Subaru Outback Forums banner

A Subaru mystery

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  mtberman 
#1 ·
From.........Owner's manual, Page 11-14 Maint and Service

"Check the coolant level at each fuel stop.
1. Check the coolant level on the outside
of the reservoir while the engine is cool."

No additional hints about how to get to a fuel stop without warming your engine. Have to buy a home on a hill with a gas station at the bottom and coast there!!!!

#5 ·
The english language writer of the owner's manual sometimes speaks english about as well as I speak Japanese. And I have yet to learn my first word!

#9 ·
This is funny - but my reservoir, when cold is at the bottom line, been that way from new. The manual says when cold it should be at the top line. I don't have any of the Subaru coolant to put in, looks like I'm going to have to purchase some in any case. Amazon has it I think in mixed 50/50 and I think full strength. I've often wondered how to get it filled at the dealer, I was told it should be at the lower level when cold. I'm not sure but when hot, the coolant is pushed out of the radiator into the overflow and when it cools down, it sucks it back in as the fluid contracts. Maybe it should be at the lower level, maybe the manual is wrong.

Mysteries.....

#13 ·
This is why I only look in the manual, when I can't figure something out. I pretty much know how to look at the coolant reservoir.......at least I thought I did. I have to admit, I had to reference the manual several time relating to all the buttons and their goofy sketches to go with them. And, I've worked with Japanese auto manufacturing companies since 1981.Honda-Toyota-Subaru, and the other unmentionables. Subaru has been the most interesting to get a handle on this past week, as I'm a new owner.

#18 ·
Water Evaporation?...I understood the coolant system to be sealed, so how does water evaporate from the system? I guess some could evaporate from the overflow bottle? If water does evaporate, topping off with water would help re-balance the system.

Adding Water to Coolant....Many coolants you buy in the store are not already diluted, what do the instructions say to dilute with... water. I doubt adding a small amount of water to a slightly low coolant system is going to upset the proper ratio of coolant to water that is already in the system.

Fragmentation... I use the visual of a phonograph turntable to describe fragmentation.

#21 ·
The level should be at or above the low mark cold, and at or above the high mark hot. The part that concerns a lot of owners is that the low mark is so low that they think there's something wrong when there isn't.

Subaru dealers will almost always check and adjust the coolant level at any service. It's been my experience over the years that "check and adjust" really means glance at the reservoir and do nothing if the level is somewhere between the lines. But if you mention it, they'll usually add more. If you don't want to wait until the next service, just stop by any dealer and ask them to take a quick look. If you ask, they'll probably add some and send you on your way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.