Subaru Outback Forums banner

How to protect bumper paint edge?

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Ray Ward 
#1 ·
We experienced paint peeling in our 2015 OB. It was under warranty and Suburu authorized to cover it.

The problem area was at the rear bumper edge paint near the wheel arch. It turns out that the bumper is one whole piece and the paint ends at the paint line. In our case it was probably an anomaly.

What are some ways to minimize guard from that happening again? Any past experience with a similar issue?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My dealer repainted mine and it looked like crap. I made enough fuss that the just removed a matching bumper cover from one of their loaners. Maybe a clearcoat on the seam will keep it from happening again. I saw it peeling on my front bumper also but it was covered when I installed the wheel flares.

#4 ·
Maybe a clearcoat on the seam will keep it from happening again.
The service person said they add an additive to make the paint flex with the bumper. Making it hard might make it crack along the edge.

So I think it acts like a sticker and is why it can peel.

For right now, I am not touching it whatsoever.

#9 ·
Your so close I can't tell where it is. It looks like it was pained with some black paint or some kind of under coat. Where it's peeling looks like the surface wasn't keyed properly before painting. After they repaired the area, it should also be clear coated, to protect the area.

#11 ·
Looks like the bumper wasn't properly prepped in that area. The paint should bond to a properly-prepped surface. It could also be that they didn't remove the tape at the right time, causing the tape to peel off the cured paint. I had to have the bumper on my 2011 replaced after I was rear-ended, the independent body shop needed 2 tries to get the tape line correct (and another 9 visits to get the rest properly repaired and rust free)

#13 ·
So here was my project to protect my car from NYC drivers, shopping carts, and my wife's Whoopsies... The front bra will be done next. I did 5 coats of clear coat plasti dip and 3 coats glossifier which gave it a somewhat pearly/cloudy look. Add liquid wax and you are all set. :)

Attachments

#19 ·
While under warranty, our dealer submitted to Subaru and they approved the fix.

In my case, our dealer sent it to a local body shop and the fixed it and then with one car wash (a month or so later), the paint peeled again in the same place. They (the dealer and body) fixed it again.

So far with a car wash, that section they repainted was okay. But another portion is starting to peel, but very faint though. However I am out of warranty now.

I am not sure who to contact. Should I contact subaru directly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.