Subaru Outback Forums banner

Need help, before buying

4K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  shingo 
#1 ·
My wife crashed our 2012 GTI 2012, both air bag went off and it's highly possible it's totaled.

We need to find another one asap.

We are comparing the outback, CRV and odyssey.

I'm in Quebec Canada and we have a lot of snow, I never had an AWD car but it might be worth it for the place I live.

Anyway, I tow a 2000lbs boat (actual weight to be towed total)

I red a lot of issues with subaru engines and blown motor and gasket, is the 2015 2.5i fixed?

Is the 2.5i enough to tow the boat or is the 3.6 much much better? the price difference and fuel consumption is important.

I was towing the boat with my GTI but that engine was more powerfull than the 3.6

Also, is there a fix for the mirror wind noise? I was not happy about that while test driving the car.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
shingo,

First off...sorry to hear about the accident...I hope your wife is okay as is anyone else involved...sheet metal can be replaced but lives cannot...

As far as the OB and previous issues...I believe the engine issues have been resolved with the current version of this motor (at least the 2.5i...I think I have read the cooling ports have been redesigned which fixed the head gasket issues). As far as wind noise...I believe that Subaru has resolved that early production issues that caused the wind noise are resolved from what I can tell...ours was built in January of this year and is a very quiet vehicle.

There is a big thread right now about MPG's...while some have been reporting being able to achieve the "rated" MPG's on the window sticker...there appears to be a bias for owners in COLD WEATHER CLIMATES...which you will certainly fall into...at least for the 2.5i engines...many of us in cold climates are seeing no where near the rated MPG's whereas folks in warmer climates without winter blended fuels seem to be able to achieve the rated MPG's. I'm not sure if the winter blends or ethanol (do you have ethanol blended fuel up there?) is the culprit...but something combined with the cold temperatures is beating up our MPG's...so given you are in cold climates...I'd be prepared for "seasonal depression"...of your MPG's that is if you go OB...LOL

As far as towing...if you plan to tow...I'd go with the 3.6L if you plan to tow...the 2.5i is a good engine...but lacks any real umph IMO. Plus keep in mind that Subaru really derates the allowable tongue weight but with a 2000# boat...you should be under the 200# limit.

As far as hitches...do NOT (IMO) buy the dealer installed hitch...it is crazy to pay that. Go out to Torklift Central | Outback - Subaru - Find Your EcoHitch® - Trailer Hitch and Towing and check out this hitch...it comes in 1.25" and 2" receivers and while I haven't installed mine yet as it has been too cold but the hitch is in the garage waiting warmer temps!...it sure looks easy peezy...

Good luck...the OB is a great vehicle IMO other than the cruddy MPG's we're getting in the cold temperatures!

joe.

#4 ·
I will comment on the towing issue only. I tow a Lund aluminum fishing boat with 60HP Mercury outboard. Total package is about 1700-1800 pounds w/gear, fuel, etc. I towed that with a 2.5 Gen 4 Outback (have not towed yet with the '15).

My experience is that the 2.5 is just enough with that boat/trailer combo. I tow almost exclusively on flat land. If I was encountering a lot of hilly terrain while towing, I would not think twice about going up to the 3.6 engine. The 2.5 OB is rated at 2700 pounds towing capacity. In my opinion, that would be borderline dangerous in terms of power vs. towing weight. I feel I am near the upper edge with my boat, and would not recommend going much heavier than that with the 2.5. Just my experience.

All other things considered, the Outback is an excellent all-around, go anywhere, anytime vehicle. Tremendous bang for the buck. I am on my third.

#9 ·
If you want decent fuel economy when you're not towing, the Outback 2.5 is your only choice among those vehicles listed. The CR-V (the car I was about to buy until we looked at the Outback) is only rated for 1,500 lbs. A minivan is a different class of vehicle with a significantly higher price and fuel consumption. I'm all for minivans for those who need them, but for similar features, the cost of buying and driving is a significant step higher.

If you towed the same boat with a GTI, a smaller car with front drive, it's going to be easier with the Outback. I don't think the U.S. version of the GTI even has a tow rating. Did it in Canada?

We were in Montreal on vacation early last fall when the weather was a little more hospitable. Last time I took my wife there was on our honeymoon il y a long temps.

