Subaru Outback Forums banner

2015 Outback 3.6r limited- should I reconsider and get deposit back?

12K views 63 replies 42 participants last post by  lereneb 
#1 ·
Question for you all.... If you had it to do over, would you still take delivery of your vehicle? We just put a deposit on a 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited yesterday. Then I started reading the list of issues on this forum (awesome job and huge thank you to the thread owner!!) I am so nervous now that we made a bad decision. Have never owned a Subaru....was so looking forward to this car arriving in a week or two, but now I am not so sure we selected the right new vehicle!! And we don't know anyone that owns a Subaru or anyone that has worked with the new dealer in Concord NC.

#3 ·
Loving ours so far, we've had it for about a month and put ~1500 miles on it already. We got the 3.6r with eyesight. Just finally got the use the ACC this past week and liked it alot. Still getting used to driving it as it is definitely bigger than the outgoing Jetta we had.

#4 ·
I have no regrets with my 2.5 ltd. The nav is not as good as a Garmin, but it is integrated, which to me is worth more. The HK stereo is fine to my ears, but I'm not picky. Mileage is not as good as the EPA numbers would indicate, but you bought a 3.6R, so that isn't so important to you.
Handles fine, AWD is Subaru's strong suit, and Eyesight is pretty much the best around.

Only reason I can think of to get your deposit back is if you failed to order Eyesight on it.
People on forums are incredibly picky -- one on this forum actually returned his silver car because it was too blue in the sunlight. If you are like that, then not sure you will be happy with any car once you have had it for a while.

#59 ·
People on forums are incredibly picky -- one on this forum actually returned his silver car because it was too blue in the sunlight. If you are like that, then not sure you will be happy with any car once you have had it for a while.
^^^ True story, though missing some details and isn't really about the sunlight. However, as the forum member who traded in HER 2015 Ice Silver Metallic 3.6 for a Crystal White Pearl one, I can tell you that I have no regrets about purchasing this car and even spending extra $ to make my issue with the color go away. At the risk of being materialistic, I have to say that I feel a bit of delight at the sight of my OB in the parking lot, or as I'm walking up to it, or driving it. And I'm one of the picky ones! I intend to keep this car for a long time and I do believe I'll be as happy with it as I was with my old '99 Acura TL, which I drove for nearly 16 years.

#5 ·
The list of issues on another part of this forum are pretty long and seemingly common since multiple people have posted about the same issues, so yes it does make me nervous! Eyesight is not on the car. There were thirteen 3.6 floating around - arriving across 4 or 5 states! There are none on the lots anywhere near me. In fact, I was trading emails about one 2 days ago (without eyesight, 20 miles away) and before I decided to go drive it, it was sold. That dealership has one on order/arrival but it is already pre sold. The dealership closer to me doesn't have one or one arriving but their sister shop did so that is the one I put a deposit on.

#6 ·
Would I do it again? 4 years ago, I bought my first (and only) Subaru (3.6R Premium). I still have it, and would gladly do it again. It has been the most trouble-free vehicle I have ever owned. Period.
Instead of focusing on the postings with complaints, look for the good. Not too many of us post the great things about our Subarus. Get it and enjoy it.

#7 ·
If you pick any car Brand, make and model and read through an active forum for that model, you will find the same exhaustive nitpicky list of problems and gripes people have come up with. Most of them MUCH MUCH WORSE on other forums, LIKE Engine failures in the first 5k miles, etc.

You wouldn't be able to pick any car if you went by that metric.

I bought the 2.5i Limited and Love it. I read this forum before I bought and not after, so its probably different. I came from a 2009 WRX and a 2003 WRX before that So this is my third Subbie and I am in LOVE with them. Did take a little getting used to Driving an Automatic and now having to plan an 8 car pass LOL.

I have personally Only Found one of the problems others have griped about, that being the Infotainment system maps and Mirrorlink, but that same infotainment center has also had some very pleasant surprises that have far outweighed any need to wallow in self pity about the other things.

#8 ·
I took delivery of my 2015 3.6R with Eyesight in April (built in March) and have had it for a bit over a month. I had been reading this forum for months prior to that and was concerned about the litany of problems people were reporting here.

