Subaru Outback Forums banner

Where to Service in/around San Francisco??

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ncJim 
#1 ·
For those in San Francisco or the greater Bay Area -- where do you take your Outback for routine service?

We live in SF but bought our car at Carlsen in Redwood City. While I like taking the car to the dealer for peace of mind, Redwood City is not particularly convenient, especially for small, routine sevice jobs like oil changes, tire rotations etc. Also, service as Carlsen seems really expensive to me (~$200 for periodic routine service, including synthetic oil).

Do you take your car to the dealership for this type of service, or rely on local shops?

#2 ·
IMO, $200 for a simple oil and filter change is outrageous. Find a local independent shop, but avoid the "5-minute oil change" places. Anyone can change the oil; a somewhat smaller number will do it right the first time.

#6 ·
IMO, $200 for a simple oil and filter change is outrageous.

I think so too, but in fairness, here in San Francisco, even the 15-minute guys can charge $100 or more for a synthetic oil change. At least Carlsen does a few other things like change an air filter and rotate the tires.

Carlsen is no more expensive than any other dealer. They are running a special right now (or maybe it just expired) on oil changes for the 2.5i for $50; not bad for synthetic. Still, your local indie shop or oil change chain may always be cheaper, and there will be one closer to you.

I'll have to keep an eye out for these specials. The only one I'm aware of right now is $179 for "minor service," which I assume includes the 18k recommended service.

Where have you seen a $50 synthetic oil change? On their website or in their emails?

Thanks all for the feedback.

#3 ·
Up here in Petaluma. I took our '15 2.5i to our dealer in Rohnert Park for the first oil/filter/rotation, but since then have been going to a private garage I trust, Bowens. Very satisfied with Bowens work ethic. Dealer was ok but took longer and more money. I think the dealer gets $100 now.

Bit out of your way though. Good luck in your search. Be careful they use the proper filter, I had asked at an Oil Stop and they would use one with the wrong relief valve pressure, which they were sure was correct. Bowens uses factory filters.

#5 ·
Carlsen is no more expensive than any other dealer. They are running a special right now (or maybe it just expired) on oil changes for the 2.5i for $50; not bad for synthetic. Still, your local indie shop or oil change chain may always be cheaper, and there will be one closer to you.

#7 ·
Odd I posted a detailed response but its not showing.

In SF many of my Subaru specific services were done in Marin given our place was in the Richmond dist. I would drop off and ride my bike home.

My office is about 5 minutes from Carlsen. I have had some services done by them. Marin prices were better and attention to detail was better. No greasy hand prints all over the car etc. Carlsen never had any issues but attention to detail lots of greasy hand prints and they ran more expensive.

Oil changes in the city we used the lube shop on Geary and 19thish... Always did a good job, never had any issues.

These days we use Walnut Creek Subaru they have been very competitive when you ask for specific items. When you say I need the 30k or susch and such mileage service all the dealers will bleed your wallet dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.