Subaru Outback Forums banner

IPhones Connectivity Problems and Solutions

64K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  RandySea 
#1 ·
IPhones Connectivity Problems and Solutions

#3 · (Edited)
Stopping Bluetooth "autoplay" of music on 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i and iPhone 6

This post summarizes a problem I am having with connecting my iPhone to my brand new Subaru Outback and all the various attempts at solving the problem and the results. Some were trial and error, others stemmed from web research.

Note, that many of the attempted solutions are recommended solutions to resolve problems when you can't get your iPhone to connect correctly. As you'll soon read, my problem isn't about not being able to connect, per se. Feel free to attempt any of these to solve other Bluetooth connectivity problems between an iPhone and your Subaru.

I have an iPhone 6, with iOS recently upgraded from 9.2 to 9.2.1. My problem, described below, exists on both iOS versions.

On 1/18/16, I bought a 2016 Outback 2.5i with essentially, all of the bells and whistles you can buy. I have had no problem pairing my iPhone via Bluetooth to the Subaru Starlink multimedia system. I can make and receive calls and text messages without any problems. I can press and hold the talk switch on my steering wheel to launch Siri without any problem (although I don't like it when Siri tells me a certain command isn't allowed because she's driving!). I can select and play music via hands free or via the controls on my steering wheel and on the multimedia touch display.

So, what's the problem? My phone is too connected to my car!

Every time my phone connects with the car via Bluetooth, such as when I start the car, Apple Music starts playing, even though the Apple Music app is not loaded and I don't want to listen to music at that particular moment. I then pause the music via my car touch screen or on my phone. If that was the only issue, that would just be slightly annoying. Unfortunately, if I get a text, the message appears on my screen, and music on my phone starts again! If I use Siri, music starts up again! Realize, that the music app is shut down, i.e., I killed the app. When I get a phone call, after the call is complete, the music starts playing! Just to make things worse, if I'm listening to the radio, and I use Siri/get a call/receive a text, my Apple Music starts playing!!! I can't get it to stop! :mad:

Here is a typical scenario that happened 3 days ago. I start my car and music begins. I pause the music. I back out of my spot and I get a text and music begins again. I pause the music. Within 1 block, I get a call asking when I'm going to get home. I answer with a quick response and hang up. Music begins playing again. I pause the music. I launch Siri to dictate a reply to the text. When Siri finishes, music starts again. I pause the music. I turn on XM radio to listen to financial news show I like to hear during drive time. I get a text. Apple Music starts playing, not XM radio. All of this happens within 5 minutes of getting into the car. OMG!

I have scoured the internet for answers. What I've learned is that this only happens with iPhones, not with any Androids. Every forum I've checked out makes that statement. I confirmed it using my son's Samsung S4. Here is what I've tried to do to fix the problem without any success.

1. I have unpaired the device, "forgotten" "Subaru BT" from the phone and removed the iPhone from the Subaru, then restarted the phone and the car, then repaired them, and the problem still exists.
2. I have reset network settings on the iPhone and tried it all over again. Problem still exists.
3. I have erased all settings on my iPhone, restarted the car, repaired, etc. Problem still exists.
4. I have turned off Apple Music (settings, Music, show apple music is set to off). My music app starts playing music that is downloaded to my phone.
5. I have changed "call audio routing" in settings, accessibility, from automatic to Bluetooth headset. The problem still exists.
6. I have turned off background app refresh and the problem still exists.
7. I have turned on restrictions and turned off Apple Music Connect (yes, I realize that is about connecting with Artists, not cars), and the problem still exists.
8. I have turned of "handoff" (settings, general, "Handoff & Suggested Apps, Handoff) and the problem still exists.
9. I have turned off "show notifications" and "sync contacts" under the Bluetooth settings for the Subaru BT device and the problem still exists.
10. I have turned on manual "Do not disturb" and the problem still exists.
11. I have turned off iPod auto play via USB in the audio settings of the Subaru, and the problem still exists.
12. I upgraded from 9.2 to 9.2.1, repeated everything above and the problem still exists.
13. I read several posts that claimed I should be happy that my car plays music automatically and they couldn't understand why I would want ever have periods of silence. I pulled all of my hair out.
14. I deleted all music off my phone, turned off Apple Music and iTunes match, and I now have no music. Period! Uggh!!!!

