Subaru Outback Forums banner

Side Cargo Nets for 2015

16K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  dwnthehatch 
#1 ·
We had a full set of front rear and side cargo nets for both out 2005 and 2010 but only ever used the side nets. We used the sides all the time and now looking around I am not seeing any side nets available for 2015. Am I blind or are they NLA for 2015?

#2 ·
not available. I suppose you could try installing the ones from the 2010 model - but the mount points at the top towards the rear hatch would be higher than the mounts for the rear cargo net.

on the driver's side of the car, it would mount differently than the passenger - if you had the power hatch, you'd have to make sure that the mount point didn't stick through too far and interfere with anything (it would be high up where the rod moves).

The bottom clips I think would fit fine as in the 2010 (if not, a short amount of paracord would fix that right up).

The handles for the rear seat release would be covered up by the nets. Not sure if the little grocery bag hooks would be covered up (I don't think they would be, but I never measured).

Thought about installing the older ones, just haven't gotten around to purchasing a set to try it out.

#4 ·
I suspect Velcro wouldn't be strong enough. If not the Velcro itself, then the adhesive on the backside.

Anything secured by Scotch VHB (very high bond -- a specific brand of double-sided tape developed by Scotch), would likely last the life of the car. VHB is very strong 2-sided adhesive. Applied to a clean and warm surface, it has tenacious grip. Waterproof too -- know that because the gopro camera mount on my surfboard has endured 4 years of pounding surf (warm and cold water).

VHB is really expensive to buy (it is normally sold in a huge roll for around $200 or more), but you might be able to get a few pieces for around $20 at an auto body shop -- they guys in the back will keep your "donation" off the books and use it for Friday night beer.

The alternative is to go to an outdoor store that sells kayaks or standup paddle boards. There are adhesive plastic cleats/plugs you can buy to secure deck cargo or leg ropes. They affix to water craft using VHB tape. I've only seen white ones (probably bought by surf shops because most boards are white or white trimmed), but they come in other colours.

They're called EZ Plugs:

http://www.foamez.com/ez-stickon-plug-p-614.html

#7 ·
did you use the recommended mounts in the back, or did you put them up higher? I figure the net would sag somewhat if mounted using the subaru mount points for the 2015. (the rear net in the 2015 is much shorter than the earlier model, which is the shared mounting point).

#9 ·
ok - I figured you could do that. on the 2013 (which I had prior as well), the rear cargo net was much taller, and the mount point was 4 or 5 inches higher.... not a big deal. On that side, you could add another mount point and not worry - I need to check the depth on the drivers side if you have the automagic lift rear hatch.

I was thinking you could add another set of mount points, and even use the previous model rear net as it was a bit taller (I like the shorter one actually).

The net at the seat back is about the same as the previous model.

I have been so lazy I have been using the seat net and the rear net, but I liked the side nets better.

Here is a pic of how high the 2013 net was...

and the rear net... very high

NOTE: when installed, the 2013 net lets the little "Grocery bag hook" have clearance to work... if you mounted a 2013 net on a 2015, it would cover this area up. So you would cover up the rear seat release and the little grocery bag hook.

I think you could use higher rear mount points for the side nets - they just wouldn't share a mount point with the rear net (unless you then used a 2013 rear net).... the installed depth of the mushroom connector isn't that bad. You would just be covering up the rear seat release and the grocery hooks.

OR - as you have shown - use the lower mount, and then just have the rear of the net a little "saggy".

#11 ·
the pics are from Cars101 - and that's the 2013 model.... so the side nets are stretched out nicely.

On the 2015, is similar with the seat back version... BUT the net is much lower

Here is a cars101 shot of the front and rear nets in a 2015. Note how much lower the rear net is - so that mount point, if you did side nets, is much lower than the 2013.

2013 rear net - MUCH higher mount point - again, cars101 image.

#12 ·
A thread update as I just installed the side nets that were from my 2011 OB in my 2015 OB. My 2011 came with just the rear net and I purchased and installed the rear seat and side nets. After living with these for awhile I discovered that, for me, the rear and rear seat nets were more in the way than of any use but the side nets were great. Traded in the 2011 with the rear and rear seat nets installed but kept the side nets and the four extra mushroom anchors that ended being left over as the 2011 already came with two installed and I only had to install another two for all three nets to be used. I used the templates for the top front mushroom anchors that were in the on-line pdf for the installation of the 2015 rear seat net but had to improvise for the top rear mushroom anchors. I found the templates for the 2015 rear net mushroom anchors were too far back and too low. The net does cover the rear seat release handle on the right side but that doesn't really seem to interfere with using it as designed.

Reactions: wagic
#13 ·
I can confirm the Gen 4 Side Nets work well on the 2015. I bought mine on Amazon. They were delivered in 3 days with free shipping for $44.

All it took was a cordless drill with 1/4" and 1/2" drill bits. It was odd to be drilling into the sides of a 2 month old car, but the results were the same as pictured in previous replies to this post. I've been very pleased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.