Subaru Outback Forums banner

Installed Forester Tail Pipe Extensions

21K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  whatsacar? 
#1 ·
I added a pair of Forester tail pipe extensions today. But I did a little twist. I mounted them upside down. I think the curvature of the tips yields a better rear profile of the exhaust end. Otherwise the tips point almost straight down. And even though this puts the "seam" facing up, its only visible under close inspection.

What do you think?

I still need to drill a small weep hole in each tip to allow water to drain.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
#14 ·
Just did this mod, too. Love the look. Not crazy about seeing the welding line, but it's still an improvement. Someone asked if there'd be any ramifications from the added hole on the top of the extension (the manufacturer's water drainage hole, which is now on top). He asked if you had noticed any exhaust residue on the bumper. Notice anything?
Thanks for your pics, too.

#17 ·
I've been playing with this mod over the long weekend. My chrome tips arrived on Friday and I keep on moving them around - at first I had installed them normally, but sitting a little bit farther off the end of the original pipes, which showed the chrome tips prominently. But this seemed a bit much, so I've tried this "upside down" version and I can't quite figure it out. The original pipes are angled such that when I install the chrome tips upside down, the pipes are basically shooting partially into the extension. Not sure if some OBs come with more angled pipes?

I've gone back to the regular install with the tips inserted as far back as they will sit, which is less noticeable from the backend, but still looks darn cool. I may try the upside down version one more time. Anyone else done this and have pictures?

#18 ·
I never bothered with them upside down. I just pushed them back as far as I could and I think they look fine from the back that way.

Attachments

#19 ·
I played around some more in the garage tonight. I'm still torn on which looks better, but it's so easy to change, I guess I can keep experimenting.

Here's the regular way:

Here's the upside down way, though tight angle of these pics does not really do it justice:

#20 ·
Look similar but still think regular way looks better. But nice to have the option of either way.

#31 ·
I think most exhaust systems, from manifold to tail pipe are stainless steel now.... shouldn't rust.. I recently got rid of a 2002 Acura that still had it's original exhaust system.... no rust after 15 Nebraska winters.

#23 ·
That's a pretty subtle change. I think only someone who put them on would notice. From a practical stand point I would rather have the "short" side of the pipe possibly scraping than the 'long" side tip digging in. But that's just me.

#24 ·
Circling back to this thread, I left the pipe extensions upside down for a week and thought it looked cool, but also noticed that it created the appearance of a "faux" exhaust pipe hole sitting higher at a different angle than the actual pipes. Also, the longer side downward started to look a bit off after seeing it for a week.

So this past weekend I flipped back to the normal way, which is more subtle and just finishes the angle of the factory pipes with nice chrome peeking out below the bumper. I like it! Thanks for the various perspectives shared here.

#28 ·
Anyone with a 2.5 get these and could post pics please? I really wanted to do this for mine but noticed that the 2.5 only has one exhaust pipe. I think the 3.6+dual chrome pipe looks really slick but I don't know if the single would look the same. I don't know if I want to keep my single pipe discreet.

#29 ·
They come with a securing bolt. Slide on, adjust position, tighten bolt. I believe it is 10mm head. Note: they are always dirty, something you will not notice with just the regular tips!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.