Subaru Outback Forums banner

Features you've discovered on your 2015+ Outback, and features you wished it had.

45K views 149 replies 92 participants last post by  farrellcollie 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm a proud owner of a 2015 Outback 3.6R with Eyesight. The vehicle is amazing and is one of the best Subaru has made so far. It has a long list of features but at the same time missing some that I thought would be nice.

To start, here is my list of features I've discovered so far on the car, other than the obvious ones:

Seat memory by the door handle - the car can memorize two different seating positions and recall them by the push of a button.

Fog light lights up on the side that you are turning into.

The approach lighting on side mirrors is pretty nifty.

PIN access in the rear hatch

Xmode works really, really well.

Rear seats fold down is literally one latch pull and the seat folds "falls" down.

Bluetooth/phone sync is amazingly fast for a Subaru.

Wishlist:

The car should just detect the key fob used to unlock the driver side and automatically move the seat to the memorized position.

Steering controls should be able to fully control the nav. system as it already has up/down/left/right/enter and back.

Nav. map locks you out from entering destination/address while driving but lets you pick a location on the map. Just leave it unlocked already!

Nav. map finger gestures are a bit laggy.

Audio system needs a 5 or 7-band equalizer instead of just bass/mid/treble.

Panoramic moonroof!

Ability to display music source/track title/artist on the in-dash display info area instead of mpg/direction/etc.

See less See more
G
#5 ·
I have the premium....

Having the doors lock above 10 mph
Having an equalizer for the radio
Having the horn chirp when locking the doors
More customization for the dash lights and infotainment options

Overall, I am very satisfied with my Outback

#9 ·
Got my 3.6R Limited on Tuesday. Favorite feature by far is Eyesight and the adaptive cruise control. It took nerves of steel (and a foot hovering over the break pedal) to trust it the first time in stop and go traffic, but it is one of the most amazing technological leaps I have experienced since I used my first mobile phone. I literally did not touch the pedals from the time I entered the highway, through 25 miles of stop/go traffic, until I took the exit ramp. Only time I had to do anything but steer is anytime I came to a complete stop. Then it took only a flick of my thumb on the Resume to get moving again.

Awesome. Totally Awesome.

#12 ·
A thing (among many) I like: It *doesn't* auto lock the doors!!!! This happens on my Hyundai and it drives me nuts. Every day my wife drops me off at work when carpooling, I forget to hit unlock before I try to grab my briefcase from the back seat (hey, I'm not a morning person). Problem solved since we drive the Subaru to work now.

Things I wish it had: adjustable interval duration on the intermittent wipers. The single available speed is not enough time between wipes.

#25 ·
A thing (among many) I like: It *doesn't* auto lock the doors!!!! This happens on my Hyundai and it drives me nuts. Every day my wife drops me off at work when carpooling, I forget to hit unlock before I try to grab my briefcase from the back seat (hey, I'm not a morning person). Problem solved since we drive the Subaru to work now.

Things I wish it had: adjustable interval duration on the intermittent wipers. The single available speed is not enough time between wipes.
See 3-51 in your Owner's Manual.

#14 ·
OK, I'll play along. I've had my OB with ES for one week exactly, have put 600 or so miles on it. It's an awesome car, in many ways better than my wife's MDX (also 4 years newer).

In particular, I:

• Love the adaptive cruise. It's the primary reason I got ES.
  • Love the "grab handle to unlock" feature with the key fob.

Now for the wishlist:

• A heated steering wheel would be awesome.
  • Ventilated seats (see aforementioned MDX) would be nice in 6 months.
  • As others have mentioned, more adjustments on the passenger seat.
  • I would really, really, really like to have a way to show a simple audio status at the top of the map screen. Split screen gives too much space to audio. I really want something like what it does when you cycle through using the "source" button on the steering wheel. Maybe this can be a software update....
  • I haven't searched the manual, but it seems like you cannot manually close the rear gate if you have the power gate option. I'd prefer the option of grabbing and pulling myself sometimes, it's going to be faster.....

#18 ·
  • Radio scan. My Legacy didn't have a scanner on the radio which blew my mind.

Wishlist
  • Option to manually open/close the power lift-gate. Wife's Highlander does it, not sure why the Outback couldn't do the same.
  • Manual hand brake.
  • Individual TPMS.
  • Digital oil temp gauge (actual gauge with reading in degrees).

#19 ·
Just traded my 2011 in on the 2015. Love it! EXCEPT (and I'm hoping someone will chime in and tell me these features already exist...just can't find them):

1) Ability to mute the GPS audio. The lowest setting is '1' and I can still hear it. There have been times I can't hear it, but the music I'm listening to still gets muted/reduced. Sometimes I would just like to use the GPS and it's data visually and not listen to it.

2) The intermittent wiper interval adjustment doesn't take effect until the next cycle. Usually if you ask for a change it's because you want or need it NOW, not wait 8 seconds.

