Subaru Outback Forums banner

speaker upgrade from 2015 Forester?

31K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  sojourn558 
#1 ·
I installed Polk Audio DXi651s speakers in my 2015 OB last night and was left very underwhelmed. They were clearer and much smoother/warmer in the mid/high range, but the lack of bass and having to really turn up the volume left me unimpressed. btw- have always been a Polk fan.

I've read good reviews and it appears the 2014-2015 Forester has an identical speaker setup (6x9 front, 6.5 rear) so I'm wondering if the Subaru Kicker upgrade kit (H631SSG000) will work in the OB? It appears it'll mount without issue, but are the connectors the same/interchangeable?

The Polk's rated at 92db sensitivity while the Kicker's are 94db. At this price point they're going to have similar performance and IMO there are more important upgrades, but I would like the most bang for my 200 bucks and hope they'll offer a subwoofer upgrade in the future.

Any info regarding interchangeability is appreciated.

#4 ·
subwoofer recommendations?

Cuz I was trying to prioritize and didn't want the cost/complexity of adding a sub just yet. Purchased wheels this morning and getting remote start installed Saturday… only have so much cabbage lol.

That said, it seems a sub will probably be next on the hit list… I've never owned an under the seat sub, any recommendations?

#7 ·
I believe the Premium is only missing the 'center' dash speaker. I've seen some photo's of the speakers that come in the Premium. My god, they look like some of the cheapest crap I've ever seen. An aftermarket speaker upgrade would do wonders and not cost that much.

#9 ·
Defenatily don't bother with the Outback OEM dash speakers. They are barely worth $10 a piece. Instead get something like a pair the Polk DB351. I am planning to do this upgrade ASAP. From what I've read on this forum they fit in the same space (albiet a tight fit) and they will give much better sound! Better still they can be had on Amazon for $45 a pair shipped!

Let me know how it goes if you go this route.

#10 ·
I have a Premium and have the db351's on order (arriving tomorrow).. may not get to it until the long weekend .. but will report back.

for the middle dash.. can we add a speaker on the premium (does wiring even exist for it?)

if not, I swear I'd love to see someone do an aftermarket accessory to turn that in to a cubby/storage of some kind (with a power/USB port for GPS/radar to keep the cord from stretching up/across the Infotainment screen)

#11 ·
Ok, finally had a few hours to swap out the Polk's and install a Subaru/Kicker upgrade kit for a 2014/15 Forester.

Well, there's good and bad to this 'upgrade'. The good: there's enough bass that the mirrors are shaking and I won't need to install a subwoofer…for now anyway. Also, the increased sensitivity equalled greater volume at the same level and thus, not requiring the head unit to be driven as hard.

The bad: the rears were NOT a direct fit and required holes to be drilled. Not a big deal or deterrent, but must be mentioned. The good to this is the fact that the foam surround on the mounting side was a direct fit in the door skin hole and the speaker stayed in-place without having to hold it while using a drill punch.

My brother and I were smiling immediately followed by a fist bump. The Polk's mids/highs were exactly as anticipated, but the lacked any real low end and left me feeling underwhelmed. Keeping in mind that a sub will probably be down the road and just wanted better low end to carry me through.

That said, the Kickers be kickin! They may not be as 'rich/full' as the Polk's, but overall, for the same money and lacking the need for adapter plates & harnesses, the Subaru/Kicker upgrade kit, IMO, is the way to go.

#13 ·
Do you have any install pics? I'd like to start this project soon.

Any idea if the 2014/2015 Forester Kicker tweeters fit and are plug n play? I upgraded my mothers tweeters/speakers last year in her Forester with the kickers and they made a massive difference. It was the tweeters that IMO made the biggest difference. Given that I have the base model without tweeters I'd like to start my upgrades there. I'd check the connections/fit myself, but we now live about 2,000mi apart.

#14 ·
Kickers (H631SSG000), $186, are installed on all four doors: 6x9 front and 6.5 rear. eBay seller that I've started buying all my OEM parts from…he invoices me directly thru PayPal with reduced prices (eliminating eBay's 10% fees) along with free shipping. This far exceeds local dealer prices. PM me and I'll provide contact info…

Probably next on my audio hit list is the Kicker tweeter upgrade kit for a 14/15 Forester: p/n H631SFJ100 as these will be a plug-n-play also. Meaning no need to locate a wiring diagram to determine polarity followed by cutting, splicing, and soldering…

#20 ·
Nothing comes up when I search the part numbers you listed. However, they were the 2014/2015 Kicker Tweeter Upgrade speakers. The dealership was charging $120 for them not including install. Curiously, the dealer also said they had upgraded door speakers for the 2015 OB which cost $249. I'm not sure which ones those are though. Maybe someone finally made an easy swap kit?

EDIT: It might also be good to know - The Kicker tweeters mounting holes were not far enough apart to match the holes in the dash. Therefore, to mount them you will be drilling a hole in the dashboard area, not in the speaker mount. (Provided you don't make your own mount to solve this issue.)

#24 ·
I haven't seen adapters at Crutchfield and read about splicing so I assumed that was the only option.

#25 ·
I've seen people listing two Metra adapters, 71-035LC and 72-8104. Some hAve also reused the factory clip/harness off the dash speakers. I'm thinking the Polk DB system all the way around may be the way (for me) to go. Working with dealership to see about getting the Kicker system ordered from factory and included in purchase price.

