Subaru Outback Forums banner

Shopping list for my new OB 2.5 Limited

10K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  Bruce B 
#1 ·
Ordered my 2.5 Limited with Eyesight last month. They say I should see it near the end of April. In the meantime I have put together a list of things I plan to buy for it before it arrives. Let me know if you can suggest better.
From Summitracing.com: Husky Weatherbeaters #99671 for $139.95.
From Subaruonlineparts.com: Seat Back Protector for $48.71;
Molded Licence Plate Bracket for $28.46;
Slim Line License Plate Frame in black for $21.09;
Rear 19mm Sway Bar kit for $98.41;
Wheel Lock Kit for $24.34;
Case of 12 Oil Filter and gaskets for $65.52;
Wiper Blade Refills, right and left for $8.96 each;
Engine Air Filter for $16.46;
Subaru Outback Cargo Organizer for $56.84.
From Autogeek.net: Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Special for $39.99;
Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating Elite Kit for $199.99;
Pinnacle Back Label Diamond Coating Maintenance Kit for $129.99;
Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo 64 oz. for $49.99;
Speed Master Two Brush Combo for $44.99;
Snow Joe Master Kit for $24.99.
Anyone like to recommend something else that would be better? Please let me know.

See less See more
#3 ·
#11 ·
Are you going to put a hitch on it? Or did you order it with a hitch? I would strongly recommend the Torklift Eco hitch. By far, the nicest designed after market hitch for the '15 Outback.

You may also want to consider replacing the wimpy factory horns, with a Hella Supertone set.

Are you planning on any mild off road activity? Then, you may consider the Primitive Racing skid plate kit.

And, since you are stocking up on filters, you are probably planning on doing your own service, right? Look up and order the correct sockets for the front and rear differential, so you can do your own gear lube drain and fill service.

#13 ·
I can't speak for the '15, but on the Gen 4, it is quite easy. For someone who is not as anal as I am, it would be a 30 minute job. But I can take any 30 minute job and turn it into a 1 hour job. I'm so talented that way.:laugh:

A few fasteners and the front grill comes right off. One horn is right in front. The other is off to the passenger side, sort of behind the headlight assembly. It is a little more difficult to reach, but still, not hard.

#18 ·
I treated my new Outback to some updated emergency supplies (added a few items and replaced expired first aid contents that I moved from my old car) and a new multi-purpose blanket: Waterproof Outdoor Blanket | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Figured the blanket would come in handy for warmth, but also to cover the seats, if necessary, or wrap up cargo that I don't want scratched etc.

I am going to get a rear cargo net, as well. I love the spacious cargo area, even when the back seats are up, but there are some things I want to leave in the car all the time and I don't want them sliding all over the place.

#21 ·
I agree with you a lot of complaints on these cars from people but you can't find them on the lots at all you have to order. There wouldn't be a long Waite to get them if they had all these issues. The only issue I have is the head rest but I have 3 rods in my back and have to have the seat straight up but not a problem for my wife. Well make it two problems you get anxious waiting for it to come in when you order it.But we were told 6 to 12 weeks up front.

#23 ·
Have you considered a rear bumper cover and splash guards?

You may already know this but the cargo net is offered in three different positions - directly behind the rear seat or at the opening of the cargo area or along both sides of the cargo area. I chose to get the one behind the rear seat. It's more difficult to reach for things inside the net but I think it would be in the way if it were across the opening of the tailgate. The pegs to hold the net have to be installed so you'll want to plan time for that when you pick up the car.

#24 ·
My 3.6R should be showing up in about a month. I bought one the dealer had on order. It has the Moonroof, Eyesight, and the package with Blind Spot Detection, rear bumper cover, floor mats, etc. The port is adding a trailer hitch and body side moldings.

My list:
7/100 extended warranty
3M clear bra on the nose
Ski roof box, smallest possible where my skis fit, probably an Inno Low Down Cruiser
Hokian Hakkapelitta R2 SUV studless winter tires (next October)
Husky mat but I really only want the drivers mat rather than all four
A gallon of Fluid Film lanolin to spray under the car to slow down the corrosion
Higher capacity battery
Engine block heater

#30 ·
My immediate list includes:
Front/back cargo nets
Cargo shell/liner
All weather floor mats
19 or 20mm RSB
All the above to be paid for by my $250 autoshow rebate AKA free
Better speakers all around
LED interior lights
Fumoto valve
Beefier jack stands

Further down the road possibilities
HID lights for the stock projector low beams
Fog lamp upgrades
Turbo? Lol

#31 ·
Arthur,

To switch the horns in the 2015 is a LOT more difficult than the 2014. The 2014 had a removable front grill and allowed easy access to the horns. The 2015 has an extremely difficult to remove front grill/piece and the horns are buried inside the frame.

I started to do the Hella switch out, and after fighting it for a couple of hours decided it really was not worth the effort for me.

I think you get a lot more bang for your buck by swapping out the crappy stock speakers for something that actually sounds great.

#38 ·
Please let me know how that installation goes. (Also, what did you pay for the horns?)

Years ago I was driving a DeVille and with no one around I honked the horn. My wife turned towards and said, "What was that?" I did it again and she smiled. After another moment, she leaned over and gave the horn button a long push herself and giggled like a schoolgirl. (We're not young.) Arthur, that's one of the greatest car horns ever!
FYI: From the same era, the Buick Roadmaster had a differently tuned version of the same four trumpet horn. While the Cadillac sounded like a diesel locomotive, the Buick sounded like a coal-fired train.

#35 ·
Adding another shopping list item that I just mentioned on a different thread in response to a different question.....but sure fits here:

I purchased the Drop Stop for my Outback and it fits and works perfectly to prevent stuff from falling between the front seats and center console. You may have seen it on Shark Tank. My brother and his girlfriend ordered it and they raved about it, so I was eager to get some for my OB, as well. (He drives a 2010 OB and she drives a RAV4.) I'm glad I did!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Drop-Stop-Original-Patented-Filler/dp/B00BYH6C1E[/ame]

#39 ·
You will enjoy it Arthur. I am on my 5th new Outback. This one (2.5 Limited) is the best one yet. There is NO wind noise and almost everything has been improved. The heat could be a little better, but like you say. "no car is perfect". Eyesight is incredible as are all the other safety features. I keep looking for excuses to drive it, I am retired and don't have to go anywhere but I can't go longer than a day to drive it.
By the way, I have no idea what people are talking about with the headrests. They are there to protect you from whiplash, not to lay your head on while you are driving. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

#41 ·
Another idea that I got by asking around is to just remove the bumper. From what I see from research on this forum and on the Legacy forum, it's not a big deal to take the front off. Then I may be able to mount them on the steel bumper frame. Just another option for me to check out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.