Subaru Outback Forums banner

No backup sound when car is in reverse?

66K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  cdbma 
#1 ·
Is it just me, or do the 2016's, Limited with Eyesight, not have any backup warning beeps when the car is in reverse and back up camera is on.

#10 ·
There is no back-up sensor to detect distance for backing, but have rear crossing traffic warning system that give warning beep if there are any approaching object while backing. Don't expect any beep when you are parking and/or approaching to the stalled or not-moving objects.

#12 ·
Thanks guys for the information.

I'm coming out of a 2014 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD, which would sense any obstacles behind me. I'm still adjusting to the features of the OB. this morning I almost backed in to a wall, waiting for the warning beeps to well...beep... that I was getting too close to it. I stopped within inches of hitting the wall.

I tried all the manuals and user guides the OB came with, and couldn't find any information about back up warnings when approaching an object. I thought this might be the best place to ask, not sure if my OB was missing the feature. I thought I ordered all the bells and whistles (I have a 2.5i Limited with looks to be package #23) but I don't see any reference to Rear Cross Traffic Alert. I see Rear Cross Traffic Alert listed in the Premium with packages 14 and 15. So I have no idea if I have this feature or not on my car.

#14 ·
I had that type of backup sensor on the Transit Connect I traded for my Outback. I hated it! I knew it was going to be a problem on the test drive.

I drove it (with salesman as passenger) home to show my wife. When I went to back out of the driveway 50 feet from the street or anything behind it, it started beeping continuously until I was out in the street and going forward. Salesman had no explanation as to why it was doing that.

Finally when we got back to the dealership I figured out what had happened. The salesman had hung the dealer tag from the back door so that it was blocking one of the sensors. Anything that was in range or blocking one of the sensors would set it off so it started screaming as soon as you put it in reverse. Such as mud, snow, some 2x4's hanging out the back, etc.

I ended up pulling the fuse on it!

#15 ·
I hope you don't mean a "beep-beep" to warn others you are backing up. This would be like a big UPS truck or a Bobcat in reverse. If that is what you meant -- "thanks-but no-thanks" --save that for delivery trucks and construction equipment. If you meant the rear collision warning, this system is great--we have it on our 15.

#19 ·
oooh let me help. Roll the window down and do this. Beep - Beep Beeep when you back up. LOL kidding!!!! I know of no standard car today sold with a back up warning sound. I do know that commercial vans and such often have them installed as a insurance safety item by the company that owns the vehicle.

What you do get in modern cars which was mandated by the US Government is a back up camera, sadly the screen is not mounted in the correct location ie in the review mirror but thats a whole other can of worms apparently its not officially approved of by the US GOV to have the back up camera view appear in the review mirror. Its part of that list of stuff Auto makers are lobbying for like LED primary lighting and other stuff that we would like but can't get yet.

#20 ·
Wow, what a way to make someone feel welcome...

Anyway, my mom is way into the backup alarm and has had them installed on the last 3 of her cars. I don't think it costs much if you really want one.

The issue I have with my mom's is that we usually bring her on vacation with us and try take really early flights to maximize vacation time and when we shuffle cars at 3:30 AM everyone in the neighborhood can hear the beep beep of her backup alarm.

#25 ·
Sorry, I should have clarified, it's not beeping like a truck in reverse, it's internal beeping to alert you.

I was trying to find a youtube video of what I mean, and found this: https://youtu.be/u09pwCGgdYg?t=1207 it looks like the same radio manufacturer that makes Toyota nav/infotainment also makes it for Subaru, which would explain the 255 song limit per folder on the USB.

But this is what I was referring to, which I thought Subarus had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx9t1LFhFcU

#31 ·
I am so thankful the OB only beeps to warn instead of just when backing up! My friend drove an ambulance and was driven to sheer bugginess by the stupid backup beeping. When I said I had technology that helps me when in reverse, the first thing she said was "I can't stand the beeping!" and I corrected her that my car does NOT beep when backing up.

#33 ·
2016 back-up collision warning thru rear camera does not alert when approaching something in reverse. It was working when new but not since 5yr old pushed every button possible. There must be a way to reset audio warning - Owners manual is of no help. Help please.

#36 ·
There is a way to ......

...described in the manual to reset settings, but darned if I remember where that is. For me to remember where it is I would have
actually peruse my owners manual.. Not going to happen especially tonight --sorry.
I bet ammcinnis could tell you --he's real good with things like this. I also bet if you call your dealer they could help you with a general reset of everything? Maybe?
As others have said on the 15's and 16's the sensors only pick up things moving to the left and right rear sides of your car-- and that "thing" HAS TO BE MOVING!!! It will not warn you of stationary (not moving) objects. :smile2:

#34 ·
If it a sign, pole even a wall and you are backing up it does not give you any indication until you back into it. Too late you have been incensed. (Ray Stevens) If will give you a warning when an object is MOVING across it range of sensing.

#35 ·
I can't remember what car had it I think it was my old ford wind star or highlander that would beep faster as you got closer to object backing up . I like the outback grid system better green keep going back /yellow close and red your going to hit, as far as a backing alert I hate to say it but if it saves me backing into someone it's worth it .i know look before backing but sometime thing happen. Lets face it how much driving do we do in reverse ?and how many back into your parking spot? It one of the best way to eliminate backing incidence . Always back first. I was just reading through this post and really can't believe how obnoxious some folk are . I think we all know the answers are in the hundreds of pages of manuals they hand you but what wrong with a yes/ no answer and not cant you read . That's just me but really no reason to be rude and thats really is what it is. Doug

#38 ·
Getting a warning with a moving object makes sense. Otherwise the system would need some type of object recognition algorithm to know when to warn that a stationary object is a threat. The backup camera transfers that chore to the driver. With that said, for me, the jury is still out on the backup camera vs an audible warning when an object is close. I have the later on another vehicle and prefer it slightly better over the camera. Seems like I recently read the 2017 OB will have that feature in addition to the camera

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.