Subaru Outback Forums banner

Just took home my 3.6 - love it but hate the color!!!

24K views 58 replies 42 participants last post by  MissDaisy 
#1 ·
I spent months researching and test driving cars and it came down to a new 2.5 OB, new 3.6 OB, or new VW GTI. I went with the 3.6 and it is the first new car I've ever bought. I was 99.999% confident in the purchase decision and any shred of a doubt I had about buying a new vs used or 3.6 vs. 2.5 or OB vs. GTI disappeared when I picked it up. This IS the right car for me. Except the color. What a huge mistake. I was torn between white and silver and "played it safe" with ice silver b/c I've always owned silver cars. I hate this silver - it looks blue. It isn't like I can just exchange this for a new color, like I can do with clothes........right? Guess I'll have to drive this for a few years. But I'd rather drive an icey blue OB than something other than an OB. Dammit, though! :crying:

#2 ·
me too!

b/c I've always owned silver cars. I hate this silver - it looks blue:
DITTO!!!

Purchased on a sunny day- looked good. Cloudy the next day and looked blue- NOT HAPPY!

#6 ·
I understand. Most of my cars have been silver too. I chose the carbide gray metallic which I like but it is really dark on cloudy days and that seems to be all we are having right now.

Not sure about exchanging the car but you could get it Plasti Dip'd and have whatever color you want.

#7 ·
Like Tom Bodett said when the lights are out all motel rooms look the same.

When I am behind the wheel and driving I do not seem to notice what color my car is.

Maybe some colors will let the car go faster or get better gas mileage? I have never tested any to see if it may be true.

Did you not at least look at cars in the dealers lot before deciding on the color you wanted?

#9 ·
there was a lady here last year that did this with a 2014.

got grey then switched for charcoal as I recall. (edit: looked can't find the thread...2014 2.5 last of the stick shifts,...some lady in a rural place in NC or Virginia,...the dealer even brought the car to swap them in her driveway so she did not have to travel back to them vs. work.)

just call the dealer and ask,...its just a little paperwork for them,...and they "should" be willing to make their new customer happy.

#10 ·
Just be happy your not like the 1000's of other silver car owning folks yours is kinda different ;-)

We have a silver VW 2001 era I hate the color. Even worse I can't stand silver car owners who drive in the fog and heavy rain with no head lights that color makes you a ghost very hard to see!

On the flip side I have you beat! My OB is dark blue as in almost black wife pushed for it. It shows every little scratch and imperfection which is totally not my style car gets washed about once every 5 months LOL. Interior gets a full wipe down about once a week we have kids.. Enough said.

I bought my mom the pearl white 2010 Legacy off the first truck delivering the 2010's that is my top favorite color. Looks sharp even when its dirty.

#56 ·
I agree about road-colored cars being hard to see. Silver, grey and light blue are all bad for that. I was disappointed that the Outback seems to come in 50 shades of grey (Ok, 4 shades of grey) but you can't get one in red or a nice vivid green. I like the dark blue though, I would have ordered one of those if I wasn't enticed by a white 2014 demo for $7000 less.

#11 ·
I'm in the opposite, I love the silver color, my 2014 Forester XT is silver, really great and I tinted all the windows, I love it.

But, we just purchased an OB for the wife, I wanted to get the silver but is a car for the wife so I had her made the decision. She choose a hard color to get, the Twilight Blue Metallica (light blue) and she loves it (few in the state when we got it). I tinted the windows and now I love it too.
I got to say one thing, I love the blue color in the silver. I can see that color at the end of the day but during a clear day, I wasn't too crazy about the silver.

I'm sure that since you haven't take delivery on the vehicle, your dealership will be able to swap it with another stealership, just ask.
I think you should go what you think you'll like best since you may have that car or few years.
Good luck with your decision and just let us know.

#12 ·
the white on the VW cars was a flat gloss white (I had a TDI mkIV). The silver on the VWs was also a flat gloss... I say "flat" because the subaru paints are metallics - have little metal flakes (or something) in them... so yeah, the silver is a bit more to the blue...

I had a white VW, and wanted a white outback... picked up a 2013 off the lot in the carbide gray (which is a nice color).... but after having it for 2 years, wanted white. Traded it in.

#13 ·
Currently waiting for our 2015 Limited 2.5 w/eyesight in Lapis Blue to replace our 2013 Ice Silver. As time has passed, my wife likes it less and less. I still like it, but the Lapis Blue looks better to me.

#15 ·
I spent months researching and test driving cars and it came down to a new 2.5 OB, new 3.6 OB, or new VW GTI. I went with the 3.6 and it is the first new car I've ever bought. I was 99.999% confident in the purchase decision and any shred of a doubt I had about buying a new vs used or 3.6 vs. 2.5 or OB vs. GTI disappeared when I picked it up. This IS the right car for me. Except the color. What a huge mistake. I was torn between white and silver and "played it safe" with ice silver b/c I've always owned silver cars. I hate this silver - it looks blue. I kind of knew it was like that but I assumed I'd be ok with it. I'm not. Meanwhile, in the time I spent waiting for this to arrive, I just fell more in love with every white OB I saw on the road, or other white SUV with black trim. :-( It isn't like I can just exchange this for a new color, like I can do with clothes........right? Guess I'll have to drive this for a few years. But I'd rather drive an icey blue OB than something other than an OB. Dammit, though! :crying:
I was in the same exact situation - I loved my silver Tacoma and wished the OB had a similar sliver. I couldn't decide so actually order both Ice Silver and White with eyesight from 2 different dealers back in October so I could make my decision when they came in December (without waiting another 2 months). I didn’t like the blue in the silver either and ultimately went with the white. Initially I regretted it but now I am very happy. I also tinted all the windows 20% so the black contrasting with the white really looks sharp.

But I think the moral of the story is as time goes on it will grow on you. Give it a month and see how you feel. Nice thing about silver is dirt shows less.

#17 ·
Mine is Twilight Blue and I wish I had gone with the Wilderness Green. The blue is "nice" and very common (which I thought would be good for resale) but I really like the green. Strangely though, where I come from in Ireland, people won't buy green cars because they think they are bad luck.

#19 ·
#20 ·
I spent months researching and test driving cars and it came down to a new 2.5 OB, new 3.6 OB, or new VW GTI. I went with the 3.6 and it is the first new car I've ever bought. I was 99.999% confident in the purchase decision and any shred of a doubt I had about buying a new vs used or 3.6 vs. 2.5 or OB vs. GTI disappeared when I picked it up. This IS the right car for me. Except the color. What a huge mistake. I was torn between white and silver and "played it safe" with ice silver b/c I've always owned silver cars. I hate this silver - it looks blue. I kind of knew it was like that but I assumed I'd be ok with it. I'm not. Meanwhile, in the time I spent waiting for this to arrive, I just fell more in love with every white OB I saw on the road, or other white SUV with black trim. :-( It isn't like I can just exchange this for a new color, like I can do with clothes........right? Guess I'll have to drive this for a few years. But I'd rather drive an icey blue OB than something other than an OB. Dammit, though! :crying:
This may not satisfy, and if you think there's no way, I would HURRY back to the dealer and see what you MIGHT be able to work out. (I'm not as optimistic as some that they will do whatever to make you happy. Depends on your dealer.)
But my suggestion otherwise is to GIVE IT TIME to grow on you. If you are indeed going to have to live with it, quit beating it up. I personally don't mind the blue look on the silver, and could live with it, though I really LOVE the Tungsten because it morphs also, from gold to silver, depending on the day and surroundings.
Your silver will also morph, and tomorrow you may see it looking like a totally different silver than you see today.
In any case, hope you learn to like it because it is a FINE vehicle!

I'm in the opposite, I love the silver color, my 2014 Forester XT is silver, really great and I tinted all the windows, I love it....

I'm sure that since you haven't take delivery on the vehicle, your dealership will be able to swap it with another stealership, just ask.
I think you should go what you think you'll like best since you may have that car or few years.
Good luck with your decision and just let us know.
Read her SUBJECT LINE: she HAS taken delivery.

#21 ·
If you just got the car and bring it back tomorrow you may be lucky.

#26 ·
I love the ice silver on my 2015 3.6 outback! It looks great in any light. I purchased the car because if does change from silver to blue. Doesn't show dirt like the darker colors and less glare off the hood on a sunny day. Besides my wife has a white car with the tan interior. I like the white but HATE the tan. After a few years if looks dirty and dingy.

#27 ·
I got the Ice Silver and love it! Mine isn't garaged so it gets dirty fast, at least in theory. The Ice Silver doesn't show it. It hasn't been washed in two months and you can't tell until you get up close. I do like white, but opted for the silver since my last car was white and have no regrets. It doesn't hurt talking to the dealer but if that doesn't work out then give it time and it might grow on you. The only negative is I look like a Raider fan and as a lifelong Cowboy fan that's completely unacceptable.

#31 ·
Not sure about the dealer you bought this from, but I had three different colors in two months' time because Subaru likes blue enough to put it in colors that aren't supposed to be blue. I had the ice silver (not silver, sky blue actually) then I had the carbide gray (not gray, navy blue metallic actually) and finally settled on the tungsten, which is actually beautiful. In the sun it looks like champagne diamonds. Mine is a 2014, so I don't know if that color is available on '15 models. In all actuality, I went over there looking for a 6MT Forester, but one did "not exist anywhere on the east coast." So it was not going to happen. The dealer gave me no grief about the three cars in such a short time. I lost a little on the last deal becuase I drove that one for two months, but it was a 6MT, which is no longer made in the Obie, so people were lined up for it. They didn't lose anything in the deal at all. I kind of liked that green color, but think I would tire of it. I tend to stick with neutrals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.