#10 ·
If you want decent fuel economy when you're not towing, the Outback 2.5 is your only choice among those vehicles listed.
I'm not sure in the cold temperatures if the 2.5i truly gets much better mpg's than the 3.6L...and if the OP is going to tow...the 3.6L may make the most sense. I had foolishly believed the EPA ratings on the window sticker...and those of us (like the OP) in cold climates appear to have to be resigned to poor mpg's in the cold months with winter blended fuel (i.e. butane) and ethanol :frown2:

I'm not sure the 3.6L is experiencing the same mpg hit in cold temps or not...I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with my 2.5i...and am hopeful that when the warm up hits the mpg's will follow the mercury! :grin2:

#11 ·
My wife crashed our 2012 GTI 2012, both air bag went off and it's highly possible it's totaled.

We need to find another one asap.

We are comparing the outback, CRV and odyssey.

I've owned a Mk5 GTI before and I currently have a 2015 Odyssey EX-L and 2015 2.5i Outback. By the way, the 3.6 Outback has a more powerful engine than the GTI, so it should be just fine for towing.

Since these vehicles are pretty different from each other (especially the minivan), I'm guessing that your needs are very different. I would suggest that you create a list of what's important to you, rank them, and see which vehicle best fits your priorities.

I think the Outback, CRV, and Odyssey are all outstanding vehicles with great reliability and resale value. (The latest issue of Consumer Reports says so too) It really depends on which of your needs are most important to you.

Good luck!

#14 ·
what kind of mpg do you get on the highway odyssey vs outback?

Here's my list of requirement :
1-tow 2000lbs
2-Can fit 3 adults + 2 baby and luggage with ease
3-Lots of cargo space
4-Good on gas on the highway (90-95% of my driving)
5-Reliable for 10-15 years
6-Not too much maintenance

Budget is around 35K$ OTD

#12 ·
shingo i am in montreal too and was looking for an outback/ crv or rogue
in the end we picked the outback 2.5 and i am glad we did.

I got it in february and so far never really noticed wind noise. The motor is not as smooth as i would like to be as i find it loud at times but ithink its mainly due to the really harsh cold we got.
The fuel efficient is dissappointing thought for now it averages 15l/100km which is more than expected. I hope itll get better in time.
Only problem I had was the relay problem when the car wouldnt start but the dealer took care of it quickly.
Other than that best car ive owned so far.
good luck in your decision.

#20 ·
I too live in suburban Montreal, we average around 9.5 to 10.2 l/100km this winter. Even better on the highway, especially since temperatures are les brutal.

Great car but very different from a GTI, it is not as quick, crisp and responsive. Very confortable, mine as no noises. Compare it more to a Passat that a GTI. Its also very roomy. As for AWD, get nokians and you will be in heaven. The car goes straight with no slipping.

#13 ·
Going from Sienna to OB

I feel your pain. I had a minivan, which is extremely practical but not fun to drive. So, I am going to OB 3.6. Less cargo volume, but still easy to load some bigger items. Do not go with 2.5, you will regret every moment, unless it is a commuter car. If minivan still something to consider, check Sienna AWD. Then test drive OB 3.6 and you will find excuse for less cargo capacity))) Actually, I am addressing the lack of cargo capacity (comparing to minivan) by installing trailer hitch to OB.

#16 ·
^^^+1 on the mini van...sorry...

3 adults and 2 kids AND cargo space is screaming mini van :(

Our daughters are 16 and almost 18..one driving and one on permit. We JUST sold the mini van last year. We've typically had SUV's (Explorer, Excursion, Liberty) although the Liberty LACKED that third row and we only had it 2 years because of it. We've had mini vans since 1999 (our youngest was born in 1999)...so...

The mini vans aren't the most fuel efficient though...so do your homework but they are the most versatile IMO and will haul your 2000# boat with ease...the OB with its whimpy 200# tongue load is NOT the best tow vehicle option although it is an incredible vehicle but doesn't get the best mpg's for me right now in the cold mid-west.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy that family while they are young...my daughters went from car seats to 18 and looking at college in a blink of an eye!

#17 ·
Thanks for the information, since my father passed away, we bring my mother along as often as we can. I would say at least once every 2 weeks if not more.

Since my kids are very very young, we want to buy a quality product like a honda and keep it for as long as possible 15 year if possible.

Also we bring the dog when we can

The last big road trip we did was with the honda accord 3 adults and one baby, 2000 miles road trip. We had a 16 cubic foot thule box full and a hitch bar cargo box also full + the trunk was full. That was with just one kid, now with 2 and we don't know the future.

With all that junk draging outside on the accord, we manage around 24 mpg and we were not driving fast. With an odyssey we would probably get better mileage in the same situation but with a lot more comfort and fun.

We could do without a minivan, but I believe we are buying a luxury, a luxury called room.

Maybe when the accord is due to be changed, we could buy an outback, we would then have the best of both world :)

#19 ·
With all that junk draging outside on the accord, we manage around 24 mpg and we were not driving fast. With an odyssey we would probably get better mileage in the same situation but with a lot more comfort and fun.
I agree with the others and think a minivan is your best choice. Even when fully loaded, my Odyssey gets consistently good mpg on the highway. My only complaint is that it is a big loud on the highway. Honda vehicle tend to be this way. You should test it and see if it bothers you. The Sienna is a bit quieter.

Kinda on the fringe, I think the Ford Transit Connect Wagon is an interesting choice. If I had to get a minivan now, I would consider it.

#21 ·
The fact that you live in PQ and have long cold winters I would go with an Outback hands down! Also you're planning to tow a boat, so I would seriously consider the 3.6 H6. I know there's folks that complain about fuel mileage, but really it's still much better than other vehicles with the same HP and weight. I have a 1998 Outback with 237,000 km, (no engine issues) had since new. I'm currently waiting on delivery of 2015 OB 3.6R Limited with tech to replace the old OB, should be here March, April. I wouldn't hesitate buying any Subaru, they're great vehicles, extremely safe and reliable. The new ones are light years ahead of the old ones (my 98 hehe) The fact that you plan on towing would keep me away from any transversely mounted engine, trany combination. I also heard the Honda likes to eat it's transmission after 100,000 km, at least in the older ones, kinda like the Dodge vans. Back to the mileage thing, my old OB with a 2.5 DOHC 163 HP gets about 11 to 12 L per 100KM mostly city driving. ( I live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island) I know of another person in Victoria that has a new OB with the 3.6 and he's getting around 11 L per 100 km in town. I know of another person that has a 2014 Ram Pickup with a 5.7 Hemi and he's getting 19.9 L Per 100 km on the highway!!!! that's insane! I was with him as he was driving, no speeding or anything, he's 83 years old. So bottom line get the Outback with the 3.6, you'll be happy:wink2:

#24 ·
I just checked and the average is 12.7l/100km
it's mixed city and highway driving.
I guess it's still a bit more than expected and hopefully it'll improve in time.

Back on topic I think it's hard to choose between a van and an suv.
I've been driving van forever (15years+) so this time when i had the chance to buy my own car
I picked the outback.
great car but yes in terms of space nothing beats a Van. I can carry 7 people with strollers luggage tools groceries and what not and everyone is comfortable.
I sure miss the space

Seems like you currently need a van like everyone says. Good luck

#25 ·
I'll make it easy. Safety is why I bought my '15 OB premium. I saw one like the commercial. Actually it was a 15 legacy that got pummeled rear end style. 50mph plus hit by a large vehicle. The rear was destroyed. I had to look at the grille to figure out what it was. The people were fine. My research and purchase process started the next day. Look at the crash tests on YouTube. They engineered the crap out of this platform. Towing is fine. I have a 15' smoker craft and does great on the boat ramp and around town. Seriously with winter driving, the head on potential and animals strikes, plus AWD you can't do any better. And get the eyesight option... Will save you a lot of gas... Set it and forget it..

#26 ·
I could go with the outback, i mean mmost of the time I would be ok, it's just a bit more crowded in road trip, still a lot of cargo space.

The 3.6 has higher fuel consumption, i'm not really convinced.

How's the 2.5 vs 3.6 fuel consumption while towing?

The issue with the van, is the boat ramp, so far with my fwd car I never have any issue, but better safe than sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.