Subaru Outback Forums banner

Lowering ride height

96K views 134 replies 60 participants last post by  KSKarl 
#1 ·
Hi all, love everything about my new 2015 outback 3.6R except the ride height. I find it too high. Does anyone know how to lower the overall vehicle by about 2 inches ? are there any kits available, can I replace existing with legacy struts, are there body spacer easily removed ???
Thanks in advance !

#6 ·
Well, there is no "Legacy Wagon" right. So the post is NOT "off the map". Many of the OB's suspected handling, and wandering issues can probably be tied to the height.

The OP is looking for a Legacy Height Wagon. Perfectly legit. I can offer no after market help. But PM me, we can start a conversation. Anything can be done. And I understand the want to do so. I have lowered my OB..not that much...but a little:wink2:.

And not done "conventionally".

But, Anything can be done...beating someone up for the "why"...that's just plain silly. People come here for help...not bashing. IMPHO...But I certainly have a target on me now...if you'all need to let sh*t fly. tdck has broad shoulders. But let the OP be.

Attachments

#8 ·
Right...my best guess would be...Legacy Struts and or springs...without "birddogging" it myself. My "guess" would be...Leggy struts paired up with OB springs will do an 1", Leggy springs added would do another 1". My guess is you would need some camber / control arm "bits"...not currently available...but most like fit...from Gen4...for a perfect alignment...

or change out Leggy chassis / subframe parts that might be different. Like, steering shaft u-joint...but...like I said...anything can be done.

#10 ·
Look at this post, you will find every bit of information you need.
Set-up should be similar to the 2015's Gen 5.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...p-sap-3-6r-purchase-experience-plus-more.html
Nice addition, but...correct me, there isn't a Gen5 Leggy GT anymore, is there? But, a regular Legacy package should get the OP something. It doesn't look like the Gen4 had to have any additional bit to make it work.

So it should be straight forward, just maybe expensive, since Gen5 parts will be had to find salvage wise...this early into the model launch. Struts and springs would have to be dealer sourced, at worst.

#11 ·
I'm with you guys. I'm a long time Subaru owner and enthusiast. I have a 2006 track prepped STI. WRX wagon before that, and a 2.5 RS before that.

Current DD is a 2011 A4. We have a 1 year old son and want some with more legroom and cargo space. We do not want an SUV. The Outback has almost 3" more legroom so sitting in the front seat with the baby seat behind it is actually comfortable. Plus I'm fairly tall so sitting behind me is a bit tight. Add in all the extra cargo space and the new "more upscale" interior and the Outback looks great. We looked at the Allroad but legroom is the same as the A4 so all you get is the added cargo space. We also looked at the Volvo wagons but surprisingly they don't have much more legroom than the A4.

The only thing I don't like about the Outback is the jacked up ride height. If Subaru had a Legacy wagon we would already have gotten one. A suspensIon that lowered the Outback to "normal" ride height would be ideal. I don't want to "slam" the car. I wonder if the Legacy Sedan suspension would bolt on? Are the control arms and lateral links longer on the Outback to compensate for the added height? Axles longer too? If you'd need to swap all these things it's a pretty expensive proposition.

#43 ·
If Subaru had a Legacy wagon we would already have gotten one.
A suspensIon that lowered the Outback to "normal" ride height
would be ideal.
Ditto. We'd have a second wagon (instead of the Legacy) if SOA
offered an OB on shorter stilts, or a "Legacy Wagon." Wagons
are more versatile cars, but climbing in & out of the current OB
is less-than-ideal for shorter drivers...

...if you disagree, feel free to argue the point with SWMBO,

Looby

Reactions: boxterfan67
#13 ·
It should be possible, and I imagine it's been done, but I haven't seen it done to a 5th gen. on this website.

I also agree with the OP about lowering. If I knew I wasn't ever going to take it off road, I would lower to Legacy height, or more.. There is a definite hole in Subaru's lineup, one that could be easily filled by bringing the Levorg over here.

#14 ·
Great question. I would have liked to get the Outback vs. the Legacy for the wagon aspects but the much lower MPG from the same basic vehicle was the decider.

That lower MPG is due 90% to the height.

Considering that lowering is so popular on the Subaru's, seems like one of the custom shops should be able to do it.

#18 ·
Cadillac has a CTS-V wagon as well. Magnetic ride, 560 or so hp., similar 0-60 times.

Wagons aren't dead, by any means. Subaru decided not to make them anymore.

They're missing out...WRX wagon? You betcha. That would be at the top of my list for a new Soob! Otherwise, no more new Subarus for me.

#19 ·
Hey RhinoCat! Your best option is going to be Legacy suspension. Public parts lists haven't been released, so it's hard to check fitment.

