GPS On Phone / Anyway to Hear it Over OB BT? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lashlee

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i premium Eyesight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GPS On Phone / Anyway to Hear it Over OB BT?

When using GPS on my phone and am connected to the OB BT, not only does the phone no longer speak the directions through the phone speaker, but the OB BT doesn't produce the directions either.

Am I missing something?

This is an android phone if that makes any difference and has been a consistent issue with both an LG G3 and my Samsung Note 4

2014 2.5i Premium Venetian Red with Eyesight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:11 AM

you'll only hear it if you change your audio system to Bluetooth as an audio source... not sure if you did that or not. If you have the GPS on, bluetooth connected to car, but sound source is some other station you wont hear it.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 06:49 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5 Premium
When you pair your phone, there are actually two connections: audio and phone.

If you connect the audio device, it mutes the speaker on the phone and the phone sends all sounds to Bluetooth, including navigation guidance. Unfortunately, if you do not have the infotainment system input set to Bluetooth, all of that audio disappears into space. Set the car source to Bluetooth, and your nav guidance will come from the car, but you won't be able to use AM, FM, or SiriusXM.

You have the option to disconnect the audio device on the Bluetooth setup screen. If you do that, the sound will again come out of the phone and you will still be able to enjoy the phone integration as well as the car radio.

Your only option to have music and nav guidance from the car speakers at the same time is to use the phone as your music source.

I have a Galaxy S5 and LG G4. Not sure if Apple behaves the same...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:12 PM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium, Eyesight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickman View Post
, but you won't be able to use AM, FM, or SiriusXM..
You can run the SiriusXM app on your phone then it's up to the phone to decide what you hear on the car speakers, the nav instructions or the Sirius channel.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Car: 15' Limited OB 2.5i
I had an interesting experience with this with my iPhone 6 plus. While listening to XM or a CD and my phone linked via bluetooth for both audio and voice when the nav directions would be read back from say an app like Waze navigation it would show incoming call from my phone number on the screen and read the nav directions and then disconnect the call from my phone number and the XM music would resume. This only happens when I listen to audio sources local to the car audio system and my phone is still linked. If I listen to the audio through my phone such as Spotify or iTunes music, the nav directions come through just fine via bluetooth. This would never happen when connected via the cable. The logic makes sense but just curious if anyone else experienced this? Sounds like the operation is different for Android based platforms.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 PM

Car: 2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
My Accord works that way with a 6 plus, but I haven't needed to try it on the Scooby since it has the built in nav.
Cav8emptor likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 12:36 AM

Car: 2015 Legacy Premium, Eyesight
Quote:
Originally Posted by humblesubiguy View Post
I had an interesting experience with this with my iPhone 6 plus. While listening to XM or a CD and my phone linked via bluetooth for both audio and voice when the nav directions would be read back from say an app like Waze navigation it would show incoming call from my phone number on the screen and read the nav directions and then disconnect the call from my phone number and the XM music would resume. This only happens when I listen to audio sources local to the car audio system and my phone is still linked. If I listen to the audio through my phone such as Spotify or iTunes music, the nav directions come through just fine via bluetooth. This would never happen when connected via the cable. The logic makes sense but just curious if anyone else experienced this? Sounds like the operation is different for Android based platforms.
Yes I've seen the same thing if I have the iPhone mapping on and the phone connected via Bluetooth. I don't think it actually makes a call (you can check you phone records to confirm) but the phone's number shows up as the source.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i premium Eyesight
GPS on Phone and No Audio in the OB

Interesting. I was sure I had it set up this wet yet I received no audio.....and all the phone ever wants to do is run Milk to play music...which I have never done.

I will spend some time with it this evening and set it up again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 04:36 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited Ice Silver Metalic
To hear iOS Nav on the speakers I found I had to 1) have my iPhone paired with Bluetooth (my wife's iPhone is also paired so I had to make sure my iPhone was selected as the source) and 2) I had to select Bluetooth Audio on the Limited Starlink system.

It also works if you plug your iPhone into the USB port but that is more of a hassle for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: