Subaru Outback Forums banner

Where to attach a tow strap

63K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  dukey33 
#1 ·
Where is the best place to attach a tow strap to my 2015 OB? I don't have a trailer hitch.

:loveawd:

#4 ·
http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/91583/pdf/ownerManual/091583_2015_Legacy/MSA5M1504ASTISvD_14.pdf

9-14 In case of emergency/Towing & Towing hooks and tie-down
Front towing hook (Outback):
hooks/holes
1. Take out the screwdriver, towing hook, wheel nut wrench and jack handle from the under-floor storage compartment.
The towing hooks should be used only in an emergency (e.g., to free a stuck vehicle from mud, sand or snow).
A towing hook is supplied with Outback only. Legacy is not supplied with a towing hook (it is available as an accessory). On Legacy, the towing access cover is on the rear bumper only.
SUBARU recommends towing be done by your SUBARU dealer or a commer- cial towing service.
3. Screw the towing hook into the threaded hole until the threads can no longer be seen.
CAUTION
. Use only the specified towing hooks and tie-down hooks/holes. Never use suspension parts or other parts of the body for towing or tie-down purposes.
2. Pry off the towing access cover on the front bumper using a screwdriver, and you will find a threaded hole for attaching the towing hook.
. Never use the tie-down hole clo- sest to the muffler under the vehicle for towing purposes.
. To prevent deformation to the bumper and the towing hook, do not apply excessive lateral load to the towing hooks.
4. Tighten the towing hook securely using the jack handle and wheel nut wrench.
After towing, remove the towing hook from the vehicle and stow it in the under-floor storage compartment.
Fit the towing hook cover on the bumper.
In case of emergency/Towing 9-15 longer be seen.
WARNING
. Do not use the towing hook except when towing your vehicle.
. Be sure to remove the towing hook after towing. Leaving the towing hook mounted on the vehicle could interfere with prop- er operation of the SRS airbag system in a frontal collision.
2. Pry off the cover on the rear bumper using a screwdriver, and you will find a threaded hole for attaching the towing hook.
4. Tighten the towing hook securely using the jack handle and wheel nut wrench.
Rear towing hook (Outback):
1. Take out the screwdriver, towing hook, wheel nut wrench and jack handle from the under-floor storage compartment.
After towing, remove the towing hook from the vehicle and stow it in the under-floor storage compartment.
Fit the towing hook cover on the bumper.
3. Screw the towing hook into the threaded hole until its thread can no
WARNING
Do not use the towing hook except when towing your vehicle.

#15 ·
Reactions: Jaysus
#14 ·
If you have a hitch you would have a 1 1/4inch receiver center line behind your bumper or just under the bumper which you can get a insert which has a heavy Dshackle on it.

From the front you use the supplied screw in eye bolt threaded into the bumper frame the primary design for this by the way is for the flatbed tow truck to pull your car up onto the flat bed not yanking people out of the ditch.

#16 ·
I always keep a recovery strap in my car. In the winter, I also keep a 2" receiver D-ring (Harbor Freight) in there. I keep a smaller D-ring shackle and a tow strap cinch bone (eTrailer) in there.

In a pinch, I have just tossed the recovery strap loop over the 2" ball on my hitch, but I would prefer to use the D-ring. I pulled my dad's Jetta out of some mud a few months ago. No problem pulling it out, obviously...

And, yes... please use a recovery strap for this job. Recovery straps have some spring to them... tow straps do not. The springiness not only helps to jerk a stuck car out of the mud/snow/sand, but it also puts less stress on your Outback.

#21 · (Edited)
#22 ·
I'm intrigued by the thought of turning my hitch ball into a projectile. :)

My tow ball attachment for the receiver hitch is in the garage at my summer house 220 miles from where I usually need to pull someone out of the ditch at my ski place. I just tie a rope around the bolt-on receiver hitch passing it thought the two eyes for the chain hooks and use a come-along that's in my Vermont basement. I winch the car out of the culvert rather than try to pull it.

#35 ·
As I stated, using a hitch pin is not ever likely to be a problem pulling with or recovering a Subaru but just like in engineering, be careful with scaling. Pulling a full size truck or jeep can put much more load on all the recovery equipment. The bent pin failure should not be catastrophic (like snapping a tow ball), just a PITA for removing the strap later.

#38 ·
You gave no context for your question somI can answer two possible scenarios.

If the OB is disabled (not running) place the transmission in Neutral to tow it. READ THE WARNINGS in the owners manual about towing an OB.

If it is operable and being recovered; generally place the selector in the direction the vehicle is being pulled, Reverse if pulled backward or Drive if going forward. Follow the recovery vehicle operator’s instructions.