#26 ·
I bought the DB351 dash speakers on Amazon yesterday. I plan on having them installed either Thursday or Friday this week for $45. I'll let you know how they turn out. I'm hoping that they improve the quality of the highs/mids enough (for me) that I won't need to replace the door speakers. If that's the case I'll might get the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD powered subwoofer to add a small punch, and put it underneath the driver or passenger seat.

I'm hessitant to go for the door speakers because that means I'll also need to get an amp. Given that won't be able to install them myself that brings the cost of door speakers to:

$120 speakers
$120 amp
$190 install
=$430 additional bucks, not including the DB351+install.

I'm just not sure I'll get that much more enjoyment out of them vs stock for that price. (Plus I'm cheap)

Crutchfield has been only moderately helpful when I contacted them. I've talked to them 4 times now, and each time the rep tells me something completely different - and that they disagree with what the previous rep told me. :banghead:

#28 ·
Hey guys, I got a 2015 OB, will upgrade the dash, F door and add a sub as soon as the weather gets a little warm. Will get the polk dash, JBL front door speakers and will use a Bose in the spare tire subwoofer.

Let me just talk about my 2014 Subaru Forester XT Premium, the radio is the ugly one but the sound is really decent in comparison to the OB. And after I added the sub with an amp (Bose in the spare tire) the sound is amazing.

I believe the speakers you guys are talking about (kickers) are really decent. I'll post the results of my upgrade when I'm done with pictures.

#29 ·
Will get the polk dash, JBL front door speakers and will use a Bose in the spare tire subwoofer.
Why are you going with the JBL speakers? I'm just curious as I'm thinking about doing the door speaker install myself now, and I like to hear why people are choosing the speakers they are since I'm still looking. I also don't know all that much about car audio, so any advice is always appreciated. I've been recommended the Kickers, the Polk db651s, Infinity Primus, and some JBLs.

#31 ·
I had the Polk db351 speakers installed in the dash today. WOW:grin2: what a difference they make in the mids and highs. I don't have an amp - but there is absolutely no noticeable difference in volume. If anything - the volume is louder. I'm not sure how they compare to the stock tweeters though, because my base model didn't come with them.

I am now planning on adding an under the seat subwoofer next month. I'll likely do the door speakers at some point myself, but as for right now the sound is already vastly improved - and some clearer/harder bass would be nice.

I also installed the Footwell Lighting Kit for the 2014/2015 Forester into my 2015 Outback. The installation process is almost exactly the same for the Forester as the Outback: View attachment Interior lighting kit.pdf . There are 3 differences - but it doesn't make the install any harder:

1) Location of clips on vents are slightly different. New clip locations: View attachment Air Vent Removal.pdf - you only need to remove the plate around the hazard switch (step 1).
1) There is no lower dash panel to remove on the drivers side, thus making the install easier.
2) The drivers side does not have the metal mounting bolts preinstalled in the plastic kick panel. The easy solution is to just screw it directly into the kick panel like you do for the passenger side install. The panel you screw into is located vertically above the pedals, so you'll never see any holes.

It's really easy to route the cables through the dash down to the footwell if you tape the cable to a metal/plastic rod and guide it through. I used an unwound coat hanger and it worked wonderfully. Install took me about an hour and I'd rate the difficulty at 3/10. Sorry I didn't take any pics during install.

#32 ·
Welp, had about an hour to kill today so I decided to install the Subaru Forester/Kicker tweeter upgrade kit that I received earlier this week.

They were NOT a direct fit and knew this be before purchasing.

Install took about an hour and that's only because I was contemplating a suitable orientation & installation that didn't require cutting/drilling while still aligning directly below the grille cutout and providing a proper foam to grille seal.

Results now that the door speakers have been replaced and dash tweets added to my base model for approximately $275? Well, lets just say that I'm glad I didn't overpay for the HK system lol. The 'sound stage' has moved from my shins to up-top, front-n-center, right where it should be... they sound fantastic and there's enough bass from the 6x9's to carry me till I decide on a subwoofer. I'm hoping that Subaru will have a Kicker plug-n-play cubby-hole version by then.

I initially didn't think the dash speakers were needed, but for $85 I thought I'd give them a try and now I'm glad that I did.

Speakers used: 2014/15 Subaru Forester Kicker upgrade kit, 6x9 fronts, 6.5 rears- $190.
Tweeters used: 2014/15 Subaru Forester Kicker upgrade kit- $86.

#34 ·
clarify

Just to be clear, the front door speakers were a direct fit- no mod necessary. It was the rear and tweets that needed a little massaging….

#41 ·
Metra wiring harness adapter

Can anyone verify what Metra wiring harness is needed for the 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited with the HK 576W 12 speaker system? I have read over the threads and I still can't determine for sure. Does the Dash, Doors, and Rear speakers all use the Metra 71-035C harness adapter? I have also seen the 72-8104 harness also mentioned. Just want to have the right harnesses for the Dash, Doors, and Rear speakers.

Using the Polk DB351 speakers in the dash, Focal Integration ISC690 in the doors, and Focal Integration ISC165 in the rear.

#43 ·
Someone might have already suggested this, but I installed a Rockford Fosgate sub and it really fills in the lows. RF make an enclosure that includes woofer and amp. Install is quick and easy (if you have the pros do it). The box sits in the back of my outback and can be easily unplugged and removed if you need the space. The one I installed is:
Punch Single 10" 300 Watt Amplified Subwoofer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.