Subaru Outback Forums banner

Vibration at 30mph - 65mph

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ammcinnis 
#1 ·
2015 Outback Limited 2.5.
Does anyone notice a vibration through the steering wheel and also felt through the seat? With all windows/sunroof closed, it also has a buffeting sound that you typically get when only one window is open (in most cars). The sound and the vibration are noticed at the same time. This is noticeable from around 30mph - 65mph. I scheduled a service appointment but curious if anyone else has had this same issue and received any info or fix?

#8 ·
Update:

Update:
The service department was able to duplicate the issue without question. They were at a loss as to what the cause was.

They contacted Subaru "Engineering" (as stated by the dealerships Service Consultant). At Subaru's direction they first rotated the Torque Converter 90 degrees then road tested the car. This did not solve the issue.

Second they were told to replace the drive-line. The dealership borrowed a drive-line from another 2015 Outback on the lot and this DID solve the problem (so they say). They said the original drive-line was out of balance and the car did not vibrate or have the buffeting sounds with the drive-line borrowed from the other car. I pick up the car in a couple of days after they receive and replace the drive-line. I asked why they don't just leave the borrowed drive-line in the car and let me have it and their selfish reply was "the owner doesn't allow us to do that - we tried". Now I'm waiting for the replacement from Subaru before I can pick the car up....

I'll post any further updates if necessary.

#12 ·
... "the owner doesn't allow us to do that ...."
It may also be against the law to transfer parts from a car on the lot and then sell it as new. I know I wouldn't want to buy one that way.

The good news is that your dealer and Subaru have accepted your vibration as a legitimate problem and are working to fix it.

#9 ·
Front axles or rear drive shaft between transmission and diff? Not entirely clear from you post.

#11 ·
Based on the phone call from the Service Dapartment, they said "drive-line" so I'm assuming the rear "drive-shaft" as you call it. I think a lot of people use the words interchangeably. I'm not an automobile mechanic so I'm not sure of the technical names for the actual parts. If I have time after I pick up the car and see the full service report I'll post the defined word they use. Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.