Subaru Outback Forums banner

it was a dark and stormy night, and EyeSight went offline...

6K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  ammcinnis 
#1 ·
This evening, driving back from the movie theater, I turned onto a new road that was not yet lit and the rain had been coming down for hours as a fine mist. The alsphat was new and shiny and the lines had just been painted. Everything was glistening in the HID head lamps of my 2016 3.6R OB. So EyeSight picked that occasion to go offline as, at the same time, the lane departure alarm and the crash avoidance lights came on in the dash and the ominous EyeSight with a big slash through it showed up in the middle of the dash.

A mile or so later, the new road intersected an existing road onto which I turned and everything went back to normal at the blink of an eye (sight).

It was difficult to see properly on that new road and I guess it was beyond the capabilities of EyeSight. I felt so exposed; no one to scream at me if i drifted off the road and no one to brake in extrimis for me if I was about to crash into a car or a rogue elephant on the road. Somehow I was able to fend for myself for about a mile before everything came back on line.

It was a long mile, on a dark and stormy night.

#2 ·
Wierd

The same sort of thing happened to me tonight -- first time in 8 months -- was not raining hard at all --0 I was going through a round-a-bout -- beeped at me and quit for about a mile or so.
2 possibilities -- maybe sunspots or I had just picked up Chinese take-out (the Japanese car did not like the smell of Chinese food :wink2:
It did quit though --I have no clue as to why-- the windshield was/is clean and the rain was light??:surprise:

#5 ·
The same sort of thing happened to me tonight -- first time in 8 months -- was not raining hard at all --0 I was going through a round-a-bout -- beeped at me and quit for about a mile or so.
2 possibilities -- maybe sunspots or I had just picked up Chinese take-out (the Japanese car did not like the smell of Chinese food :wink2:
It did quit though --I have no clue as to why-- the windshield was/is clean and the rain was light??:surprise:

You too! Damnn!

Class action tomorrow morning, for sure! :whip:

#10 ·
I know, right? How crazy is that?. I'm so used to letting EyeSight brake for me and keeping me in my lane. For that mile, I was just a pack of nerves, hoping, wishing, praying for EyeSight to come back on before something bad happened.

To this day, I don't know how I made it so to my age without EyeSight and Lane Keeping, and airbags, and seat belts, and infant car seats. It's a wonder my generation even survived.

#6 ·
Any dirt/smudges on the windshield? I took mine for a drive at night that a location that had no street lights and was surprised that it still worked without any issues with my regular headlights. As a test, I turned off the headlights, leaving only the daytime running lights and that is when eyesight went offline. Turned the headlights back on and the EyeSight came back online within a few seconds.

#12 ·
@Pegasus Great tongue and cheek keep them coming.
I expect you meant tongue in cheek. Hey, if we can't have fun at our own expense we're liable to turn into clones of 2014Outback.

This is all for fun and camaraderie in driving goofy looking vehicles. Well, my 2016 OB looks a lot better than the prior MYs. I don't know that I could have endured the ridicule and shame driving the prior MYs.

#8 ·
last week my Eyesight went out for about a 1/2 mile or so after leaving the house, it was a foggy post-snow morning. and yet somehow I made it down the familiar road safely!

Reactions: Pegasus
#9 ·
This evening, driving back from the movie theater, I turned onto a new road that was not yet lit and the rain had been coming down for hours as a fine mist. The alsphat was new and shiny and the lines had just been painted. Everything was glistening in the HID head lamps of my 2016 3.6R OB. So EyeSight picked that occasion to go offline as, at the same time, the lane departure alarm and the crash avoidance lights came on in the dash and the ominous EyeSight with a big slash through it showed up in the middle of the dash.

A mile or so later, the new road intersected an existing road onto which I turned and everything went back to normal at the blink of an eye (sight).
I think the same thing happened to Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

But is was aliens or the Government. Not Eyesight...I would hate that sh*t in my car. Looks like I will continue to search out and buy used, older cars...that do what I tell them too...whether I am asleep at the wheel or not.

#14 ·
You don't have to have that sh*t in your car. Just don't order it.

The only used car I ever bought for myself was in the early 1970s. Since that time, I've never had to enjoy the smell and other personal traits other people have left on their cars and mingle them with mine. I never wanted to inherit other people's problems. A used house was bad enough, we've had to fix a lot of stuff. I leave used cars for people who enjoy the discovery process; I always buy new, with the manufacturer's warranty.

#20 ·
@2014outback: Sorry to have disappointed you. I just thought I had to share my story because I was shocked, yes, shocked at what happened and I consider myself lucky to have survived the event. I had cold sweat running down into my perforated ivory leather heated seat. My clammy hands were grasping the leather-wrapped (but non-heated) steering wheel until EyeSight finally came back online.

#21 ·
@2014outback: My clammy hands were grasping the leather-wrapped (but non-heated) steering wheel until EyeSight finally came back online.
Oh, so that's what that wheel thing is for...

It didn't seem to list the exact purpose in the manual so I thought it was like optional or something.

Was thinking of having it removed since it gets in my way when I have to tie a shoe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.