So far I'd say that it has exceeded my expectations. As for the infotainment, I'm not sure what people are looking for with that. It could be literally infinitely configurable and people would still complain about it. The HK radio sounds fine (yes it uses the front center speaker a lot because if there is no stereo separation in your source signal i.e. the left and right channel are the same, it's meant to be coming from the center- people don't seem to understand that). I have no wind noise issues, I have the light interior and blue jean transfer is a thing but comes off immediately when wiped with a wet cloth. I got a minor rock hit already and no my windshield didn't crack. My rear power gate works just fine and people who say it's slow, well I'm not sure what they are looking for because it seems perfectly fine to me. The MPG has kinda sucked (21ish) but it's a big heavy AWD vehicle with a thirsty 6 cylinder, if you don't foresee that going in with eyes open you're going to be disappointed in your own stupidity.

I want to get back to the infotainment. If you are getting navigation, I think it's actually really good for an in car navigation system. It knows addresses quite well, the prompting is good (turn left at the traffic light, etc) and is it as fast as my top tier smartphone? No, but I don't think any in car system is. I'd like to be able to turn off the voice prompts but I've gotten over it. Would I like a bigger clock somewhere more useful? Sure, but it's not going to likely happen with any kind of software update, so I've gotten over it.

What other idiotic comments have I seen on here? Oh, someone's exhaust rusted a bit on the exterior. That's going to happen, no matter what, and is literally not a big deal at all. People seem to complain about the lumbar support but if you have a super touchy back you need to be sitting in a car you're going to buy for a decent amount of time and not doing so is your own fault. Front headrests, as a quite tall woman at 6'1" with a pony tail it definitely hits it even as far back as it goes. Again, if this bothered me I shouldn't have bought the car because I should have noticed that when I test drove it. Oh, people complain about the tires. Granted I haven't seen any snow or ice with this car, but I've tried to get it to even chirp a tire and it won't, and it doesn't lose traction even in pouring rain.

I have seen an insane amount of whining about stupid stuff here. If your windshield broke then I'm sorry, but those things happen and windshields break all the time. This is the first model year of the car and the supply chain is going directly to building new cars because everyone wants one and it takes a while to build up inventory of replacement parts.

This is long and ranty, but I get the feeling that people think this is a luxury bespoke vehicle that will be perfectly customized to your liking with every convenience feature any car has ever had. No, it is not a custom Rolls Royce with your family crest embroidered in the headliner, it is a mass produced, built to a price, high quality mainstream vehicle. If you go into the purchase with that in mind, you are going to be very pleasantly surprised.

#9 ·
People without problems with their new cars don't join online forums and talk about it - unless they are tech geeks like me and just like to spend time online. So you get a lot more "problem" postings than "I love my car" postings. I've had 0 problems with my 2014 in the 14 months I've owned it. I'm sure you'll be very happy, and if not, it seems that Subaru Of America (SOA on this forum) is very responsive to customer issues.

#10 ·
I have been very happy so far with my first Subaru. I have the 3.6R with NAV and Eyesight. I have no real complaints with the NAV and the ACC with Eyesight is great. I have had a cracked windshield but I am not convinced yet that it is a widespread problem yet verses just bad luck. I think if you look on most car forums you will most likely find more complaints than glowing reviews. Don't over analysis it.

#12 ·
My '15 is the best car I've ever owned.

Working in retail, we get 10 complaints for every thank you.

The 100 other people that were happy as could be and on their way never take the time out of their lives to bother, that's just the name of the game.

I have a feeling it's a similar situation here.

#14 ·
Everyone cancel your orders and go buy Jeeps.

I felt good about buying a smaller-market, well-appointed, capable, great-looking car for a fair price. Now I'm reading about record sales and I think my secret is out. I'm disappointed that everyone is jumping on my little bandwagon.

This is a great car. I am in love with it. I want to shout my love from the rooftops. But I don't want everyone to have one! Again, cancel your orders.

#19 ·
Everyone cancel your orders and go buy Jeeps.

I felt good about buying a smaller-market, well-appointed, capable, great-looking car for a fair price. Now I'm reading about record sales and I think my secret is out. I'm disappointed that everyone is jumping on my little bandwagon.

This is a great car. I am in love with it. I want to shout my love from the rooftops. But I don't want everyone to have one! Again, cancel your orders.
Yeah, really, I'd been looking around all winter for people with '15 Outbacks (to get a feel for the various colors), and saw very few. Now it seems at least half of the Outbacks I see are new, frequently in Limited trim, and I'm feeling a little less special. But there's one thing most lack, and that's the 3.6R. Unfortunately, that's not an obvious detail, so don't expect anyone else to notice. ;) But, of course, Outback owners don't buy for status - I just wanted something with the Outback's capabilities, that's a bit more fun to drive, and won't break the bank. The 3.6 has left me impressed.

G
#15 ·
My 3.6 OB is one of the few cars I've ever driven that just feels "right." The last was my '06 Tacoma 4x4. Everything else has left me with a sense of indifference. I only have a few hundred on the odometer, but I can easily see me having it for a VERY long time. I'm extremely happy with it.

#16 ·
We keep cars a long time and just switched to an Outback from an Acura MDX. We loved the MDX but wanted better gas mileage, safety, ability to run on regular gas and some newer technology. We're happy with our decision. The only issue we have with the car is more a learning curve with the Navi. We are used to the Acura (04) system, but are getting used to the Subaru. Love the Eyesite and ACC. XM...not so much, but will probably extend the subscription after the trial and I don't consider XM to be Subaru's fault.

#17 ·
I ordered my 3.6r in January for a March delivery date. I got it Feb 25th (early). I love it!
Any vehicle you purchase will have some issues; they all do. This one does too (navigation issue for me).
Would I still buy it? Definitely YES. For the money / price even if you pay sticker price, you cannot beat the 3.6r Outback. Hands down for the money. Subaru has done a LOT to make this vehicle what it is; the nicest Outback to date.
Buy it, enjoy it and don't worry about the nay sayers. I'm glad I did not listen to them.

#20 ·
Love my 3.6, better than the 2.5 I had (but don't want to start that) Yes I would do it again. I could nitpick things I dont like but it isnt major issues like I have seen on lots of other makes or models.
The only thing If I was you is if you think you want the eyesight and just couldn't get it..wait, and get it, it is worth it and if you want it you will regret not waiting in the future.

#21 ·
Are you me? Seriously. If you were in Oregon I'd think I wrote this in my sleep.

I ordered a 3.6R in March and it just arrived yesterday. So I had 2 months of nothing to do except bug the dealer for updates or read this forum. I chose the ladder. And let me tell you, I was about ready to report my debit card lost so that when I backed out of the deal the dealer couldn't try to keep my deposit. (They used one of those carbon things to make an impression of my debit card as the deposit)

Wind noise, cracked wind shields, shitty audio, worthless navigation, and the fact that the 2016's are just around the corner. I was ready to run the other way.
The dealer called yesterday to say my car had arrived. I promptly made an excuse to get out of work for the rest of the afternoon and went to get my new car.

Zero. Regrets.

The 3.6R is powerful, the car is quiet, the HK audio sounds awesome, the navigation surprised me, and I'm happy. We spent 4 hours at the dealer test driving the car, saying no to warranties, signing paperwork, getting a new auto insurance quote, and so on. We were tired and hungry afterwards. The first thing my wife does is reach over and punch in Red Robin as a point of interest on the nav. It worked great. The navigation is accurate (doesn't show us 20 feet off the side of the road or anything.) I was really impressed when the little digital display on my dash (where the trip meter and MPG shows up) changed to an arrow saying turn left in half a mile. That was cool.

I wish I could skip work today and go out and play with all the cool stuff in it. Configure the hatch PIN number, set up the seat memory, program radio stations, check tire and fluid pressure (didn't do this at delivery) and all that stuff.

That said, there are 2 things I noticed with my car that I'm going to have addressed.
1. I hear the "excessive wind noise".
Now, let me put this in perspective. It sounds like it's windy outside. Like there's a storm or something. It's not loud. And I only hear it over 55mph. On the drive home I even forgot about it a couple times. I was driving and heard it on my left. I never felt any air coming in around any of the window seals. My wife says she didn't hear or feel anything on the passenger side.
A conversation or the radio easily drowns it out. Since I don't know what a bad, confirmed case of wind noise sounds like, I don't know if my car has it or if it's just normal. I've heard wind noise in my Tundra and my Sonata both when it's windy outside.

The service manager told me they weren't aware of any cut-off date where the fixed parts started getting installed at the factory. He said their policy is if the customer complains about it to install the new parts. So I need to call today and make an appointment to have the parts installed. No biggie.

2. On the drive home over certain roads at highway speed, the control panel on the driver door (for the window and mirror switches) buzzed/rattled a little. Just placing my hand over the controls and pushing on the wood trim a little stopped it. So I'll bring that up to the service manager too. I think they have to take the door apart to do the wind noise repair, so it shouldn't be a big deal. It's also VERY minor. Like I wouldn't want to have to show the manager about it because it's not loud, and it doesn't happen all the time.

