Subaru Outback Forums banner

Non-functional defrost?

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Danver 
#1 ·
Only had the car two weeks, but something has seemed screwy about this from the get-go...

I can throw on defrost full blast and have ice dripping off the outside windows, making scraping easier. Air is 100% getting fully directed to the front vents, and is functioning in that regard.

The problem is, my windows are so freaking foggy that I can't see anything. This is a non smoking vehicle, no hands have ever touched the windshield since I bought it, and I don't even cough in the direction of the windshield. Tonight it was so bad (20* outside, first extended travel on interstate) that the cruise shut itself off and eyesight was disabled. Windshield was clean on the outside, so I can only assume the fog crept up that far.

I've tried: 1) just pressing the defrost button, as most modern cars only require you to do, 2) pressing AC with defrost on just in case it doesn't function like a modern car, setting air on LO, 65, 80* - same result. Fan at full blast, recycle air NOT on. Have only cleaned 1/3rd of the windshield, passenger side, to see if there was some mystery manufacturing residue on it, but all the glass behaves the same - foggy as $#@!

The rear&mirror defrost button works fine (so yes, I am pressing the right button ;))

Trip to dealer?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah... must be, almost feel foolish for asking but was hoping someone would point out a critical flaw in my operation. I'm thinking maybe the air conditioner isn't functioning, which I'd never know since it's been so cold since I bought the car, or whatever air mixer between fresh/recycle isn't doing its thing. Either way - sucks, I just got out of my last vehicle after an 11 month lemon law battle and the last place I want to be is at the dealership.

#5 ·
Check your coolant level. I had a leaking heater core on the Impreza which severely fogged up the windows until I discovered coolant under the floor mats and had it replaced. This is unlikely but a possibility.

#7 ·
Was this ever resolved?

I've been having the same issues. No matter what I do, I cannot get the side windows to clear on my 2017 Outback. It's a major safety issue and it drives me crazy! The recirculate is set off. I have tried to angle the side vents toward the windows and every possible combination of settings on the climate control. The car is brand new and this is really disturbing. What's the point of all of these advanced safety features if I can't see through the side windows. This is also the first car I've owned where putting the windows up and down doesn't clear them either. I've been using a rag to constantly clean the windows as I drive along. I'm not losing coolant either.

#8 ·
95 % of the time defogg problems are caused by the recirc button either being on or the fresh air door not operating correctly. When you switch the recirc button on and off you should hear a definite change in air noise from the system. Typically the airflow quiets down on fresh air and gets louder in recirc mode.

#9 ·
Pop your hood with the defrost on to see if your AC compressor is cycling. If it isn't cycling, you could be low on refrigerant and your system is shut down by the low pressure sensor and it's not "drying" your interior air. If the AC isn't working you may want to check the relay in the box in the engine compartment. You can check these easily since all 3 relays are interchangeable.

#14 ·
There are other posts regarding foggy windows. I had the same problem on my 2015 Outback. It turned out to be a non-functioning vent door that directs the “outside” air or the “Recirc” air through the blower. The wiring harness on mine was disconnected. Another owner said his wiring was sheared off. Check if you can hear the vent door moving when you push the “Recirc / outside air” button. If you cannot hear anything, then have your dealer check the wiring connection to the vent door actuator which is located behind your glove compartment.
I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.