Subaru Outback Forums banner

Eyesight vs carwash

23K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  KentuckyOutback 
#1 ·
The book says to cover the eyesight lenses with a piece of paper taped to the sides. Now why didn't they supply us with a cover to go through the car wash?
Everyone goes there, no? Or is it really a non issue? We haven't had it through the wash yet, it's only a couple weeks old.

#2 ·
The book says to cover the eyesight lenses with a piece of paper taped to the sides. Now why didn't they supply us with a cover to go through the car wash?
If you read the manual carefully, that applies only when you're going to clean the inside of the windshield. The reason is to prevent cleaning agents from getting on the EyeSight camera lenses.

I agree it would be nice if Subaru would provide custom lens covers.

#3 ·
I can sum it up in one word, Liability...
They have to cover ALL bases, just in case someone does something really odd, and causes an accident.
I've read on here that someone had their breaks lock up in a car wash. I find it very hard to believe because Eyesight is disabled under 7mph. Last I checked, the car wash pulls the car through at around 2mph. I wouldn't risk damaging the front lens covers of the Eyesight system. Instead, make sure the car wash attendants are made aware your car has Eyesight and show them the button that disables the system. That way it's off and can't do anything during the wash...

#5 ·
I've read on here that someone had their breaks lock up in a car wash.
I find it very hard to believe because Eyesight is disabled under 7mph.
No, Eyesight IS NOT disabled under 7 mph -- no matter how many times
that ridiculous lie is repeated. It's just one more example of the triumph
of ideologically-inspired invincible ignorance over truth. The simple FACT,
spelled out in plain English on pg 28-29 of the manual, is that EyeSight's
auto-braking collision avoidance system is fully operational at all speeds
from 1 mph to 100 mph -- independent of whether ACC enabled.

If you don't own an EyeSight Manual, maybe this will help. (video)

"A lie can travel half way around the world
while the truth is putting on its shoes."

-- Mark Twain

#6 ·
Why stress so much over something that can be solved by simply switching off the eyesight related functions when using an automatic carwash?

#7 ·
@Looby
Chill!!! Did you not read what I said? They cover all their bases and limit their liability by telling us that it's going to kill us, LOL!
I also finished with, make sure you tell them and show them where the shutoff switch is.
And yes, I do have an Eyesight manual, as well as infotainment, Owners, remote start, keyless entry, etc, etc, etc...
I swear, the manual package adds 100lbs to the GVW.

#8 ·
@Looby
Chill!!! Did you not read what I said?
Obviously, I did read what you said, and the part about EyeSight
being "disabled under 7 mph" is an infuriating rebroadcast of that
ridiculous lie -- created and obstinately repeated countless times
by some guy with incurable reading comprehension issues.

If you'll stop telling lies about EyeSight, I'll stop telling the truth about it.
- apologies to Adlai Stevenson

#12 ·
Somebody should just measure the Eyesite camera covers (smaller on Gen5 then on Gen4) and have some factory in China whip up 10,000 and sell on Ebay. Would make a killing.

To confirm what has already been said: you DISABLE Eyesite when going through automatic car washes by switch. When *cleaning* the inside windshield, you must be careful not to overspray and hit the lenses on the Eyesite system. My friend just keeps a roll of blue painter's tape and covers over the lenses when he goes to the full service car wash. I've ignored this more than once and never had a problem.

YMMV (in more ways than one!)

Andy

#15 ·
I actually haven't looked at the eyesight cameras closely yet. I think I may come up with an easy way for the wife to cover them from the cleaning monkeys. I've seen those auto lens covers, now that would be easy enough from the factory when you turn the eyesight off.

#18 ·
Hah..... the EyeSight doesn't work under 7 mph thing is funny. Every time I park in my garage I get a warning beep when I get close to the approaching front wall......and believe me I am not going 7mph.

#22 ·
I made up two small clear plastic covers that I velcro over(without touching the lenses of course) the cameras. Took all of 10 minutes to make and when I go to the carwash, I put those on and I'm good to go. I live in New York City so I don't really have the space or access to water to hand wash my car.

#25 ·
carwash and eyesight

I don't think the real issue is with having it on or off. It's more about having the lenses sprayed with window cleaner. I don't use windex on my glasses and I surely dont use it on my camera lenses. That stuff ruins any coatings on the lens. Subaru does not want the lens sprayed also because the act of wiping spray off could misalign the lenses.

#30 ·
I've used sandwich baggies to cover my eyesight cameras. Taped them with blue painters tape. Kind of a PIA, but it works.
@Bobbabe: Do you have a picture or a more detailed description of your eyesight covers with velcro? Sounds interesting.
Hope these files aren't too large. The plastic I used was just a piece cut from a paper sheet protector because that's what I had on hand at the time. A square of velcro on each side of each camera housing and a corresponding piece on the plastic. The orange tape edge was just so it would be easy to find in the car and harder to forget that it was mounted. Improvements can always be made but for the time being, it seems to work.

Attachments

#32 ·
Interesting reading here...have taken my car through the fancy car wash a couple of times...the time I was right behind another car is the only time I've encountered a problem with eyesight complaining there was something in front of me. It doesn't seem to be bothered by the equipment.

Suggestion to Subaru - another button that turns everything off that needs to be off when going through an automatic carwash. "Carwash mode"...

#34 ·
My OB has been through a couple of fancy car washes, and I didn't have any issues with the Eyesight at all.

#35 ·
:RTFM:

Page 26 of the 2017 Eyesight Manual ...

In the following situations, turn off the Pre-Collision Braking System. Otherwise
the Pre-Collision Braking System may activate unexpectedly.
- When the vehicle is being towed
- When loading the vehicle onto a carrier
- When a chassis dynamometer, free-rollers or similar equipment is used
- When a mechanic lifts up the vehicle, starts the engine and spins the
wheels freely
- When passing hanging banners, flags or branches, or when thick/tall
vegetation is contacting the vehicle
- When using a drive-through car wash

Just because you haven't so far doesn't mean you won't. Why is it so difficult for people to follow simple instructions from the people who make the darn product?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.