Subaru Outback Forums banner

Will Subaru Drop the 6H Boxer soon?

7K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  runnerhiker 
#1 ·
#9 ·
They said the same thing about 8-cylinder cars 20 years ago.

And to be fair, they still do make those for a few applications.

Let's not forget that a modern 4-cylinder engine has more power than many classic V8s from days past. A few are near 100hp per liter of displacement from the factory- a feat that used to require quite a lot of hot-rodding.

I personally don't think Subaru is going to drop the 6 that quickly. Low fuel prices are likely to persist for at least a year or two, which gives them time to launch their next 7-passenger car and also time to develop a direct injection system with better reliability than the current generation.

They know that buyers of the most profitable version of the outback demand a certain amount of power. I think they also know most of those people don't really care how that power is developed.

Once that new car is started and that new engine management system is solid? Then they'll be safe to drop the 6-cyl option.

Y'all have time.

#12 ·
I have seen this newer smaller H6 discussed also.

and still waiting to hear / read more about the Toyota partnership yielding a Tribeca based on a Highlander with Subaru Engine / symmetrical AWD.

So when actually driven in tough snow / mud the butched up Camry wagon is not such a

#11 ·
After 14 years driving turbo cars that require premium fuel, part of the attraction of a Subaru is 250+ HP on regular gas. Virtually every other comparable car with similar horsepower requires premium fuel. Premium used to be no big deal when the price spread was 20 cents. I now often see 50 cents or more.

#13 ·
My original Plan was new Forrester Turbo, since Crosstrek Hybrid is "not recommended" for towing (yea, I know, do it anyway. . .). Talked to Subaru Service guys, they said Turbo is pretty reliable, but you MUST stick with the regular oil changes. . . And yes, the 93 fuel cost.
Given that, I was kinda hoping for the 2.0DIT in the OB, but alas, not this year. So I stock with the tried and true H6. LOVE this engine. Most responsive I've ever had, the Engine/CVT work very well together.
Just a few miles shy of 6K miles, and still doing well. HW mileage gets into the 28-29 (actual) MPG range (the MPG meter in the car reads at lease +1 MPG more, sometimes more, depending upon the gas). One of the reasons for the H6 is towing. . . Turbo's get a bit finicky in low range when towing, since they generally have poor low end torque.
But it's probably inevitable that Subaru will switch to something else. After all, it's all about sales. . . And this year (2014) will be a banner one at that!

#16 ·
If so...I'm in. Right now my future plan it to wait until VW brings in the TDI Tiguan...which is slated for early '16...ish. By then I might be ready to give up what will then be my 12 year old TDI.

#22 ·
Diesel is still $0.80 to $1.00 MORE expensive than PREMIUM out here. There's NO advantage to a diesel. Then my SO has a Prius, and while she loves it, it's an econobox, and drives like a slug.

When it comes time to trade my Outback, no 6 = no Subaru. I spent a day with the 2.5i LTD, and would never buy one. Nice options, but my wife's Prius would eat it for lunch, and get 50+ mpg doing it.

#25 ·
No advantage except gobs of torque.

I came from an 01 Golf TDI and I still miss the torque. Even though at "only 90 HP" it should have been a slug, it certainly felt a **** of a lot faster when I could stomp on the pedal at **** near any RPM and GO. That is, until I hit the 4750 redline... :)

There's a reason all serious tow vehicles are diesels, and it's not the HP rating.

And FWIW we have a 2010 Prius and there's no way it's faster than our 2.5 Outback.

#24 ·
Lexus has models they channel both ways. There will be more coming out where it's channeled primarily to power but still with some toward economy. But Toyota/Lexus are the leaders in that technology. Porsche is catching up strong tho.

#28 ·
As always, a thread on the subject starts without even considering the vehicle from which the current 6 originates and for which the next bigger Subaru engine will be primarily meant: the Tribeca/new 7 pax.

The fate of the larger OB engine is a footnote to the decision that Subaru has made/is making/will at some point have to make, LOL, on the 7 pax. If they decide that the US consumer is ready for a turbo 4 in a larger than a Tribeca family hauler, the 6 is a goner. The B9 was a low-risk, no payoff car. The new 7 pax will take some risks, probably a much larger sunk cost. But I doubt that a turbo 4 is one of the risks Subaru will take on a vehicle that must be noticeably larger than the OB to succeed.

Reactions: DougNuts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.