicle for you. Just because adaptive cruise control will track the vehicle ahead down to a dead stop doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do so regularly; same goes for letting ACC manage the throttle and brakes through a left turn at an intersection or through an expressway off ramp. An alert driver can see things that EyeSight can't. The human mind has judgment and flexibility in unusual circumstances that EyeSight does not and indeed cannot.

Based on personal experience in my 2015 Legacy I have become an enthusiastic fan of EyeSight, but I understand and respect its limitations. Driving the car is still my responsibility.

#27 ·
Just because adaptive cruise control will track the vehicle ahead down to a dead stop doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do so regularly;
Agree that driving the car is ultimately the user's responsibility.

Seriously, what do you mean by this statement? Are you supposed to buy the feature of ES/ACC and just use it for 10 minutes at a time? 5 minutes? Under 72 degree weather with no rain? When only large trucks are in front of you? When should user make use of the system?

I regularly use this on my daily commute. I am always paying attention to the absolute best of my ability and feel confident in the system working as designed. If it didn't work, then it should not be used; period. I feel your statement has to do with a lack of confidence in the system as designed rather than proper use of the feature.

#23 ·
I thought ES is meant to perform like these BMers Stop and Go but it appears that it is specifically meant for a FREEWAY STRAIGHT cruise rides only, isn't it??
If you look at the ES manual, you'll see a page where is says if a car that in front of you changes lanes, ES will speed he car back up to the set speed. Take this same situation and pretend you are both in a turning lane. How does the car know you are turning? It has been told to get to 40MPH, and it's going to do just that.

Another thing I want to mention, is Pre-Collision braking has stepped in when cruise is OFF. It definitely waits longer to intervene than if cruise were on, however, it means braking is just that much harder.

#24 ·
How does the car know you are turning?.
Exactly. That is my point too in the video. I think there are several factors Mercedes and BMW have put on this tech. Some of them:
1. Turn Signal
2. Steering usage (you start turning it)
3. Radars/Sensors
4. Map Data (GPS) telling the cruise control what type of road the vehicle is at (HWY/City)
The Mercedes and BMW Stop and Go even STEER your vehicle! See this video:
http://youtu.be/zXB82PfNucg

#25 ·
Eyesight Turning off on its own while driving

Have others experienced a shut down of the Eyesight system while driving? We have had 5 such occurrences in the three weeks of ownership. Notifications come up on dash that system is off. Making arrangements to bring into the dealer for a review of the issue (and was glad to hear that there is an on board log of problems, since it would be unlikely that the car would perform the malfunction while with the dealer).

#26 ·
Have others experienced a shut down of the Eyesight system while driving? We have had 5 such occurrences in the three weeks of ownership. Notifications come up on dash that system is off. Making arrangements to bring into the dealer for a review of the issue (and was glad to hear that there is an on board log of problems, since it would be unlikely that the car would perform the malfunction while with the dealer).
Mine shut off 3 times, that I can remember. Once when the sun was so bright I almost had to pull over because I could barely see. Once when it was raining so hard I could not see the car in front of me on the freeway. Once when I had Ice up on the windshield where the cameras are. In all cases, eyesight turned back on a minute or so after visibility was restored.

#32 ·
"Keep in mind that on the Outback, ACC is only part of Eyesight. The anti-collision braking works even if ACC is turned off."

Right! That's an advantage over my current ACC. EyeSight is wonderful, because it improves safety and it reduces driving stress. I think most people who experience ACC will never buy a car without it. EyeSight seems to be about the best ACC system there is.

#34 ·
Curious question from the ill informed. Is there any way to disable eyesight? I noticed one person mentioned covering the cameras with tape. I'm looking at purchasing an OB with eyesight only cuz the model I'm looking for is hard to find around here and the local one I found has it. I'm not a big fan of the car thinking for me.

#36 ·
Good to know. Are there lights that'll be lit on the cluster that I'll have to look at? Wouldn't be the end of the world if so. I haven't had a chance to test drive or yet but am just getting all the info I can so I know what I'm looking for and getting into. Is there a fuse I could pull so I wouldn't have to remember to shut it off and would it interfere with any of the other electronics these cars seem to have an abundance of these days?

#37 ·
Eyesight is on by default. If you choose not to turn on ACC your car will drive like any other except for pre collision braking and lane departure warnings. If you're as good of a driver as you say, you'll never know those are there either.

#39 ·
I'm no Ken Block but I've done absolutely fantastic over the years workout a babysitter system. I'm not downplaying the system. I'm just doing research and read some reviews about unwarranted braking by the system with false warnings and people nearly if not getting rear ended. Not looking forward to having a damaged vehicle from faulty equipment. I see the perks of it. But my deal is I've found one or two I've liked but they were quite a trek to get to and unfortunately got sold, luckily I had been watching so I didn't make a disappointing trip. This one worth the SAP showed up at a local dealer and has the ES but I'm not sure about it yet. Gathering info and I appreciate the input given from you guys.

#40 ·
No issue thru 600 miles..works like champ. I don't use it except in highway. I don't use it in say city or around town traffic. Say going to the mall to shop there is no point.

I use it when constant surroundings are present which is why hwy is best. Buker to bumper on sides streets? Turn it off..don't think it was the eyesight..

#48 ·
I don't use it except in highway. I don't use it in say city or around town traffic.
I use it for most driving other than pure city stop and go. I use the longest distance of 4 bars as it allows the car to use CVT engine braking vs. the brakes to control the speed which boosts MPG. I reduce the cruise speed to whatever traffic is from 25 to 70 mph so the car is not trying to get up to 60 mph when traffic is crawling at 35 mph.

I think the EyeSight ACC gets better MPG than I do manually. The two reasons I purchased the Subaru, the top safety rating the high MPG rating.

#42 ·
Just rolled 1000 miles. Eyesight/adaptive cruise control is great.
I use it in a variety of situations, not just high speed freeway driving. I'd probably use it even more except it does more braking that I typically do driving myself. I.E. it still isn't as smart as a human driver. For any general flow traffic though it works sell. Start/stop it works as well. Some people I know drive more like how the eyesight operates at lower speeds.

I know what Subaru says but that's a bunch of hogwash. The system either works or it doesn't. How is it any safer to trust/use it it higher speeds. Think about it. If something goes wrong you really better be paying attention then. At lower speeds you don't have to react as fast if something goes amiss. In stop and go traffic it is almost boring.

#43 ·
Thanks again for the input. I've read more positive reviews than negative so it's reassuring. I just don't want to get too comfortable with it and then something happens, and also have all the lights on cuz I don't want to use it from time to time. I gotta do negotiating with the dealer yet anyway cuz bluebooks are telling me they're easily $2000 above fair asking price. Otherwise next closest 3.6 I am looking at is 10hrs away. Good road trip I guess.