Subaru Outback Forums banner

p05a1 code?

11K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  grantwilson 
#1 ·
anyone else get this?
cant find what it is with a google search

#2 ·
I don't have a 2015 manual, 2013 one lists P050A (no "1") as cold start idle air control system performance.

What is your idle speed? Should be 700-750 rpm. Does the car stall? Deviating or stalling are the symptoms for this code. And the troubleshoot sequence is 38 steps (I kid you not!).

Honestly, you have a 2015 car, it has a warranty so you don't have to worry about stuff like this. Bring it in and have them deal with their mess.

#4 ·
No other codes? If it is not affecting anything and the CEL is not on, you could put it off until it is convenient. The checklist goes from checking other DTCs, checking oil and oil pressure, checking exhaust, intake, fuel pressure, air flow, MAF sensor, coolant sensor, ECU, injectors, connectors..........

Seems like a PITA! (this is assuming the 1 doesn't mean something else).

#5 ·
So, this is from an older model subaru for that code. Can't promise it's the same for our Outbacks:

For an engine to run properly, there needs to be a very specific air:fuel ratio of 14.7:1. To accomplish this the ECM (Engine control module) relies on the the Heated Oxygen sensors (HO2S). The HO2S detect oxygen content in the exhaust.

This information is then relayed to the ECM. The ECM uses this information to adjust the fuel delivered to the engine. A Heated Oxygen sensor contains a circuit dedicated to operating a heater that warms up the Oxygen sensor faster than the exhaust gasses could. This shortens the time the engine needs to achieve closed loop, which decreases emissions. On some vehicles the O2 sensor heater is fed a 12V fused supply voltage and a computer controlled ground. The 12V supply voltage is supplied to the heater anytime the key is in the on position. The computer activates the heater under certain circumstances by completing the ground to the oxygen sensor heater. On other vehicles the O2 sensor heater may be supplied a computer controlled 12 volts feed and continuous ground. If the ECM detects a fault on thset.e Bank 1, sensor 1 heater circuit a CEL may set.

#6 ·
O2 sensors have apparently been an issue on the 15s from what the dealer in my home town told me. It’s the only code that comes up, and ironically only comes up with the car comes to operating temperature indicating it could be an O2 sensor that isnt within voltage specs at temp.

#11 ·
To hazard a guess: That particular code in the Ford Focus appears to relate to "minimum/maximum stop performance". Unconstrained by the shutters, perhaps the control module is detecting excessive range of motion. It expects the shutters to stop it before it reaches its internal limits?

#14 ·
confident? Nah. But its easy enough to throw it in to see. I cant find a subaru designation for the code. Only a ford related as the previous individual did as well. I removed the motor from the shutters and its connected along with the ambient air sensor that is on the passenger side of the assembly. when i get home tonight i have to do some measurements for the 4.5 inch lift, so ill throw it in when i do that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.