I think there were other things that I tried, but can't remember exactly, but nothing has worked. As you can imagine, I've easily invested over 20 hours on this and I'm very, very frustrated. I have a 65 mile commute each way, 5 days a week. I spend a lot of time in the car. I use Siri to dictate messages and reminders. I take calls. I listen to music on my phone, XM radio, and FM Radio. I also just drive in silence to prepare for the day.

I don't know what to do. I have scoured every manual and every setting on the Subaru and can't find anything. Obviously, Subaru makes great cars, but probably hasn't quite figured out the consumer software arena yet.

Now for an opinion on the nature of the problem.

I believe that similar symptoms happen with other car makes and models and isn't limited to Subaru; however, most of the scenarios I've found mentioned on the internet are with older versions where the Bluetooth implementation was a bit primitive. I have found multiple reports that this issue has existed as far back as iOS 8.x, but I didn't do a thorough search on the full history.

While I think Apple should include a setting to allow verification that auto play should be allowed or not, I'm not sure exactly how that would work. How would the protocol negotiation between the Subaru and the iPhone identify when a valid request for music is coming from the Subaru versus one that just happens without being requested by me, the user?

I think the problem is a Subaru problem. I have phone that has been in the market for 1 year with current software. The Subaru is brand new. I have yet to find an iPhone user who doesn't have this problem with 2015/2016 Subaru; however, I know that people don't go to support forums to claim that they don't have a problem, so I really don't have any facts about whether or not just a few of us have the problem or everyone has the problem.

Next step is to go back to the dealer next week, although I can't imagine how a local Subaru car mechanic is going to fix a software issue with the multimedia system. But I am looking for a nice surprise.

So, do any other iPhone users have this problem or not? Any iPhone users not experience this problem?

Lastly, no need for any Android users to jump in and pontificate about the wonders of Android phones and the shortcomings of iPhones. Not helpful.:wink2:

#4 ·
I have an iPhone 6 on a 2015. I only use Bluetooth because I use a Mophie case which doesn't have pass through USB for the iPhone.

The phone auto synchs when I get in. Subaru shows the Bluetooth connection symbol, the signal strength and notes "Phone Connected". I send and receive calls that go through the head unit car mic and speakers.

At no time does iTunes start playing. I have to open the apps (Music, Aha, Pandora) before they will play.

I wonder if the difference is that the 2016 activates Siri via the buttons on the steering wheel so the connection between the phone and car is slightly different causing iTunes to start playing.

It seems like there should be a setting, either on the phone or on the car that disables "Auto Play".

Is the phone set as the music "Source" when you leave the car and the car is "remembering" the last setting?

#5 ·
Oh yeah, that was something else I tried. I changed the source, then turned off the car. Didn't make a difference.

#7 ·
let me make a correction. When I changed the source, shut down the car, and then restarted, music on my iPhone does not play. However, when I receive or make a call, receive a text which is routed to the Outback, or use Siri, the music on my iPhone plays. From that point on, it doesn't matter whether I turn the radio off, play XM, FM, etc., if the phone is accessed, after the access, the music on my iPhone plays.

#8 ·
I have a 2016 OB and have also had a problem with getting my iPhone to work with the audio system, but it's a little different. The phone connects via Bluetooth just fine. But whenever I select my iPhone as the source it immediately starts playing music instead of providing audio from the open navigation app. If I stop the music I still can't get the navigation audio to play. Only way to get any sound from my phone is to shut off Bluetooth and have the phone speaker provide the audio directions. I suspect the problem is stupid Apple, it's like whenever you plug it into a computer to charge it it automatically wants to launch iTunes (worst program ever).

#10 ·
I suspect the problem is stupid Apple, it's like whenever you plug it into a computer to charge it it automatically wants to launch iTunes.
Or iPhoto. In that case I think the issue was that Apple set the IOS to automatically start iPhoto. You had to go into General and reset the preference for "Automatically Start on connection".

I wonder if it is something similar in this case. I also wonder if it is a difference from the 2015, something that started with the 2016. In that case it could be pinned down to the redo of the car to interface with Siri via the Voice button.

I'd guess it's an Apple config that'a automatically starting the Music.

Does the iPhone start Music when you connect it to your computer?

#11 ·
Regarding your iPhone and the navigation app issue, which app are you using that you're having problems with?

There are a few different settings that may affect where the audio goes.

If you are using the iPhone maps app, when in navigation mode, in the bottom right-hand corner, you will see a sound icon, possibly with a Bluetooth Icon.

When you touch that icon in the bottom right corner, a screen will pop up allowing you to choose how loud the voice is, and the output, i.e.,the phone or Subaru-BT.

If you use Waze, in the settings, sound, you can select whether to play sound to speaker and if you prefer Bluetooth

You may want to doublecheck settings, general, accessibility, call audio routing and select either automatic, Bluetooth headset or phone speaker.

Here is something that you're going to absolutely love! And if you get navigation instructions from the phone, the Subaru treats it as a call, and when the instructions are done, the music is turned on. I was driving home in heavy traffic, and all of a sudden the intro to The doors LA woman came blasting on the speakers. And if you haven't listened to that song in a while, the first five seconds, you should try it. Instant panic that I was about to be part of a crash.

Attachments

Reactions: Dihawk and Yoda_One
#12 ·
I stopped by the Subaru dealer on the way home and they are opening a ticket with Subaru to try to address the issue between the 2016 Subaru and the IPhone. We confirmed that both the technician and the sales person's iPhone have the same problem as I do, and the glitch is not unique to my iPhone. We confirmed it with my iPhone 6, the sales person's iPhone 6s, and the technicians iPhone 6s Plus.

Both of them have a 2015 outback, and confirmed they do not have a problem. The technician was wondering whether or not the new Siri implementation on the Subaru might have something to do with the issue.

I'll keep you informed on the journey. Who has popcorn?

#13 ·
Just thought I'd post to say that I have this exact same problem, and I agree that it's super obnoxious.

2016 OB Premium 2.5i
iPhone 6 iOS 9.2.1

Lucky for me my drives are usually short enough to ignore texts, or long enough that I'm already listening to music on my phone (via BT), so it's not a huge issue, but when I want silence AND want to use my phone, this is a huge pain in the ear.

#17 ·
Yea I noticed since one of the iOS 9 updates that now whenever I hook up the phone to USB it will start up Pandora, whether I have the Pandora app loaded on my phone or not. It always goes to Pandora. Well not always, I guess I've seen Aha once or twice too (which I never use). All I have to do though is go to a different source. The Pandora will however remain a source should I select it again.

I also noticed not too long ago that now if I plug my phone in too soon it sometimes won't play music or anything. It works best if I wait till the head unit comes up a bit before plugging in. Then of course it goes to Pandora but mostly works OK.

Prior to a recent iOS update it never acted like this.

Outback 2015 3.6R Limited using an iPhone 6+ via USB.

#18 ·
Mine's also doing this and I find it to be annoying. Plug phone in, Pandora starts automatically... ok with this. Get a text message, Pandora turns off, Bluetooth audio (with horrible quality) starts immediately. I feel like my OB didn't do this when I had the initial iOS on my 6S+. This seems to have started several updates later.

#19 ·
I agree with the above. It used to work pretty good and has gotten worse as they continue to update iOS.
I have the car set to use USB for audio (don't remember exactly where that is), so I don't see the problem with my phone trying to use bluetooth audio.
I thinks some of this started back about iOS 8 but it keeps getting worse with each update.

Another one that is worse, is that it used to be when you turned off the car and started back up, your music would remember what you were playing and continue. Now at least half the time it doesn't and goes back to all the songs you have on your phone and start playing the same one... Very annoying. Again this is worse in more recent version of iOS (idiot operating system)...

#20 ·
No word from the dealer, however, the tech hypothesis is that it might have something to do with the Siri implementation on 2016 models. I guess this feature was introduced this year.

I have scoured the Apple Forums and found similar, but not identical problems, but alas no answers. I posted my original post on this thread on the forum and no answers yet.

Lately, I get into the car, disable the non-phone Bluetooth features via the Subaru menus and only use hands free phone, not audio. Unfortunately that only lasts for the duration of the connection and restarts itself each time it connects.

I turn off Bluetooth on my phone a lot when I just don't want to deal with it.

#27 ·
99% sure it's an apple software issue. Got my hands on an iPhone 6 running 9.1 and everything works fine... Siri button queues up siri and reverts back to the previous audio source when done, if you tell siri to play a song/artist/album radio switches to bluetooth and it just works. Using Waze (set to bluetooth) and apple maps while listening to the radio, the bluetooth kicks in like a phone call for the voice commands...in short everything just works like you'd expect it to. Maybe they will fix the issues in iOS 9.3 which is in beta now

#30 ·
I have no problems at all.....I turn the phone off when I get behind the wheel...works wonderfully, everyone should try it!!

Will never figure out the need to have a phone permanently attached to my body.

Reactions: chats72
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.