Subaru Outback Forums banner

Morimoto xb led fog light install/review

25K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  derbed 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a Quality set of lights for my Fogs since I purchased my 2015 Outback. First I though I would try HID but soon found out that even the 35w set of Morimotos I have for my projectors just run too HOT for the fog housing. So I switched gears and started looking for LEDs to use instead. I wanted something that would match as close to my HID Morimotos as possible and did not have any moving parts such as a fan which I think is just asking for trouble and will not last.

Recently on theretrofitsource.com I noticed they had updated their LED section. They now offer a Morimoto XB LED Headlight Bulb that can be ordered in various bulb types. They have no moving parts and seem to be High quality construction as my HID set. They are also Plug and Play.

Install is very simple using minimal tools depending on your application. I only needed a straight edge screw driver, Velcro and some cleaning swabs to clean any finger prints off the bulbs if needed.

Lets Get Started:

1. I attached the Velcro to the Ballasts a day earlier to give them time to stick.

2. Under each Fog light there is a flexible panel. Each Panel has two snapping pins near the bumper that need to be removed and two pins vertically near towards the center of the engine that need to be removed. You do not need to remove the panel because it will flex down and give you room to work.

3. Once you remove the panel reach up in there and remove your factory H11 Fog bulb. I then attached my Velcro to the side of the Fog housing. Grab your New H11 Morimoto LED bulb and twist it into place. The bulbs are very easy to hold onto and fit very snug into the Fog opening.

4. Plug the ballast into the factory wiring to the Fog and attach the ballast to the Velcro to hold it tight.

5. Test the light before moving the plastic panel back into place and securing just to make sure the Light is working.

6. Repeat on the other side.

So far I am very pleased with the looks of the Morimoto XB LEDs. They are very bright and match very closely to my HID lights that are the Morimoto Elite 35w 5000k kit. My wife even made a comment when she came back from the grocery store last night that "the fog lights are very bright"

I placed as many pictures as I could on this post but there are more pics in my Album if you would like to check them out.

I will be placing another order soon and getting the 9005 bulbs to replace my DRL/HIGH Beams from theretrofitsource.com.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My experience with the HIDs being too hot was when I tested my Morimoto HIDs in the fog housing for about 30 seconds. I did not notice it immediately but after I took the HIDs out I did see some discoloring of the reflective housing in the fogs.

I can tell a difference in the light output from the drivers seat with the new LED lights. The light is much whiter and is immediately noticeable to my eyes. It is not a focused beam like a projector but it is much more intense than stock. Also, the fact that my wife noticed a difference is a good sign. At least for me. I can try to take some photos from the driver seat and post to try to get a perspective for you.

#4 ·
I wanted something that would match as close to my HID Morimotos as possible and did not have any moving parts such as a fan which I think is just asking for trouble and will not last.
Ditto! I have these LED bulbs in my high beams. They are noticeably brighter than stock halogen. The color is a much better match to HID mains as well. I was so pleased with them that I also got a pair of fog light LED bulbs. Waiting in for a warmer day to install.

#6 ·
Nice instructions.

BTW for the 9005 DRL/High Beam LED's - for most bulbs, one would only get the High Beams functional - the DRL would essentially be the High Beams and not at a lower intensity as the stock. If you don't want that you would have to disable the DRL.

Not sure if the Morimoto's are dual voltage - any idea ?

#7 ·
I don't think they are dual voltage. The ones I have (look similar, but from Amazon) seemingly have the same brightness in both DRL and High Beam modes. At first, I disabled the DRL. But then reconsidered and just set the auto headlights to maximum sensitivity so that I don't blind anyone with high beams in the dusk. So far nobody flashed me, so I guess they are not too bright during the day.

#12 ·
I just got these to match my morimoto XB hids but after a test drive around my neighborhood I notice the aiming was off and decided to check the LEDs. maybe they are mine but they ran super super HOT and I had to take them off. They melted the platic where the blub and housing connect. I decided to put the OEM back on.

#13 ·
I just got these to match my morimoto XB hids but after a test drive around my neighborhood I notice the aiming was off and decided to check the LEDs. maybe they are mine but they ran super super HOT and I had to take them off. They melted the platic where the blub and housing connect. I decided to put the OEM back on.
Aiming is the problem with all LEDs fitted in a reflector housing. I went down this same road before I decided to retrofit HID projectors in the fogs. The focus and beam pattern of LEDs is just not ready for plug and play applications yet. There is a reason the only major current car manufacturer factory installing LEDs, Acura, uses mini projectors for their LED headlamp application.

#17 ·
I spent some time checking my Morimoto LEDs yesterday. I kept them on for 35 minutes or so and found no melting or excess heat issues. I could keep my hand on the heat sink without any burning. All plastic parts are just fine. Mind you the ambient temp today was 22 degrees so your ambient temp could make a difference? However, the light never once felt too hot to hold in my hand.

#20 ·
Here you go. It was finally warm enough this weekend so that I crawled under the car and replaced fog bulbs for LEDs. Looks much nicer now, matches high&low beams. I also replaced my old high beams LEDs with these. The difference is tremendous. NASA should use these ones as photon drive, I can almost feel them slowing down the car when they are on :). As a consequence, I disabled the DRL - don't want to blind anybody. Waiting for USPS to deliver this as an alternative.

Attachments

#21 ·
Recently on theretrofitsource.com I noticed they had updated their LED section. They now offer a Morimoto XB LED Headlight Bulb that can be ordered in various bulb types. They have no moving parts and seem to be High quality construction as my HID set. They are also Plug and Play.

Install is very simple using minimal tools depending on your application. I only needed a straight edge screw driver, Velcro and some cleaning swabs to clean any finger prints off the bulbs if needed.

My Morimoto XB H11 LED bulbs came in the mail today from theretrofitsource.com. Inside the envelope with the Morimoto xB LED box were 2 rubber seal looking thingy's - see photo I took of them below.

Did you get these seals too? If yes, do you know what are they are for? I don't see these seals in the install photos that you posted so I'm going to assume you didn't need to use them when you installed the LED bulbs into the fogs on your OB.

Thanks again Keith for authoring a great install post w/ photos for this mod. I'm going to install these H11 LED bulbs into my OB this weekend - I just need to get some of those round velcro pads that you used to secure the ballasts against the fog housing.

Attachments

#22 ·
Hi Everyone. Thanks for all the great ideas re replacing the stock DRL and fogs with LED bulbs. I want to do the fog lights--but I have zero skills. Seems all you guys are ol' pros at these things. Two questions:

1. What suggestions do you have for finding someone to do the install for me?
2. Is it possible for someone unskilled in these things to do it successfully?

3. BONUS: Is there consensus that the LED replacement for the fogs does not cause any heat/melting problem? Seems yes--just triple checking I read the thread right.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.