Subaru Outback Forums banner

I will never remove my oil plug again.

43K views 79 replies 32 participants last post by  reelmower 
#1 ·
I did my first oil change today. I used my Pela 6000 oil extractor. It inserts into the dipstick hole. After extracting the oil I removed the oil plug to see how much oil was left. After removing the plug I didn't get one drop oil out of it. I was even able to remove all the oil from the oil filter area as well.

#3 ·
Interesting... I've never even heard of such a device. If it makes your life easier and reliably gets all the oil out, then why not? The only thing I would worry about is sludge accumulating and building up in the bottom of the pan over time... but if you really didn't get a single drop out after pulling the plug, then maybe that worry is unwarranted.

There is something comforting to me in getting the oil nice and hot, pulling that plug and letting gravity/hydraulic head do its thing.

#4 ·
PELA is not the only manufacturer of oil-sucking device. I have done "topside" oil-changes for many years.

For over 160K miles, I never EVER got under my VW TDI. Just suck the oil out the dipstick tube, replace the drop-in filter, and refill with fresh oil. (VW technical manual RECOMMENDS topside changes due to the engine 'undercover' which is PITA to R&R)

With the FB engine, it almost begs for topside oil-changes due to filter on the top.

I have also used my oil-sucker to change ATF fluid, differential fluid, PS fluid, brake fluid.... any fluid which does not have a drain plug. The graduations on the side of the sucker make it easy to measure what was removed and put back EXACTLY what came out.

#5 ·
#8 ·
This interests me greatly. I looked up Pella 6000 on eBay- no go. Any make/model and where to purchase recommendations?

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Used a top side extractor for years on my VW's... didn't work for my Saab.. but I will definitely have to dust it off an give it a whirl for the Outback.

Only concern on the 1st oil change, would all the "junk" from the break-in be at the bottom such that you'd want to remove the plug for the 1st oil change?

#10 ·
I think you can't beat the Fumoto oil drain valve for changing the oil - that, of course, requires to crawl under the car but it does eliminate removing oil plug alltogether.
I have an extractor but I use it for other than oil purposes.

But, with oil filter now mounted on top of the engine the oil extractor would make sense as this type of service could be all done from the top.

#11 ·
I think you can't beat the Fumoto oil drain valve for changing the oil - that, of course, requires to crawl under the car but it does eliminate removing oil plug alltogether.
I used a Fumoto once before and it was handy, but I could never get over the concern about how much old oil remained in the pan. I'm sure it was much less relevant on a diesel that required 4gal oil changes than it is on our 2.5's. Then again, maybe not given the surface area of the oil pan…?

Any thoughts regarding the unrecoverable oil amount when using a Fumoto?

#26 ·
I have done a COMPLETE oil-change in 30 minutes without losing a drop. This includes the Getting out the tools, putting the tools away, filter-change and emptying the oil-extractor into a jugs to be taken to the recycle center.

The oil-filter gets put into a 1-gallon ziplock bag along with all the paper-towels I used during the oil-change. (The paper-towels tend to absorb any residual oil which seeps out of the filter)

#20 ·
plug too

Especially if using the Fumoto or suction method....? I like the flush idea to ensure it's all removed...

#23 ·
Exactly. When you drain or vacuum the oil, there is still quite a bit oil left in the engine. Our 2.5 engine calls for 5.1 qt when changing oil and filter. I am pretty sure that the dry-fill (new engine) is much more than that. I do not have the number but it is probably over 6 qts.

I am glad OP did this because I will try to do this when I change my oil. Have been doing this way on German cars for 20 years and this makes oil change a very simple and clean job.

#25 ·
The only way to change engine oil on a boat is with an oil-extractor, Hence a good selection of oil-extractors is available from West Marine
Search oil extractor | West Marine

However, since I am close to the DR factory, I use one of these.
http://www.drpower.com/shop-by-category/maintenance/maintenance/oil-extractor-pump-vacuum.axd

ONE CAUTION! - If you use synthetic oil, some oil-extractors will stop working after about a year. This is because synthetic oil will make the rubber seals swell up and the pump will no longer function. (I ruined a couple oil-extractors with synthetic oil)

#28 ·
Some points of interest from a former aircraft mechanic. We used to have non-detergent oil which let stuff settle out into the sump. Then we had detergent oil, which car oil has been for ages which tends to keep stuff in suspension and captured in a screen that aircraft engines used. No filters!

Now cars have fantasticly good oil filters which will capture that which the detergent oil keeps in suspension. Being that this is a 2015 Outback forum, all your engines are using synthetic oil which is even more of a detergent nature.

That all being said, I could be comfortable using an extractor for a while but would be more comfortable pulling the sump plug once a year.

#29 ·
I have about 2 quarts of old 0-20 from my old civic hrybrid. I think for this first change I'll suck out the oil pour in the 2 quarts and let it set for a bit then suck it out also. Just to make sure I get as much crap out of there as I can or mabye I'll just drain the 2 quarts.

#32 ·
I know that the Pela 6000 will fit the dipstick hole and it works with synthetic oil. If you go with a different brand make sure the diameter is small enough. My Pela measures .240 I'm not sure what is needed. Even if you get the Pela verify that dimension. I have had mine for years and it may have changed

#33 ·
From what I have seen on other discussion boards, the Mityvac 7200 and 7400 are very highly rated by those who use them. I just looked up fluid extractors on Amazon, and the Mityvac 7400 is the best seller. From what I found on the Mityvac website, they come with three different diameter dipstick tubes, a 0.23", a 0.26", and a 0.41".

This may have to be on my new tool wish list. This way, I could put a Primitive Racing skid plate on, and not have to worry about having to remove it for oil changes. (Also on a wish list.)

#39 ·
Nice! Thanks! I do topside method on my Mercedes but the 01 Outback leaves about 1/2 quart. The MityVac is reversible so you can pump the oil back oil out into your recycle jug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utZpZWYWqiQ

You might want to consider removing the drain plug for the first oil change since there might be larger metal flakes sitting at the bottom of the pan on a brand new engine.

Could it get easier? Go to Walmart and get your 5qt jug. Use MityVac to suck oil out from dipstick tube. Pour in your 5 qt jug. Reverse MityVac and pump old oil back into the 5 qt jug. Return jug to Walmart for refund...errr...I mean recycling :) Heck, you could do the oil change in the Walmart parking lot :)

#42 ·
Nice! Thanks! I do topside method on my Mercedes but the 01 Outback leaves about 1/2 quart. The MityVac is reversible so you can pump the oil back oil out into your recycle jug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utZpZWYWqiQ

You might want to consider removing the drain plug for the first oil change since there might be larger metal flakes sitting at the bottom of the pan on a brand new engine.
If there are metal flakes in the bottom of the oil pan, there some much more serious issues to worry about, other than how to get the used oil out.

My first thought is, if there are metal flakes large enough to be seen, coming out at oil change, something is major wrong in the engine. First, where did the metal flakes come from? Second, what kind of damage could the have caused?

Lastly, where is the oil filter? Don't you use one? Hopefully none of us would ever have that sort of debris in the crankcase. But if there were, it should be captured very quickly by the oil filter.

#41 ·
Subaru has long cautioned to not use an extractor for turbo engines. Just an FYI for you turbo folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.