Subaru Outback Forums banner

I went to the DMV today and ..

6K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  colorider 
#1 ·
paid for the registration for the new Outback.
I have to say I took it like a man: (though my hand was shaking as I wrote the check) $670!!!!!
The state of Colorado has always used a algorithm based upon weight, size and some hypothetical MSRP that no one can explain, but it usually comes to about 2-2.5% of the purchase price (NOT the bottom line after trade-in).
Worse yet this is on anything that requires a plate: including trailers!
No I haven't been living in a cave, but it is the first time I've had a new vehicle in long time.
This is the last new car I register in this state until they fix the system.
Wonder how the other states can afford to have reasonable fees? Just sayin....

#6 ·
How funny, I'm also in Colorado and I spent the afternoon at the DMV today too. Although I didn't end up paying anything and that's because the dealer didn't fill out the title application properly. So now I have to get that fixed and go back. At least though I now have a rough idea of how much I'll be paying.

#8 ·
Wonder how the other states can afford to have reasonable fees? Just sayin....
Washington State used to have similar high registration fees (based on value of the vehicle). Some years ago the public got rid of that and it became a flat $30. Well they are slowing adding stuff back in (especially in Puget Sound area) with various taxes. Still not as bad as it used to be.
Of course they make up for it some by having a top 10 state gasoline tax rate and a high general sales tax rate. At least we don't have a state income tax to go with it... (knock on wood)....

#9 ·
Oh that is coming. They try to get it on the ballot every year they just haven't found the perfect lie to trick the public into it yet. But we WA residents are stupid, it will happen. We will vote in an income tax and keep the sales tax. And we will do it to save the planet or animals or something and none of the money will go to that.

Tabs this year was $197. That $30 tab thing did not last long.

#16 ·
Most of each $1150 (all but $14.00, I bet) is excise tax, which is in lieu of sales tax, and it looks like the first-year registration fee is included in that. See if your excise tax calculates out to 3.25% of the purchase price - mine did - the info is on your registration form. I'd rather pay that than sales tax, which is a much higher rate.

Count your blessings:

paid for the registration for the new Outback.
I have to say I took it like a man: (though my hand was shaking as I wrote the check) $670!!!!!
The state of Colorado has always used a algorithm based upon weight, size and some hypothetical MSRP that no one can explain, but it usually comes to about 2-2.5% of the purchase price (NOT the bottom line after trade-in).
Do you pay sales tax on vehicles in Co?
Yep: 7.3% on the bottom line (OTD price some exceptions but don't remember what ATM)
7.3% + 2.5% = 9.7%. You could be paying three times that $1150! :surprise:

#12 ·
Sales tax on a car purchase in Missouri is roughly 8 1/2%, plus registration & plates (which is not bad). However, they do let you deduct the trade-in, so if you buy a $30K car and get $10K for trade-in, you only pay sales tax on the $20K difference. Still hurts, though.

#18 ·
I don't think it's broken. You really need to look at the bigger picture - as in other taxes/fees (and resources) in other states that may appear to be more reasonable. Our real estate taxes are much better than many other states for example.

Just sayin.......

#19 ·
We pay tax on the car purchase on where you register the car in Illinois. We have state vehicle stickers at 109 per vehicle per year. Of course presently that is tax deductible. We also pay a city sticker which is 30 per vehicle. So wherever you buy the car they still get you!

#20 ·
In Ontario, the tax (federal plus provincial) is 13% of the net of trade-in price (~$5,000+ on a well-dressed OB) plus $100 fuel tax on A/C plus $25 tire disposal tax ($5 per) plus $100 annual licence fee. For all that, we get free Medicare and roads with pot holes. ?

#21 ·
Colorado taxes are based upon county. I live in Clear Creek county and my tax at the dealer is 6.5%, then we have to pay another tag fee, or use tax, of about 670 at the DMV, every year. It does go down as the vehicle ages. I think that's what the OP is talking about. We have a system, here, that penalizes people for driving high efficiency, new cars that cause few of the collisions on the road while rewarding all of those gas hog/ smog spewing beater owners who frequently cause huge winter pile ups with their bald tires. It's irksome.

#25 ·
To clarify, the TOTAL tax is also based on what city (if applicable) you live in. STATE, COUNTY and CITY of your residence.

I really don't have a problem with the "system". It's all the price of owning a new car - if that's what you want (and I usually do). Of the 50 or so cars I have owned in my life, all but about a dozen have been new. Almost the same goes for the motorcycles I have owned. Yes, I am a car/motorcycle *****. (;

Also, I'm afraid I can't support your argument that older cars cause more accidents. I think you will find that usually it's the driver that causes the accident - regardless of the newness of the car.

#26 ·
$670 is crazy! I have to renew my registration next month and it is $36. That is what we pay yearly regardless of new, used, or how long you have had the car. Also, if you get a new car the dealer will also sometimes pay your registration if it is due within in the next couple months.

We can also transfer plates from car to car. Some people have new cars with plates that date back to 1999 when they new colors were introduced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.