Subaru Outback Forums banner

Husky vs Weathertech,...vs. all others ?

325K views 385 replies 223 participants last post by  Zwniana 
#1 ·
Which is best product? I have Weathertech in my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but picking up new 2015 Outback Limited mid-week, so need quick answer.

#2 ·
Weathertech. Don't get the Subaru rubber mats. I had them in my 09 and they where awesome! My new Outback has them and they're OK, but not deep at all so I wasted money on that because I'm now going to have to get another set to keep the melted slush and snow off my carpet.

#5 ·
I originally bought the Weathertech. I like the construction & material better. However I have just picked up a set of used Husky's that I will be putting in because the Weathertechs do not cover the entire footrest area nor do they go as far up the firewall. If Weathertech had used Husky's coverage pattern we would have the PERFECT Outback liner.

#7 ·
Weathertechs are a very good mat, but they do not cover further up by the pedals area.

Only problem first with Husky, they off-gas an odor for a while, but it goes away.

Pictures attached of what they look like.

Also, like the cover for the fuel door release lever, you can leave it covered for more protection or cut it out.

Weathertechs are a thick plastic, very durable and have always had them in the past. The only reason I did Husky was due to the lack of coverage further up the foot well on the drivers side. If WeatherTech made these a bit further up the well, I'd have those installed.

Husky liners are more of a rubber style liner, stiff rubber just not that hard plastic like WeatherTech.

Just make sure you get liners as the carpet is so **** thin and easy to wear. With only several thousand miles, my carpet was wearing down where I rest my heel, down to the backing. Picture attached of that as well. Had new carpet replaced under warranty even though Subaru was not at first willing, but after I protested that this is the first car to wear like this, they came to their senses.

Attachments

#11 ·
Weathertechs are a very good mat, but they do not cover further up by the pedals area.

Only problem first with Husky, they off-gas an odor for a while, but it goes away.

Pictures attached of what they look like.
Thanks for posting pictures. Like OP, I am considering the WeatherTech and Husky Liners. I currently use Lloyd Mats in my F-150. They gave off an odor for months and months and are very slick when wet.

One question about the Husky Liners, do they have some sort of cover for the retainer clip?

#8 ·
I have Weathertech in my 3rd gen and Husky in my Jeep. I prefer the Husky for the coverage reasons previously mentioned. Also, Husky mats have nibs on the underside that do a better job of keeping the mats in place.

#10 ·
I dont know the price difference but I would factor that in because I think both of these are great options and have their minor differences.
More coverage on the Huskys but coverage on the WT is pretty darn good. If you get a good deal on either you have a great set of mats. I got my WT from someone selling them second hand and they were in near new shape for about half the price - so that made them just fine for my top choice.
My WTs dont move around at all.

#12 · (Edited)
Husky is a real tight fit & cover the area behind the pedals completely. If they went up on the tunnel just a bit more you could not get dirt on any carpet. They cover some areas that I was going to wear out - Under the gas pedal & the dead pedal. I am clumsy & have big feet - I still get a little dirt on the tunnel next to the gas pedal but that is it. You could probably pour a gallon of water in your floor & none would get through. I did not cut out the gas door thing - I just slip a finger underneath. Retainer clip --- They just rise up to trap the little clip under. Still solid no holes & they are not going anywhere.

#14 ·
#19 ·
To me, they both look ugly (those tray-type floor mats), especially, when they get older... But I guess, they serve the purpose in many climate zones.
I have always been using Lloyd's Rubbertite in all my cars - those are the best looking (IMHO) for my climate zone. I get lot of "where did you get those" from people that I haul in my car.

Custom Fit Car Truck & SUV Floor Mats All Weather and Custom Mats

Lloyd Floor Mats Authorized Dealer

hmmm - I am going to look at these.
You are right - they dont look quite as nice... I keep my carpeted mats in the rear under the cargo tray so I can quickly swap in a pinch when I want my car to look a little nicer up front like when going out for the evening or something.

#16 ·
One question about the Husky Liners, do they have some sort of cover for the retainer clip?
The Husky's have holes for the retainer clips to pop into just like the Weathertech's do.

I have Husky's in my XV Crosstrek and had them in my 4Runner before that. My wife had Weathertech's in her '08 Outback but we just got Husky's for her new 2015 Outback. As previously mentioned the Weathertech's are nice mats but don't come up high enough for me in the back. The Husky's were about $60 less than the Weathertech's too which made the decision easy. Can't go wrong either way though.

#31 ·
The Husky's have holes for the retainer clips to pop into just like the Weathertech's do.
The 15's may have holes but all the Gen 4's are molded to cover the retainer clip holes. The spikes on the bottom of the mats keep them from sliding so no need for the clips. I removed my clips.

The Husky's also cove the gas lever. They are designed to be cut out for access if you choose. I left mine covered as I didn't want to funnel any water onto the recessed lever. It's not a big deal to lift the corner of the mat to reach the lever when refueling.

IMO the Husky's are superior to the Weathertech's in every way. The only thing Husky does not have is a Superbowl commercial.:wink2:

#17 ·
Owned the Weathertech's for less than 2 weeks and returned them due to coverage and gap concerns.

Purchased the Husky's on Ebay for a third less and have not been disappointed. The $60 difference paid for the seat back protectors.

#20 ·
I've only had Huskys, but then I've only needed two pairs over the past 18 years. First in the SUV I traded for the OB, now the Subie. If this set holds up like the last, then I won't do anything else. My previous cargo liner held up to ski boots, dogs, landscape rocks, you name it.

#22 ·
After researching multiple threads, I purchased the Husky WeatherBeater liners a couple of days ago for my new OB because they appear to have more coverage area than the Weathertech liners. I have had a set of Husky liners in my other vehicle for years, so I know they will do the job well. I purchased the Husky WeatherBeaters on eBay for $129, no tax, and free shipping.

#29 ·
First real snow -- In & out of car a bunch & the Husky mats are awesome. They cover nearly everywhere & hold a lot of liquid. I did not cut out the gas flap area & have the Subaru mats on top of the Husky. I just shake out the Subaru mats occasionally & wipe the Husky with an old towel to mop up melted snow. I have not pulled them out but I don't think any water has gotten to the carpet. The Husky fits so snug that you can hardly tell I have 2 mats.

#32 ·
I do not think it is possible to keep snow off the carpet better than the Husky does in my 2014. I think the perfect mat would be the Husky without the spikes on the back & without the raised piece for the retainer clip. They fit so perfectly neither is needed - Sure it is a legal concern. If it did not have the raised place I could use the retainer clips over top the Husky mat for the Subaru factory mats. Perfect - Shake the factory mats out occasionally & the Husky catches everything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.