Subaru Outback Forums banner

2015 Outback 3.6R Tungsten with Black leather

12K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  KentuckyOutback 
#1 ·
Getting ready to get this car delivered.
Found a 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
Tungsten with black leather
then I look on website and cannot find this combination
how can that be?

#3 ·
Yup that combo isn't listed in the official US brochure either.

Sometimes I wonder if things like this happen at the factory simply because the line workers are bored with the repetition and want to mix things up a bit. LOL My Ford CMax comes only in SE and SEL trims but one guy bought a new one that was badged as an SL and posted pics of it. Ford doesn't use that combination! <insert image here of a grinning line worker walking out of the plant at the end of the shift with an "E" in his pocket>

#7 ·
Picking it up Thursday or Friday. Why would they have put in black interior then? Ran out of ivory that day???
Should I worry? Would you buy a car that is not the standard colour in the brochure??

#8 ·
So cold out today!!!! The Outback made it to our dealership last night, dropped but to take some pics for you guys :)
Sorry, no full car picks, too cold and car is not cleaned up yet, picking it up on Friday but here's a sneak peak:

Attachments

#10 ·
I would love that too!
I wrote to Subaru Canada and Subaru U.S.A and both told me they didn't make Tungsten on Black.
This car is legit, new, got the V.I.N and purchase at a Subaru dealership

#12 ·
Here's some pics of the new car. No video, too darn cold here again today.
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited

On the plate in the door it says trim code J20 color code K7U

Attachments

#34 ·
I'm so jealous! Thats what I wanted! Tungsten is such a cool color, but the deal breaker was the tan interior. I went with Twilight Blue because I could get the black interior. Cool color as well, just not my first choice...

#15 ·
I don't know how that happened. All I can say is that the Kingston (Ontario) dealership didn't have a 3.6R Limited, so we drove to Belleville (next town to the west, about 50 min drive) and they had 2 on the lot. The Tungsten in the showroom had the ivory interior and this one which "just" came off the delivery truck. We didn't know any better about interior colour availabilities on these except that we liked this specific one. So we bought it. Now it's in our garage :)

#17 ·
It doesn't take the fact away that there are no other tungsten/black in Canada. Not to say there won't be more in the furure tho

#19 ·
I think if we didn't find this one, we would have ordered the ice silver with black interior. It looks pretty sharp too! They all look great!

Reactions: hikejr
#21 ·
There's a problem, though ...

You go to Subaru of Canada's website, and you can't BUILD that color combination. What I now suspect is that the factory built that car to test the color combination as a test vehicle and it wasn't supposed to get shipped - we did that at times, but the cars normally weren't for sale.

#22 ·
Took delivery of a tungsten with Ivory limited loaded two weeks ago. At the time of placing the order I would have killed for tungsten with black interior. While I was apprehensive re the lighter coloured interior I really did like the tungsten. Like won over apprehension. In any event, after driving the car with Ivory interior for the last two weeks I would not trade for the black interior. First car with the lighter interior and I love it!

Just sayin'!

#25 ·
When I was in the car business back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, we occasionally saw test-build cars mixed in with the manufacturer's cars at the weekly auto auction.

Back in (I think) early 1999, I was at the auction walking through the Subaru manufacturer cars that were up for sale that day and came across 4 identical '99 Outbacks that had been built as police cars. They caught my eye initially becasue they were basically brand new but were monochromatic, with no lower body cladding. Back then, Outbacks came with plastic lower body cladding in either silver or gold. They looked sort of like jacked up Legacy wagons but with Outback grilles and trim and suspension and so forth. They had plain steel wheels, spotlights in the pillars, giant dome lights, radio space in the dash, certified speedos, vinyl rear seating, and so forth. Pretty much everything you'd expect to see on a police-package car.

No idea why they were built or where they ended up but I regret not buying one.

#27 ·
My spouse purchased this car. I love it. I love the colour inside and out. But I am the worrying kind. It really is senseless and useless to worry about such a thing. So the interior colour is not standard. I just want to know why and no matter who I talk to at Subaru, they all tell me they just don't build them like that and have no idea how this happened. Someone must know :bonk:

#29 ·
Look at THIS video!!!
Tungsten on Black!
if Subaru is so stuck up with their colour schemes rules, why would they make a promo video showing something different. I know, it's not North American.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-SrFBJcVY
It looks like a TDI? Whatever it is it's nice, low roof rails, nice lower tail lights, be nice to see that body (and engine) in NA. (with all color combos)

#30 ·
I really wanted Twilight Blue with the Ivory interior but it is not available in Canada. After speaking with the General Sales Manager, I was told that Subaru occasionally takes special orders. I have been driving my Limited 3.6 R with ES for the last couple of months in the color combination I wanted. I didn't post earlier because I didn't want to curse my order as I probably had to wait a month or so longer. I was told by the New Car Manager that they do not do this very often as it is a "pain in the *ss". The bottle and the wait was totally worth it!

#32 ·
But yet, you can get Twilight blue with Ivory in the U.S

in Australia, you can get Tungsten with Black interior.

In Canada, we cannot get the Outback in Venetian red any longer.

These colour schemes make no sense or reasons.

My salesman told me the same thing, special order. I wonder if someone requested this specifically and didn't want it.

Thanks for your reply, it's good to know I'm not crazy or gullible saying this was ordered this way.

#36 ·
It's not that I dislike Twilight blue, I just can't stand tan or ivory interiors.
I was so disheartened by the total lack of 3.6R's available with what I wanted that I ordered mine from the factory.
It took so long to get that when it finally got here the excitement turned to frustration, until I saw it for the first time and I fell in love with it again.
My first Outback was back in 2009 and I settled for a model that didn't have everything I wanted. I swore I'd never do that again.
It's not that I hated my 09, it just aggravated me that it didn't have some of the extras I wanted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.