Subaru Outback Forums banner

Clear Bra Advice

19K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  TheGenErik1 
#1 ·
I know, I know, there are many clear bra posts on this site. That being said, most are old and I know there are some new films on the market. So:
What is the best film brand?
Do you recommend just the hood, half of the hood?
What about the bumper, headlights, mirrors etc?
Lastly, what have ya'll paid?

I don't want to go overboard on this, but am thinking at least half of the hood.

TIA.

#2 ·
Half (or 1/3) of the hood will suffice.
Have it done by a professional shop that specializes in that kind of work - not just window tinting.

Prices range from $ 200 (just hood) to well over $ 1,200 (for all places that clear can be put on), depending on area, where you live. Brand doesn't matter. Some say 3M but other brands are good as well. I bought a kit on eBay (pre-cut), when I did mine few years back.

I would get at least 3 quotes from 3 different shops.

I always had only 1/3 of the front hood done on my 3 Subarus (first one I did myself and the other two I had done by a shop. It's a pain to put those on with 2 different soap/alcohol solutions, heat lamps, squeegees, etc. More than 1/3 of the hoods is an overkill, in my opinion.

#4 ·
Prices around here (Seattle area) seem to be around $700 for the basic front end stuff and 1/3 of the hood to about double that if you want the entire hood and front quarter panels done. The dealer wanted $1000 for the about what the others $700 treatment covers.
This is to have it done by someone that knows what they are doing (labor and materials).

#6 ·
Just so everyone knows the only coating thats worth anything is the 3M product all the other stuff is just fake cheap sticky clear plastic. 3M holds the patent and the material is not cheap. Really good shops buy a roll of it and use a plotter to cut templates ie your sheets. The more curves involved in applying the material the more it costs.

The SLK 350 is a 6hr job by a very experienced installer to get it right and its about $1200. A friend owns a custom car shop and he said the SLK 350 is probably the most difficult car they do thanks to all the curves and even his best guy who's worked there for 15yrs can have a tough go at it getting the material down right. The subaru is more along the lines of about $600 for hood, front bumper, front side of the side mirrors and A pillars.

#10 ·
I have to take exception to your statement that all PPF products other than 3M are "just fake cheap sticky clear plastic." I have used XPEL PPF on all my cars since 1999 and continue to be very satisfied with their products. I am not a professional PPF installer, but I have installed a few kits. I don't do that any more since installation by XPEL trained installers is excellent. My most recent installation was Oct 2014 on my 2015 2.5i Limited - XPEL Ultimate. I detail cars as a hobby, so I am very persnickety about the appearance of my cars and those I detail and the products I use or recommend. XPEL has never let me down.

Now, having said that, I do agree with you that there are some "fake cheap sticky cheap plastic" films on the market. 3M is not the only quality film. Obviously, your experience with 3M has been satisfactory. So has my experience with XPEL.

#11 ·
3m Does make a product that you can spray on- I have never tried it but apparently it will last a year then you have to reapply it. Amazon Link 3m 90000
Unless you are a very experienced painter, don't do this!

I tried it on my bumper. The instructions are very specific, that once you start spraying, you must spray continuously, until you are done. No stop and start at the end of each pass. No multiple thin coats, until you build up to the desired result. None of the normal spray paint methods. Instead, all one continuous application. If you spray too much it will sag and ruin the job. If you spray too little, the coating will be too thin, and it punctures and tears from simple road debris. Then it is very hard to get off. Very hard. That's what happened to me.

And, as pointed out above, even if you are successful at getting a good spray job, it only lasts a year. Then you have to peel it all off, mask the car again, and repaint. Not worth it. For being a 3M product, I was extremely disappointed. :28:

Your experience may vary, but for me, this was a total waste of time and money. I got no value out of my investment.

#8 ·
I've got the leading 10" or so of the hood, headlights, fog lights, leading edge of the front fenders, rear lower corner of the rear doors, door edges, and the painted area of the rear view mirrors. I'm pretty happy with that combo, but if I could afford it, I would have done the front bumper also. If I recall correctly, we got it all but the fog lights, which were done later, for $650. And that was at the dealership

The guy that installed the film on my fog lights, told me if I had come directly to him, he could have done all that and the front bumper, for only a little more than that. What I found out from him, is pricing for protective film is very negotiable. Don't be afraid to ask for a discount.

When I had the shop apply yellow film to my fog lights, I asked the business owner about the old Eastman LLumar vs 3M debate. You know. The same hotly contested debate that rages on, on every BMW, Mercedes, Tesla, Lexus, Acura, and Porsche discussion site. The guy told me he has used both, and both are great products. He said both have clear advantages over the other, so one has to look a little at what your priorities are.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the specific items he mentioned, but I did leave feeling that Llumar was a better choice for me and my car, and fortunately that is what I had gotten.

If I were you, I'd find a local installer that offers both. Ask him his opinion. I know some here swear that 3M is the clear leader, simply because of their experience. But I doubt there is a company out there that has any more experience in films than Eastman Chemical, which is the parent company of Llumar.

#9 ·
Well, after a thorough research and several previous applications on my cars (using various other films), I have this stuff on my 05 LLBeaner. This company provided tinting of windows for NASA space shuttles. I am happy with my tint film from them so far ($ 200 for all 5 windows).
You can have the film for your hood from them as well.

https://huperoptikusa.com/

https://huperoptikusa.com/automotive/

#12 ·
Clear bra and Eyesight?

The discussion we've had is that if you don't go full hood, that it would have the potential to interfere with the eyesight system. On the 2014 models, you couldn't put the hood protector on the car - they don't even make one of the 2015's for this reason. And you couldn't put a partial bra on an Eyesight Forester for the same reason.

The problem with a partial bra is that after a couple of years wear, there will be a slightly visible line at the top of the bra, especially on lighter color cars. And it's just sort of unknown if that will interfere with eyesight. Anyone have any experience on this?

#14 ·
Clear bra and Eyesight?

The discussion we've had is that if you don't go full hood, that it would have the potential to interfere with the eyesight system. On the 2014 models, you couldn't put the hood protector on the car - they don't even make one of the 2015's for this reason. And you couldn't put a partial bra on an Eyesight Forester for the same reason.

The problem with a partial bra is that after a couple of years wear, there will be a slightly visible line at the top of the bra, especially on lighter color cars. And it's just sort of unknown if that will interfere with eyesight. Anyone have any experience on this?
I have heard this argument too and have to classify it as a "new wives tale." "New wives" since Eyesight is new to us. With partial hood coverage, there is a visible line from day one, no matter the color of the car. With a quality film, such as XPEL or 3M, there is no deterioration of the film for many, many years.These two companies offer warranties up to 10 years on their PPF. I have XPEL partial hood PPF on my 2015 2.5i. There is no detectible difference in shine between the protected/unprotected portions of the hood.The oldest car I have personal knowledge of is a 2005 Honda Accord I previously owned and then sold to a relative. I saw it last August and the XPEL film I had installed on this car was still clear and shiny.

#21 ·
OK, so, picked up my white Outback Limited on Tuesday. Dealership offered to put 3M PPF on the hood for $350. I would have paid that, but decided to check around. Lots of good reviews on the web for XPel PPF. I found a very well rated shop here in Denver (Colorado Clear Bra) and their normal price for 18 inches of hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors and door handles was also $350 (with the good stuff). When I showed up at the shop, he had BMW, Audi and Porsche there. And one Outback! Haha! Got it done today. Looks great!

#25 · (Edited)
I had XPEL Ultimate installed on both of our 2015 2.5i Limiteds. I was jealous of your $700.00 installation cost, since I paid $800.00. However, looking at your photos, I understand why my installations were more expensive. The film covers considerably more of the hood, to a point approx 2" beyond the rearmost point of the headlights. The film on the fenders extends back to match up with the hood film. I have had XPEL film on my cars since 2000 and swear by it.

#26 ·
I'm a little confused. What's the difference between the stuff the dealer offered and the "good stuff that you got at CCB for 350? We had Groove install Clear Bra on our 2010 Outback and love it. We're working with Shortline, this time, and I want Clear Bra and want to install it. Of course, I'd rather go with 350 than 800, but I also want quality.

#27 ·
I went to an installer here in Vancouver, BC & they're certified to install both 3M & XPEL. He showed me a less than 1 year 3M install that had already yellowed & highly recommended XPEL instead. Having decided to protect all of the paint on the front end, the installer wrapped the PPF to the underside of the hood & fenders. I also had a strip of PPF installed on the top of my rear bumper instead of the OEM ugly black rubber bumper protector. I'd gladly attach pictures of the job but it's literally invisible since it's wrapped over the edges.

Long story short, XPEL is awesome & I'm very happy with the product.

#28 ·
Film & headlights

I'm going to get my front end done soon including the headlights and fogs. I was wondering, since the films don't filter UV, won't the lens turn opaque eventually? Then require removing the film to use a lens restorer? What has been your experience?

#29 ·
The dealer in my area uses a third part to supply and install 3 M film. Negotiated the requirement at the time of sale and had the dealer handle the installation. Hood, fenders, upper bumper and front of roof line. Competitive price (checked with independents prior) and fully warranted by the dealer as an installed assesory prior to taking delivery.

FYI

#30 ·
i didn't want to start a new thread on this, but i checked pricing in the northern va/dc metro area, and the cheapest i could find for XPEL is $799 for a basic package that includes full bumper and up to 6" of hood. i'm jealous of you guys getting such better deals, e.g. 18" of hood for $700. same 18" hood coverage here is $1499, and that's cheapest i could find.

so, anyone have regrets with their XPEL?

#33 ·
I'm partial to the 3M film, and have been using it on all of my cars for the last 15yrs. I have never had it "yellow" or degrade, so I have not needed to look at other brands such as XPEL. I'm sure they offer a good product as well, based on what I've read. Key is making sure the paint is properly prepped for the install and the technique/ skill level of the installer. Patience truly is a virtue when installing any film. For exhaust it's worth, I just purchased a 2017 Outback and had the entire front wrapped, about the first 18 - 20" of the hood and front quarter panels, headlights, mirrors, door handle cups, and door edge guards - the job totaled $700. Granted I got a "frequent user" discount from my installer, but the entire job should not run over $1K

#34 ·
I have XPEL Ultimate on my white 3.6R and have been pleased. Coverage is on the front bumper and rear bumper. I opted not to have it installed on the hood since I didn't want to see the film line. Additionally, the hood really isn't in danger of taking a rock chip due to the super low angle to the wind, just my opinion. No yellowing at all in one year of use. There are a spot or two where dirt collects near the edge in certain spots and is more noticeable on a white car. Not a deal breaker for me since its vastly preferable to the dings I could take parking in Chicago.

#37 ·
On my '16 Accord my dealer has a shop that does just this type of installs, the dealer orders in the kits and the shop does the labor, it was a bit cold the day I picked it up and found some bubbles on the edge of the hood, they ordered a new kit, and fully replaced it at their expense. On the new Subaru's we are looking at ordering late next month I will do the hood and mirrors for sure and likely the front bumpers as well. My regular Subaru dealer has a Ziebart next door to them that does the hood, front bumper and mirrors for $1k total. You can also opt for the A Pillars as well, pretty much anywhere a stone can hit your car in NY is worth protecting it. Looking at the Touring in Brilliant Brown Pearl. The last car my wife had she didn't do the film on the hood and after a few winters, she got rust bubble, cost to repair was $500, and we could have spent that on film and made the car look better longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.