Subaru Outback Forums banner

2016 Outback

117K views 273 replies 91 participants last post by  The_Russian 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any idea of which month orders can be placed for the 2016 model year?

Last year, what was the earliest date orders were taken for the 2015? I assume it would be similar.

Thanks.

#3 ·
What are your expectations for $ off MSRP if ordering a 2016 in June. I can either get a 2015 for $2K off MSRP now, or wait a few months and get a 2016... but if it is going to be barely any discount initially then why bother waiting.

For those that ordered in June of last year did you practically have to pay sticker?

#5 ·
I also saw those pictures posted of what was labeled as the 2016, but the picture showing one on display at an Auto Show made me wonder if we weren't really just looking at pictures of the 2015, instead. I realize that it's very likely that since the Outback underwent so many changes in 2015 that the 2016 may not appear very different at all, but I was expecting some kind of readily identifiable difference SoMEWHERE...(grin). OF course, I'm also a newbie to the Subaru world so take what I think with a HUGE grain of salt. Perhaps some veteran in the Subaru world will weigh in on the pictures from their past observances.

#6 ·
From what I gather, it will look practically the same, but maybe with a few very minor tweaks/additions like different wheel or color options or making an option standard, and perhaps some options currently standard on the Limited cascading down to the Premium as standard. I heard maybe a manual override for the power lift gate, for example.

I like the 2015, but it's so late in the model year I am not sure it isn't worth just waiting for a 2016 and save that depreciation. But not if that is negated by a higher price relative to MSRP...

Curious to hear what discounts, if any, people got last year on an early 2015 order...

#11 ·
Anyone have a guess as to when info on changes will become available? Is it usually prior to the order open date?

Reason I ask is because we are looking at a 2015 but since orders are closing soon, we figured we might as well wait a bit longer. Hoping the 2016's bring the HID's to the 2.5i Limited (currently only available on the 3.6R) and perhaps allowing the push-button start to be purchased in a less expensive package than Keyless/Nav/Moonroof. If neither of these are made for the 2016 model we'll just pick up a 2015 now.

#13 ·
Anyone have a guess as to when info on changes will become available? Is it usually prior to the order open date?
With the big model changes from 2014 to 2015, we were getting information on what would be updated frequently, and we actually got a couple of new units in late June, but orders didn't open until July. And even then, the Eyesight cars weren't available for delivery until late September.

Don't forget that SIA will be taking summer shutdown during 4th of July week, too, so there's no production during that period - which is NOT when they'll do model changeover. They'll either do it earlier than that - so they can get a few cars out to dealers before shutdown, or shortly afterwards. Either way, it's about a month lead time for them to get stuff to us.

Anything - and I mean anything - that's said now is pure speculation. Sales are still over the top on the Outbacks. I had someone last weekend say, I won't order one now, I'll just wait 3 months when there'll be a glut of them on the lots. I'm a professional - I didn't laugh in his face. But then again, I had someone tell me once that the WRX and STI aren't limited production sports cars ... >:)

#12 ·
My 2015 3.6R Limited is in transit so I probably have no opportunity to switch it to a 2016 order, but what would make me regret not waiting is if the 2016 Eyesight system adds auto-steering to go with the ACC. It already exists on the Japanese models ....

#24 ·
We may not see auto-steering for awhile

"Although the U.S. version of EyeSight gets Subaru's more sensitive third-generation camera, it lacks some of the system's more advanced automated steering systems. In Japan, Subaru has deployed a third-generation system that also includes lane-keeping technology and a lane-departure prevention function. Both feature automated steering assist controls to nudge stray drivers gently back on course. Those functions are available only in the Japan-market Levorg wagon and WRX S4 sporty compact, both of which went on sale this year.

Subaru says it hasn't deployed those features in the U.S. because the technology cues of a road's white lines, and not all American roads have those."

#14 ·
2016 ordering dates were recently updated and were posted on other threads in this forum already. As of today, they are:

02-Apr-2015 Last day to order 2015 MY cars (may be 03 Apr for some)
01-Jun-2015 First day to order 2016 cars

This is in line with what we've seen in the past in carryover years. The first cars typically begin arriving at dealers in late June. Although the final order date is technically not for another few weeks, certain colors or options may already have been deleted from the ordering system and are no longer available. Also, the ordering system may actually be opened prior to June 1, Only your dealer will know for sure when the ordering system is actually open.

In the past, Subaru does a press release announcing the next model year's pricing, often on a Thursday, and the order system opens up the next day, Friday. The best course of action is usually to look for the announcement and then ask your dealer the following day about ordering. They may say "no" offhand, but if you can convince them to actually log in and try to place the order, they may be surprised to see that orders have opened up that day. YMMV

#17 ·
In the past, Subaru does a press release announcing the next model year's pricing, often on a Thursday, and the order system opens up the next day, Friday. The best course of action is usually to look for the announcement and then ask your dealer the following day about ordering.
Thank you, this is exactly the answer I needed to hear! Unfortunately that also means I'll have no idea of the changes before it's already likely too late to pick up a 2015...

#20 ·
Thanks. I haven't yet heard much of what to expect re: % off MSRP if ordering in June. That is my main concern with waiting to order a 2016 rather than ordering 2015 now which I can get below invoice. From prior owners experience what kind of deals do you get when ordering right when the window opens?

#30 ·
Realize, though, that this is for FLEET orders. For example, if you read through to the cut-off announcement date, you'll see that it says that the cut-off date for Foresters is Jan 30, with 2016 orders opening on March 30.

Except that at our retail level, I can still go in and order a Forester if I needed to do so. The only sold orders that are officially cut off right now are for certain colors of the WRX and STI.

#42 ·
Me too, after months of studies and learning I made up my mind about the Outback and removed competitors from my head... But I am now also in the area of 2015 or 2016... Dealers here in Canada said not before August we start getting the stock for 2016...

I wish I know what little improvements or options they made in the next year model so I can decide if I go with 2015 or wait for end of summer

#44 ·
Don't expect the engine to change.. According to the CARB emissions testing reports for 2016 vehicles, the outback isn't on the list so unless Subaru gets it done from now until production, which is a far stretch, the 2016 Outback's engine is going to be a direct carryover from 2015.

#49 ·
Did you see that? Planet Subaru $1195 for a 10yr 150k mi warranty

Wow, I wish I lived near Boston. I checked out the link on the new features for the 2016 OB from planet Subaru. They sell their cars with lifetime washes, batteries, TIRES!, and a 10 year 150 k mileage power train warranty for free. If I read it right you can buy into the program for $1195. Not sure if that's the entire program. You have to get the car serviced there. Or if it's just the power train warranty which is still a great deal if it is what it is. Is the a planet Subaru customer or employee that can clear this up. I don't want to wait til morning to call.

#52 ·
My wife and I seem to be in the same situation that a lot of you are in. We've narrowed our search for a new family vehicle and have settled on the Outback (3.6R with tech).....but we don't necessarily want to commit to it right now, in case the 2016 model is announced very shortly afterwards.

It would sure be nice if Subaru gave some sort of indication of what could be new on the 2016 models. Even just the colours would be great, I know that is a very important detail for my wife (currently she's favouring the tungsten with the ivory leather).

I'll be monitoring this thread very closely over the next month to see if anyone digs up any new info.

#53 ·
It will be tough to find a new 2015 3.6 on the lot, most are 2.5s. I think orders for 2015 were also shut down in early April, so you wouldn't be able to order the 2015 model. You will likely need to wait and order the 2016 3.6 in June. Changes are very minimal, the only minor addition is a few more functions in the infotainment unit. I've got a 2015 3.6R on order for May delivery and there's no way I'm canceling to hold out for something better in the 2016 model.

#58 ·
IMHO, if it's true (and most likely it is) that the only upgrade is the stralink remote functionality - no! Stolen vehicle recovery? Ha! My friend got his BMW stolen, equipped with that tech - first thing the thieves did was to rip it out. By the time he called BMW asking them to track the car, the signal was already lost. The car was recovered, but only because they got bored with it and abandoned it in Newark. I have that 4G stuff (health reports, dealer scheduling etc.) in my wife's BMW - never used it.

#61 ·
Seriously, if you found a 3.6 for sale you'd be a fool not to buy it. I can't even find one to test drive. Want to try one as the Subaru trade in policy is great for cars less than a year old. Never tested one before buying my 2.5.

People please don't get brain blogged from these forums. This information is so awesome, but so biased. We can't have everyone that is having a wonderful trouble free car write in. There are probably close to a 100k 2015 owners out there enjoying their cars. My advice. BUY IT RIGHT NOW, TODAY.. The engineered safety features may save your life TODAY when that idiot runs a red light. Enjoy the car, it truly is an amazing machine and a great value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.