Don't be discouraged about your purchase. You're going to LOVE IT.
2015 Carbide Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Option Code 23, Popular Package 5, and a factory trailer hitch.

#23 ·
Be careful of what you read on forums. Some info is interesting and very informative. But then you have the nit pickers and trolls who just complain about everything to hear themselves complain.
My first Outback was an 09. I purchased it brand new and had it until this past January, when I took delivery of my 2015 3.6R. In those years the car ran fine. It only had mechanical issues the last 6 months I owned it and where covered under warranty. The first was a wheel bearing, no big deal, and the power steering pump was a fluke.
Other than that, the car was superb. I have no regrets buying my 2015 3.6R and even though I got a little paranoid over the windshield, I'm going to remain calm with my new windshield, until something bad happens. The crack I had was from a rock hit, so I can't say it was a badly designed windshield.
I'm not saying it couldn't be, just like the wind noise debate, I'm sure there was a real problem there to have so many complained. But Subaru must have listened and fixed the problem before I got mine because I haven't suffered from horrible wind noise.
As for allot of the other complaints about the entertainment system, Sat Nav, poor tire quality, ect... To me, most complaints are at best conjecture, and open to personal opinion, not fact. It just comes down to either operator error, lack of operator knowledge, or a knee jerk reaction to something not working properly and not giving the dealer a chance to fix it properly.
I can guarantee you this. There are vastly, more 2015 Outback owners who love their cars and have had no problems whatsoever, than what you see in a forum like this. What these forums are, are microcosms of a few Outback owners, especially 2015 Outback owners, that either join a forum like this to help with a legitimate problem, curious about what's going on in the Outback world, or just want to complain. I've even seen some new members posting on here about their "2015Outback" that you can tell have no idea what they're talking about, and I have my doubts they even own an Outback, let alone a Subaru.
When you look at negative posts, make sure you look at the OPs join date. If they just joined and are doing nothing but complaining, there you go. If they sound like they're having a problem and are concerned about what to do, then you also know.
Be level headed in what you read, and enjoy your new awesome Outback!

Reactions: gsctht
#24 ·
Being a long time car enthusiast, I have participated on several car forums over the years. It's common to find complaints with any make/model. As others pointed out, you just need to keep things in perspective when using these sources during your research. Keep in mind that the participants on these forums only represent a very small percentage of all owners. Having said that, I have found that some complaint threads can actually help by making you aware of potential problems and perhaps provide possible solutions (if you happen to have the same issue(s)). ....just take what you read with a grain of salt instead of hard evidence.

As far as overall reliability is concerned, I would rank Subaru just below Honda and Toyota based on my own personal experience with these brands. That experience also includes other brands like Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford and Mazda. I have personally owned 2 Subarus and both have been relatively trouble free. My wife's 2008 Forester currently has 170,000 miles and other than an a/c compressor that needed to be replaced at ~100k (and an annoying, whistling muffler that I have yet to replace), it's been a tank. I got rid of my 2003 WRX after 8 years simply because I wanted something bigger (and without a manual). That car had about 100k on it and was in good running order when I sold it (which was surprising considering how hard I drove it). .....still looked great too.

Reactions: lereneb
#27 ·
Once again - You all are GREAT! I am so thankful for all of your stories and opinions. I didn't even know what the eyesight was when I went in to the dealership. So I didn't really care one way or another about it. Years ago I started noticing Subarus more. We travel to Asheville NC at least once a year for a weekend and Asheville seems like Subaru mecca! I thought they were odd cars and nothing really stands out about them. Over time I have changed the way I look at them I guess. When the conversation started in the house about getting a new car this is what I secretly wanted to buy. I have NO valid reason for wanting it - other than I just do. We do want to get a small camper and when I put the deposit down I wasn't worried about finding one that would work for us. After reading some info on this forum and researching a little on camper websites..... having that 3k limit and 200 pound hitch limit worries me a little. The car doesn't have a hitch on it but I planned on having one installed. So we shall see. I just thought I would flip out if I picked up the car and did a test drive of it etc then drove off and starting hearing popping noises, having broken windshields, speaker issues, tailgate issues etc! I am so glad I found this forum. You guys rock!

#28 ·
You're going to find that after driving your new Outback for a while, you'll never want to give it up! Especially when you drive it on twisty roads in the rain and snow.
As for towing, it's not rated really high, but it will get the job done if you intend on pulling something like a popup trailer.

Reactions: lereneb
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.