Subaru Outback Forums banner

Problem: Random Beeping Sound while Driving

186K views 74 replies 44 participants last post by  DAWELDON 
#1 ·
I'm having a problem that isn't consistent. Sometimes when I drive, the car randomly gives off a beep, but I can't figure what it is coming from. On a short trip, it can beep like 4 times in like 15 minutes. Then other times, it just beeps randomly. There are no lights that are on indicating an error. Does anyone have an idea what this could be before I take it to the dealer?

#3 ·
Your NAV has a number of things that can cause it to beep. I thought I was having random beeps. Was driving me nuts. Turns out I hadn't turned off the warning for "curves." Every time an attractive young lady was walking by... No, that wasn't it, but driving in the country it would beep whenever I was approaching a curve in the road. But not always. Sometimes it would partially mute the radio, other times not. Anyway, there is a list of things it will beep for. One check box will turn them all off or you can turn them off individually. Unfortunately, I don't remember how to find it. It is in some settings on your NAV. If you wait long enough, someone will quote you the page in the manual.:wink2:

#4 ·
Were you using Adaptive Cruise Control? With Eyesight and ACC it will beep each time it acquires, or loses, a lead car. Made me crazy the first time I used it. The beep can be turned off in configurations, I believe.

Reactions: Rogier
#5 ·
I had the same issue with random beeps. I went to NAV setting and turned off each and every alert I did not want. In fact, I think I turned off almost all of them. Some alerts were absurd. IIRC these included alerts such as approaching curve, slow traffic ahead, etc. But on California freeways, those two situations are near constant. Thus I turned off as many alerts as possible. Now I drive in relative peace and quiet without all those annoying beeps.

#8 ·
That's very helpful. I'm in Denver and just bought a new Outback with eyesight...we were driving down 6 from the mountains into Golden (the canyon route) and we got these "random" beeps. Couldn't figure out what it was - nothing on the display, nothing out of the ordinary going on... driving us crazy. The Sirius radio explanation makes sense.

Thanks.

#9 ·
we also have strange noise occur that sounds like a guitar string being plucked. It can happen at all speeds (low to 70's); going straight, turning right or left. turned off all eyesight/navigation aids; turned off the radio and it still occurs. took it to our dealer and on their test ride, they heard it and told us they "went in through the radio and turned off all alerts". we still hear it and it is getting frustrating. It might not happen for 15 or 30 minutes, then it might happen within a minute of the previous noise.

I guess I'll try and go through nav and see what alerts are still on and see if it helps.

#10 ·
As to the OP, could it be the 37° icy road warning? Orange snowflake indicator in center info display? There is a quick text warning displayed, too.

#16 ·
Check your washer fluid level. If it's near the low warning point, I've found the car will sound a quick tone randomly as I drive, particularly when I'm on a steep hill, taking a tight turn or accelerating. The low washer fluid warning will come on briefly (sounding a tone), and the warning will also show in the cluster display, but only briefly. It's easy to miss, leaving you wondering what's causing the tone.

#15 ·
Another potential source of the beeps could be coming from your cellphone when it links to the car. Each time i have an incoming text or email message it beeps through the cars audio. Didn't know what it was until I finally figured it out.

#17 ·
One other thing to check- in the navigation system, you might be getting a School warning. Might be set to nitfy when in a school zone. ive had that happen here in NYC often. I atualy keep it on, as I once got a ticket because i was a but over the school sone speed limit which is lower than 25mph.

#18 ·
This is the beepiest car I have ever owned. I had the dealer turn off everything he could before I drove off the lot.

Why does it beep three times when the car starts? When I open the door to get out (I always think there is a light on somewhere)? When the rear hatch opens? When the beeperator is operational? When I feel lonely? If anyone finds a fuse to pull for the **** beeps please let me know...

Cheers, nf

P.S. Even the word D.a.m.n gets BEEPED out!

#19 ·
I have been experiencing the same kind of random beep, similar to the sound of an elevator reaching its desired floor, the stereo mutes for a moment before the beep comes through the speakers. Seemingly random but oh so annoying. I hope I have found the source and wanted to share in hopes it would solve the mystery for someone else as well.
The alert seems to be deep in the nav menu.

Select:
home
map
menu
+more
settings (pic of wrench)
sounds & warnings
scroll down to 7th selection titled "warning sign alerts" uncheck box (checkmark and screen color will change from blue to gray)

Ahhhh, so peaceful now!

Your selection might differ slighty, I am driving a 2016 Outback with Nav and Eyesight.

Hope that helps someone.

#28 ·
Annie Rose. I knew I caused the donk sound myself by turning on all sorts of things after the first peaceful week of ownership. I talked to the young employees at Subaru dealership about this problem. They had no clue but promised to find out how to stop it. Nothing from them and its been weeks. I followed your instructions and the annoying random beep stopped right away. I wish to express my thanks and gratitude. You have made the driving experience normal again.

#20 ·
I've had my new 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with Eyesight (first time buyer) for about a month and have also had this problem. Based on the feedback on this thread, I've determined the following:

I don't have NAV.
It happens when there is nothing on the passenger seat.
It's not an icy conditions warning (still summer for the meantime here)
It does not appear to be related to Eyesight/ACC (different kind of beep - like the guitar string noted above) and happens whether I have lane assist/ACC on or not
I don't think it is Sirius - I don't use Sirius, Pandora, or aha.
My washer fluid is full.
I don't *think* it is when I get an email or text - I've checked right after hearing it and don't see any incoming messages either way.
I can't see any visible warning lights when it happens.

It seems to happen completely randomly. I'll go days without hearing it and then it will happen several times in one trip. It can be when I'm cruising at highway speeds or on the back roads going forty miles an hour.

Anyone else find a reason/answer for this?

#62 ·
I've had my new 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with Eyesight (first time buyer) for about a month and have also had this problem. Based on the feedback on this thread, I've determined the following:

I don't have NAV.
It happens when there is nothing on the passenger seat.
It's not an icy conditions warning (still summer for the meantime here)
It does not appear to be related to Eyesight/ACC (different kind of beep - like the guitar string noted above) and happens whether I have lane assist/ACC on or not
I don't think it is Sirius - I don't use Sirius, Pandora, or aha.
My washer fluid is full.
I don't think it is when I get an email or text - I've checked right after hearing it and don't see any incoming messages either way.
I can't see any visible warning lights when it happens.

It seems to happen completely randomly. I'll go days without hearing it and then it will happen several times in one trip. It can be when I'm cruising at highway speeds or on the back roads going forty miles an hour.

Anyone else find a reason/answer for this?
I also have a 2017 Outback and I notice that my random beeping sound happens in the same geographical locations most of the time. I feel like it might be tied to the bluetooth phone and beeps when I go by a cell tower. Not sure if my assumption is correct or not and haven't found a way to get rid of it. Also, within the last week it has gotten louder, which seems odd as nothing was adjusted anywhere that I know about. If I get this figured out I will post again. I will also check out all the suggestions for Nav system which I do have.

#25 ·
I have Nav on mine so mine beeps are speed limit mainly. I feel your beeps can be the yellow/white line are washed out and it letting you know you need to track your vehicle yourself.
If youmove to close to the marking lines, again telling you( not sure you looked fast enough to see a warning) to be alert.
The bottom line a beep is just an alerts and really not anything to be over concern. Maybe another enthusiasts can meet up with you to give you a little assistance.
Please take a few moments to fill out your Profile information and mainly
:welcome2: to the Forum and be safe.
We are part of the Family that makes Subaru a Subaru.

#27 ·
No, I haven't gotten that one yet...haven't had it running continuously for two hours.

This morning while driving I put a paper bag against the windshield blocking one of the eyesight cameras on the rearview mirror. I was able to reproduce the sound, but it also turned off my eyesight. So I am assuming per Yoda_One's suggestion that the tone has something to do with the Eyesight system losing tracking briefly, but maybe not long enough or completely enough to trigger the full Eyesight warning/shutdown.

Thanks for the help. At least it won't be driving me crazy not knowing what it is telling me.

#29 ·
I get random beeps backing out of the garage. Sometimes none. No idea why? Mine is a 2017 OB.

#36 ·
On recent trip down through France I experienced an occasional "bong" - certainly a much lower frequency than the "beeps" that eyesight produces. Still have no idea what they meant. There were no accompanying visual indications that I was aware of.
I too experience the seemingly random, single "ding" when driving. To me, it sounds just like the sound you hear on the airplane just before they announce something.

*DING* In preparation for landing, please return the stewardess to her original, upright position.

#39 ·
Mine makes random dings too. I have no clue. I went in to the Nav. system, and made sure everything was OFF.

#43 ·
From what I've read on here and heard at my dealer, I'm thinking a Satellite signal for some unknown function. I live in very north metro Atlanta and I get it constantly and to the point I can pinpoint exactly where it will beep on a certain street passing a certain fire plug (for example). I'm used to it and becomes more amusing anticipating it rather hand fretting over it. Car is 2015 O/B 2.5 Limited.

#44 ·
I thought the nav satellite only told the unit it location and time and altitude with everything else built into the map, poi, speed limits and routing logic.

If yours goes of at the same spot I imagine it is road warning, built into map, that has not been disabled yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk