Subaru Outback Forums banner

Day one, first impressions

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Igloo 
#1 ·
Picked up a Twilight Blue Premium with Nav, Moonroof, and Eyesight today. Drove it home then took the family out for a show and back. Probably less than 15 miles today.

First impression, lots of unknown beeps. I suspect they're related to the adaptive cruise. I heard numerous beeps and finally noticed that the symbol for Cruise was changing each time from white to green and back again.

Second, I'm highly concerned about the navigation. It directed me in a direction on my local interstate that I was sure was . . . wrong. I message came up suggesting that the navigation was 'detouring' me onto a different route. We decided not to take the detour and we found no reason to detour at all. No traffic, construction, or accidents. Then when we did arrive at our destination, the the turn by turn didn't stop. When we were leaving, hours later, the navigation continued to direct me BACK to my previous destination that I was now leaving. My phone navigation usually recognizes that I've arrived and doesn't continue to direct me. Frankly we couldn't even find how to stop it. My wife had to gave it a new destination (home) to stop hearing the constant commands to turn around.

Third, the screen was way too bright after dark. Apparently the auto dimming of the infotainment screen was not enough. My wife found the setting to lower the brightness and deactivate the auto dim.

I don't mean to be soooo negative. I do really like the car. I'm looking forward to many many years of driving it. But sometimes the negatives stand out. Probably I just need some time with the manual to figure things out and maybe a little sleep.

Oh, one more thing. With all the beeps how come Blind Spot Detection is silent???? There was a speeding car in the left lane. I misjudged it's speed and went into his lane. Afterward I realized that I cut him off. The yellow indicator in my mirror was going nuts, but that didn't really phase me. It just doesn't seem consistent to have so many verbal warnings, some of which (like adaptive cruise) don't seem to be as important. But the thought that I could actually swipe some car in my blindspot with out BSD making a sound . . .

Thanks,

Bear

See less See more
#2 ·
BSD is an aid not a substitute for turning your head. Mirror, indicate, head check, change lane. That way you will avoid cutting people off. All electronics on cars aids and not a replacement for good driving habits. I'm sure the positives of your awesome new car will eventually outweigh the negatives. Just enjoy the drive.

#3 ·
Sounds like all of the things that you're not real happy with performance-wise are the extra bells and whistles gadgets that I've never had on any of my Subies. My experience is that the Gen 1/2/3 cars get me anywhere I need to go and haul pretty much anything I need to haul (snow-covered steep mountainous roads, firewood loads, home improvement loads, etc.).

How is everything else on the car? While I hope Subaru gets the techno-gadget issues worked out on their latest-and-greatest models, I really hope they're still paying attention to their basic roots of providing an AWD machine that is reliable, rugged and able to be utilized.

#5 ·
MY opinion is that your dealer did a poor job going over the basic operation of the vehicle.
I suggest you take some time with the owner's manual so you understand what's going on.[/QUOTE

+1 on your comments.

There is a lot of stuff in the manuals and it can be a little hard to follow. The electronics in the car are customizable and it does take some time to get it set up to your desires. Unfortunately it takes some time to find out what you don't like before you can change it.

#7 ·
I am definitely one who reads the manual. I will, and I actually look forward to uncovering those little things you might never have known without going through the manual (or following this forum :) It's just I took possession of the car at 5 on Saturday and attended a play with my family at 7:30.

The salesman did sit in the car, set up my phone, show me buttons and controls related to Eyesight, the buttons on my wheel, and show me how to set a destination as well. I wouldn't say there he wasn't rushed. But I'll defend him enough to offer that he repeatedly asked if I understood and if I had any questions. Some of these things just take time to reveal themselves as issues and to then figure them out. For instance he showed me how to set a destination but not how to 'end' it. I assumed it would end upon arrival. It didn't.

Clearly I need to get into the manual this afternoon.

Coming from driving a Honda Element, I really appreciate the refinement and comfort of the OB. People talk about the lack of power for the 2.5, but I assure you it has more power than the Element. Road noise and wind are so much better as are the suspension.

We surprised our daughter with the OB. She didn't even know we were looking. She was grumbling a little. She wants us to keep the Element and sell my wife's Fit. She's 11 and she said "What am I going to drive when I'm grown up."

Bear

#8 ·
As far as the beeping is concerned with eyesight, there is a way to turn down how loud the beeps are and when it beeps. Mine rarely beeps at me and when it does, i'm glad. Read the manual carefully but be warned that this is one of the worst manuals i've seen on a car....I find it difficult to find topics that I know are in the book....it's just poorly organized, poorly indexed, and poorly written in general.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Those suggested detours are worse than worthless in my experience. It's not like there is some big 3 mile backup due to an overturned tanker. It's usually just a somewhat congested piece of highway that you'd hardly notice it it never warned you.

#10 ·
I think you'll be able to work through everything other than perhaps the navigation issue. Navigation systems are always a crapshoot which is why I chose not to add the Subaru one. Their usefulness varies by brand, by area/region, and over time. Most units do not come with common sense or familiarity with an area, but they should get you to where you want to go somehow. Quality detours are a scarce commodity.

#11 ·
We didn't plan to get Nav. In fact we just completed a drive to Myrtle Beach at spring break and were really pleased with Google Maps app on our iPhone. But it was on the one OB the dealer had with Eyesight and the price was right.

Google maps saved us at least an hour of sitting in traffic when it diverted us due to high traffic. When it did, there wasn't even a brake light to be seen. It took us first the wrong direction off the interstate (IMHO), through some back neighborhoods, and then we found we were paralleling the Interstate and it was a freaking Parking Lot. WOW.

Bear

#12 ·
First impression, lots of unknown beeps. I suspect they're related to the adaptive cruise. I heard numerous beeps and finally noticed that the symbol for Cruise was changing each time from white to green and back again.

First, congratulations on your new car! You might want to start your reading with the adaptive cruise. It beeps each time it locks onto a car ahead of you, and turns green. It beeps again when it loses the lock because the car is too far ahead, or has turned off. If you are locked on and that car stops for stop sign or light, your car will slow down even to a full stop all by itself, as long as you do not touch the brake (I admit my foot still hovers over the brake just in case!). If you jump the gun and touch the brake, you will lose the lock and cruise control will turn off, which means YOU need to brake! However, and this is important, if you approach a stopped car, your car will not usually lock on, so again, you need to brake. It seems to need a moving target.

Happy reading and driving. You might also want to read the sticky thread on surprises owners have discovered about OB15.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.