Subaru Outback Forums banner

Security Battery Cutout- Problems?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  skipw 
#1 ·
I am considering installing a security battery dis-connect to add a bit of security for an upcoming Mexico drive.
What are the list of problems this will create on my OB Premium 2015 (no-eyesight/nav). Obviously I will lose clock setting as well as radio stations. Will I also lose my Serius XM stations? Other issues?

#2 ·
Disconnecting the battery resets a lot of things, like the engine monitoring emission controls, transmission learning settings, alarm system among other things. Not show stoppers but I would rather put and interrupt in the starter wire. Don't know if such a thing exists but I would think that would work better. Maybe the same device could be made to work for that.

#4 ·
The ignition switch energizes the starter solenoid....disconnect it at the solenoid and wire it through a (Soob) factory switch in a spot lower left of the steering wheel in an unused spot.
I'm not sure which factory sw is a common single pole switch....but simple, and who would ever think to look for it there (looks factory, right!)
I'll wait for you to figure out which switch is applicable and do the same. (lazy ol' me).

OTH

#5 ·
I got in for my first dealership service and hoped that I'd get information on which factory switch would work for me. They had no information and no switches in stock to look at.
I have a base model with only the VDC switch and the dash lights dimmer switch (which appears to be variable) in the 8 switch bank installed. I have no idea if any of the switches do direct service or they send info to the computer. I would imagine that any common single pole switch (make/break) would serve and any markings or indication of purpose would be irrelevant.
So if anybody has this switch bank exposed or has had to replace any of the switches I'd love to know what you've learned.
No great hurry as the service manager has advised me against going forward until the warranty runs out...I'd be willing to bet that they'd never notice it anyway.
No hurries...no worries. Thanks all!

#12 ·
If you can locate the fuel pump ground it could be interrupted thru a switch. Engine and all electronics would still be powered but engine probably won't run more than a few revolutions without fuel pressure. Another option could be to remove or switch the fuel pump fuse. Shown in my '16 owners manual as #20 underhood panel

#13 ·
Not to belabor (the pt of the thread), but the effectiveness of a ‘deterrent’ is relative to the offender being aware (assuming the cut-off is hidden).
The picture presented here is a year-old 2015 AWD Outback vehicle in Mexico. Why do insurance actuaries include Canada but not Mexico.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.