3) Ability to turn the compass in the mirror off and leave it off (not come back on at the next engine start) . It makes me think there is an emergency/enforcement vehicle behind me.

4) Even my passenger can't input a destination into the GPS while the car is moving!!!

Anyone have any workarounds or ?

#21 ·
4) Even my passenger can't input a destination into the GPS while the car is moving!!!

Anyone have any workarounds or ?
Doesn't the '15 have voice control of NAV that allows you to set destinations? Is it only certain models, or is it just that it doesn't work that well?

Sadly, I think most cars have this restriction. Everyone's worried about getting sued in this country.

#20 ·
Good stuff.
1. You can change the intermittent wipe interval immediately if you click the wiper off and on after adjusting the setting
2 you can use the nav in motion if you use the map zooming function, rather than trying to type an address. You might have to zoom in quite a bit, but if you can get to street detail, and click your intended destination spot as a marker, your Nav will get you 99 percent of the way there.

#28 ·
workaround for seat..
Program setting 1 with the seat moved back.
Program setting 2 with your personal adjustment.
When you unlock your car to get in, the seat will automatically move to setting 1. Then once you are seated, push setting 2.

I wish....
1) the leather seats and steering wheel were a bit grippier. My preference would be for them to be covered in the same material as the dash.
2) the power steering contributed a bit more powerfully. Maybe some folks think a heftier steering wheel feels more sporty?
3) the start button was on the left side of the steering wheel so the engine could be re-started more easily while standing outside the car.
4) the rear window wiper had more intermittent settings.
5) the windows were slightly larger (lower beltline).
6) the sides and back of the vehicle were slightly more straight up and down instead of angling in (yes I want it more boxy). It's hard for short people to reach up and in to do stuff with the roof rails.
7) the infotainment buttons were push (pressure) style instead of electrostatic (or whatever this too-sensitive type is called). I wonder if these will work with normal gloves, will find out soon.
8) I like that the rear seats angle back, but I wish the pivot point was lower.

#27 ·
First post....After a week and a half with our 2015 Limited 2.5, so far so good...a few things I would wish for:

1 - Panoramic moonroof
2 - Diesel engine (for fuel economy)
3 - a somewhat less touch-sensitive touch-screen display (especially since the preset radio station buttons are relatively small and on top of one another).
4 - that the rear power hatch could be manually operated.
5 - On a sidenote, it'd be nice if the presets listed the name of the sirius station, and not the number...I memorized that I listen to, for example, Lithium, not "41" or whatever it is.

That said, still figuring out how all the bells and whistles work, and I really do like the car...I sat in a colleague's 2014 Outback today, and I was surprised at how much nicer the 2015 is over last year's model.

#29 ·
I’ve only had my 2.5 limited for 3 weeks - and let me say I love it - we tested a lot of cars and we’re very, uh, particular, and the outback came out on top. But here are a few things that I wish it had or that irk me a bit…

• sunroof should be larger, I just traded in my forester and miss the big beautiful piece of glass already. Makes no sense to me why it’s available in the Forester and not the more premium Outback. Really?
• the power lift gate is handy but also really annoying, should be able to have manual control too. I already scratched the top when it hit my kayak and roof box…
• better tie down points for canoe, the ones in the front are so far back you have to get on your knees (in the mud/puddles) to reach them and no decent tie down points in the back (not until I get a hitch installed in the spring)
• yes you can open the doors and stand on them to reach the roof rack better but they are really small/angled/slippery
• the roof rack is clever/convenient but pretty darn ugly and flimsy. Glad they increased the spacing but a small improvement. I had 3 kayaks on the roof and could see the rack bowing a bit as I loaded each one on. I’ll need to have 2 canoes up there come the spring and will have to rig up something with landing pad adaptors and a real rack or some homemade option - not happy that I can’t easily put my existing rack on the car (too close together and not stable feeling to just add them to the stored cross bars). These last three points really disappointing for something so strongly marketed as an adventure mobile!
• and my wife hates that there is no place to put a box of kleenex and the doors pockets hardly hold any garbage and the water bottle door holder only holds smallish bottles, not larger ones that fit in our Forester
• centre console could be so much better… the one in the new Toyota Highlander is so much better. Add removable/washable cup holders and it would be golden! Ours always get sticky and impossible to clean
• the turn signals are really loud! what’s up with that!
• no decent spot to put a snow brush… I cram it on the door side of the drivers seat and knock it off overtime I get in...
• the space around the gas peddle is a bit cramped/angled. Especially when you put in winter floor mats my foot is always on an angle and it gets uncomfortable after a while
• flipping through radio stations is clumsy… waiting to list them before flipping is annoying. The voice activated stuff sounds really cool but its slow and tedious to use, doubt I’ll ever use it.
• clock and temperature gauge are so small
• why is the rear view mirror always have that green light on? you turn it off and it’s back on next time you start the car… ugh
• why are the airbag symbols up in the roof? annoying to see that orange light lit in your peripherals all the time. Same with the hazard light - why place it in such a visually unpleasant place?
• heated steering wheel sure would have been nice touch
• more storage options… look at the dodge journey (not that I would ever buy one but the smart in floor storage etc is pretty awesome)
• more cargo space in the back… and storage where the spare wheel is would be great, even in the forester I could pack a lot of bungees, jumper cables, axe etc and now I barely cram a few things in there
• actually, what would be ideal for me is if the back was a bit larger and boxier like the volvo xc70 or ford flex - the outback has a bulky spoiler thing coming out anyways so why not just extend the top of the cargo space instead which would give more storage room and a larger rear window for visibility
• and speaking of that… the designer in me is bothered that the visual lines of the side rear window outlines don’t match the contours of the car… they curve up at the back so they don’t line up with the back window and the spacing is not even all around which doesn’t look as clean as it should and makes for smaller windows. Might have something to do with safety pillars or something but sure looks odd
• the chrome trim around the windows - why? visually distracting and they reflect in the side view mirrors which is annoying
• the door panels should go all the way down, right now they stop a few inches short so if your car is dirty (which it should be!) your pant legs get dirty every time you step out. Other cars like Mazda go all the way down so you stay clean
• windows are too small… what is the trend with small windows in cars! Give me more view and less blind spots
• I would love it if the rear gate glass could open independently of the entire gate. So handy to have wood sticking out when you come back from the hardware store, or quick access to something in a loaded car
• and the colours… love lighter coloured cars since they don’t look as dirty with salt and dirt but the sliver has this blue tinge in certain lights that I really don’t like, and the tungsten only comes with the light interior -really? Too fancy for me and I’m sure it looks nice in the showroom but a light interior after kids and adventure outing will look a mess in no time. I went with a the twilight blue which is really sharp, but will always look dirty
• I would have loved diesel option too!

This may look like a long list, and it is, but my list of things I dislike in other cars would be way longer!

#30 ·
You kick arrse my friend and say what I think.

fantastic effort, I hope the designers are writing this down.

"likes" given

Reactions: dsmacdo
#31 ·
Annoying changes:
1- drivers side molding is a tad too high, or misses ledge for easy arm rest
2- no ash tray, it was a wonderful coin collector
3- no distance scale indicators on backup camera
4- turn signal turns off one front headlight

Still annoying:
1- wipers do not allow a good variety of speeds for light and spotty drizzle
2- radio quality seems very weak, even with HK speakers

Nice improvements:
1- firm seat cushioning
2- blind spot warning
3- higher entry to vehicle
4- wider compartment
5- bluetooth for phone
6- quieter cabin noise levels
7- great looking wheels
etc

Missing:
1- height adjustment for front passenger seat
2- ability to unsnap seat belts for rear seat flat cargo loads

#32 ·
First post here, thank you for a great forum.

One tiny feature I discovered - nudging the turn signal slightly, without fully moving it, makes it blink three or four times, just enough for a lane change

Favorite feature - adaptive cruise control, by far

Worst annoyances until now
- the non-dimming frame around the side mirrors - it creates a weird light projection onto the window at night, it glares and generally defeats the purpose of self dimming, wtf??

- the removable stuff that doesn't have a designated stowage space: coin tray and the rubber cup holder thing

- powered rear gate design (no manual override, slow, etc.)

- the EXTREME delay in voice control activation (mine takes up to 5 minutes after engine on!)

Wish it had:
- radar for parking assist (it has two sensors for SRVD, why not put a couple more and give proximity warnings when parking like most European cars?)

- MirrorLink... or something similar... or more flexibility / compatibility in Starlink; this one is unforgivable - they waste a rather elegant infotainment system strictly because of shady corporate agreements

- mute navigation (maybe it has this, but couldn't find it)

- the manual keeps saying "use your eyes, don't rely on the electronics"... totally agree; SRVD is nifty, but I want to see; so then why does the car even have blindspots? what's the excuse for not building a differently shaped mirror with a wide angle segment?

- removable cup holders - had this in my 2008 Nissan Rogue (yeah, keyless entry is not a groundbreaking 2015 novelty)

- ability to lock doors with engine running - had this in my 2008 Nissan Rogue

- additional storage under the cargo space floor - I'd like to be able to stow my emergency kit, a snow brush, etc.

- auto-locking doors (speed linked)
- had this in my 2008 Nissan Rogue

- better looking DRLs, namely the LED contour on with DRL and/or white DRL instead of yellowish

- under car LED "welcome" lighting -
had this in my 2014 Outback

#33 ·

Worst annoyances until now

what's the excuse for not building a differently shaped mirror with a wide angle segment?
Yep, forgot that one. Not only is the mirror too narrow, it also won't move outwards far enough so you can set a preference for in the middle of the blind spot.

The wide angle segment may be because of the hassles getting approval from all states. Some mirror laws have really blocked sensible mirror improvements.

And along the mirror idea. Why can't driver setting 1 or 2 also take the mirror settings? It's nice to have seat adjust when change drivers, but annoying that still have to readjust the mirrors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.