Subaru Outback Forums banner

iPhone 6 users and infotainment system with navi

14K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  eded1122 
#1 ·
I am about to get a 2016 outback and was curious what features on the infotainment can you not use with your iPhone 6. my first question is can you download all your contacts via bluetooth onto the infotainment system or do you have to add each one individually the website you can only do individual contacts not all the phone book contacts. usb vs bluetooth. I have read that you loose playlists with bluetooth so it might be beneficial to just do usb cord and it will charge. Also, if you plug in phone via usb cord do you disable the bluetooth audio how does that work. thanks for the info.

#2 ·
I set up my iPhone with my 2015 OB while in the dealer's lot. The process was easy and it quickly imported all of my contacts from the iPhone. While setting it up, I used Bluetooth to connect.

During the past 4 months of owning my OB, I usually connect my iPhone via Bluetooth. But I have it plugged into the power adapter I have in the 12V port on my center console. This way, I can keep my iPhone fully charged while listening to my music and/or using an iPhone Nav app. While on Bluetooth, I still have access to all of my iPhone playlists.

However, Mirrorlink does not work for me so the iPhone screen is not reflected on the Subaru Infotainment screen. Thus I continue to use the iPhone screen. The Starlink and Infotainment system in your 2016 OB is reportedly better than on the 2015. If so, you may use Starlink far more than I have. Frankly, Starlink has been next to useless for me.

Hope this info helps. Enjoy your 2016 OB.

#5 ·
The Starlink and Infotainment system in your 2016 OB is reportedly better than on the 2015.
The Starlink system on the 2016 is supposed to be all new, so hopefully Y'all will get the actual working version of Starlink.
Where are you guys getting this? From what I've seen, the head unit and interface will be the exact same on the 2016s as they were on the 2015s. The only addition will be connectivity things such as an OnStar-like emergency service and some app commands. I've seen no indication that any of the audio or infotainment software will change

#4 ·
My 21015 Bluetooth with iPhone 6 works awesome! USB and Starlink stinks! I too use the cigarette plug with a USB charge port. That way I can charge my phone and stay far away from the Starlink system. The Starlink system on the 2016 is supposed to be all new, so hopefully Y'all will get the actual working version of Starlink.
I'll never understand these new cars that have a wifi hot spot. Who needs the internet in their car that bad? Oh well. Just be weary of the hackers...

#6 ·
@gettinlm
The infotainment will most likely stay the same, as well as the SAT/NAV. The big difference is in the Starlink system. It'll actually be what it should have been from the start. I think Subaru should have kept it back until now, when they could roll it out as an actual system, not just a fancy start screen.
From what I wrote and read, nobody said anything about the infotainment system, just the Starlink system...

#9 ·
Using iPhone 6

I've been using my iPhone 6 (OS 8.4) connected through one of the front USB ports. Tried wireless a bunch of times and found it less flexible. Starlink apps are even more cumbersome--love to hear if anyone is having success with any of the apps.

I use iTunes and TuneIn. I can clumsily navigate iTunes on the head; for TuneIn, I have to go to the phone--either with car stopped or phone handed off to passenger....

Overall, I've figured our a way to make it work for me. I'd way prefer the iPhone screen on the head, but I don't expect that will happen.

#10 ·
I've been using my iPhone 6 (OS 8.4) connected through one of the front USB ports. Tried wireless a bunch of times and found it less flexible. Starlink apps are even more cumbersome--love to hear if anyone is having success with any of the apps.

I use iTunes and TuneIn. I can clumsily navigate iTunes on the head; for TuneIn, I have to go to the phone--either with car stopped or phone handed off to passenger....

Overall, I've figured our a way to make it work for me. I'd way prefer the iPhone screen on the head, but I don't expect that will happen.
The mirror function won't work on iPhones. It's not Subaru's fault, but Apples. Because they're selling their Carplay app, and most auto manufacturers aren't paying the ransom, I doubt we'll ever see the iPhone mirrored on a Subaru. It'll be cool if Apple ever gets their heads out of their butts, but I doubt it. After all, it's Apple...
It's odd, my iPhone6 works great with Bluetooth. Have you tried disconnecting it and re-pairing it?

#11 ·
Three reasons for my using the USB connection over BT

Aside from a few minor bugs with each implementation, I'm using the USB connection for my iPhone 6 for three reasons:

First, I can't get access to playlists when I use BT audio.

Second, the USB connection sounds better--it's louder and seems fuller--could be BT compression?

Third, I'm usually charging my phone anyway, and I use the USB port for that.

#14 ·
Radio cache and other entertainment esoterics

Deep in a menu for settings, I noticed a check box for radio cache. Has anyone had experience with this? I think you can store radio, but what's the use case for this? Seems like a distraction.

Also, I noticed that with my iPhone, I seem to be downloading "Internet Radio" stations onto my entertainment head. I do not know why, nor do I know how to delete them.

I don't use iTunes radio; I occasionally use TuneIn, but what's stored seems to be sessions that I hadn't listened to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.