Most likely, you're going to need the entire front strut assembly off the Legacy. It SHOULD be a direct bolt on, and work flawlessly. The rear is a different story. The Legacy rear should bolt up directly as well, but the spring rate is designed for a sedan, not a wagon. So the rear will "sag". If there is a 6th gen Legacy wagon in Japan (The outback is in it's 5th generation, while the Legacy is on it's 6th) the rear spring/strut combo should work. But shipping will be expensive.

Since the new Outback has only been out for a few months, it's hard to tell until some one does it. But if you go to your dealer, and find the right person to talk to, they will have the information to be able to tell you whether or not the upper and lower hard points are the same.

Don't let anyone talk you out of it. Having the extra power of the 3.6, with the improved handling of the Legacy and some wider tires, you'll have one of the most practical and fun cars on the road.

#23 ·
So. What I've found; front should be a direct swap.Unbolt from the Legacy, bolt into the Outback, and you're good to go. The top and bottom hard points in the back are also the same. So the Legacy will fit, but the spring rate is too soft, and will most likely sag quite a bit. The halfass fix is getting a spacer. The real fix is getting JDM, EDM, etc... Legacy wagon springs and struts. Or, if you get lucky, you might be able to find a company producing 2015 Legacy coil overs. They should have no problem adjusting the spring rate and damping for the extra weight of the Outback.

Also, I think the rear upper control arms will have to be swapped out to get rear camber back into spec. Unfortunately, Subaru changed the rear lower control arms to 2015, so the aftermarket parts won't fit, and the subaru website says the lower control arm is exclusive for the 2015 Legacy/Outback platform, unlike the 2010-2014 Outback/Legacy, where the lower control arm was shared by literally EVERY model Subaru produced. BRZ, STI, Forester included.

#30 ·
+1 I too would love the capability to drop the Gen 5 down a couple of inches, especially if the spring landings were adjustible by the shock body being threaded on top. Then the car could be put on a lift to relieve pressure on the coilover, allowing the landing platform to adjust up or down.

A camber kit would be needed for the front, at least, maybe the rears as well. Tein makes a great adjustible coilover for a wide variety of applications, and they also allow for different dampening options.The latest one I saw from them allowed the dampening rate to be adjusted from inside the vehicle, at one spot.

I used to have a Honda that I would take to local SCCA club meets for timed runs through a pylon obstacle course. It had Tokico Illuminas for a shock body with Ground Control springs and bushings. I'd simply set the Illuminas at their softest ( which was pretty firm even on that setting, ) drive to the meet, then stiffen the suspension for the pylon runs.

Afterward...loosen it back up and drive it home.

#32 ·
The only problem with easily adjustable ride height, is that the suspension geometry changes every time there is a suspension movement (this is out best friend bump steer), so an alignment would be necessary every time a change in ride height was made.

But anyways, hopefully there's an option out there for the 2015 Legacy soon, I guess it's only a matter of time. Hopefully Japan delivers.

#33 ·
As long as toe was not changed, the camber kits can adjust up to 15% positive or negative camber.

The key is having a purpose built monoshock and matching coilover that was designed for a specific application. Hopefully, eventually, the aftermarket suspension suppliers will build kits that are specific to the Gen 5 OB. Then specific settings can be achieved based upon research done by the company that provides the components.

#37 ·
I tried not to open this thread, skimmed past it a couple times, but couldn't resist any longer and finally caved…

The OB is purpose built and begs the question- WHY??? But I try to be open minded and remember that everyone has their likes/dislikes.

That said, I'd start with base model Legacy and/or smaller tire sizes. Doing the math I get the following results: OB 225/65-17 = 28.5" overall diameter, Legacy 225/55-17 = 26.75. That's close to two inches, but since there are an upper and lower sidewall it would yield less than 1" in lowering your ride height.

So, going slightly less profile, 45% aspect ratio, gives a 25" overall diameter and WABAMM, this gives 1.75" lowering effect.

Just think how much better it'll handle with those lo-pro's… then you'll need a minimum 22mm sway bar with beefier end links, strut tower bars fore and aft, coffee can exhaust etc...

#40 ·
It's not about getting the Outback closer to the ground as much as it is reducing the gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel arch. It's mostly about the look IMHO.

#38 ·
as @connorlikesbikes mentioned: SUBARU : LEVORG ( ????? ) ? DRIVE JPN
Like most: I got my OB BECAUSE of the ride height, my knees just aren't what they used to be anymore :(
Early in it's life, the VW Toureg has an air adjustable suspension. They were trying to compete with Land Rover/Range Rover; Land Cruiser; and Jeep Cherokee. Was pretty amazing, but they don't seem to offer this anymore. . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.