Subaru Outback Forums banner

When will 2017 changes be out?

54K views 101 replies 59 participants last post by  08ShadesOfGrey 
#1 ·
I know this is way early, but since the 2016 model has been out about a half of a selling year, I'm curious to know when is the earliest time we can expect to get some information of what's going to be coming down the line in the 2017 Outback? I've read that they cut off the production lines fairly early and start switching over to get products ramped up to ship. Does anybody know when that normally occurs? I'm wanting to place and order but it may very well be worth waiting several more months to see what's going to be in the works for 2017.

#3 ·
I would be shocked if we see much of anything other than a couple of color changes. Obviously we're not going to see any body style changes - we're only finishing up year two. They added the telematics and lane keep assist for '16. The only thing I could see them changing - and I doubt that they will - would be to add an up/down on the power passenger seat.

And as soon as I see what's going to hit the pikes, I'll let y'all know. But other than a $300 price increase, don't expect much. But we've basically done everything we needed. Until they get the new line up and running in Lafayette, it's not like production can keep up with demand anyway. (Which is simply amazing when you think about it...)

#7 ·
Man I'd love it if they added ventilated seats (I know, fat chance) and auto locking doors, and hey, even heated steering wheel. I need another car this year and I'll likely buy a Legacy. Only question is whether the 2017s will bring enough new stuff to make it worth it, or I can just get a fat discount on a 2016 instead.

#11 ·
My son's new Civic EX has a few standard features that would be nice additions for the Outback:

(1) Apple Carplay/Android Auto
(2) Remote start
(3) Blind spot camera
(4) Dynamic lines on backup camera

Civic also has a 1.5L Turbo engine now, something like that (e.g. a 2.0L Turbo) would be a nice addition for Subaru.

Another nice addition would be more flexibility on Exterior/Interior color combinations, e.g. Tungsten with Black interior.

#13 ·
I'd like to see what they are already marketing..

Personally, I wish they would also bring out the best items they have already been marketing in other their Outbacks in other parts of the world, such as rain sensing wipers, auto on/off headlights, headlight washers, and even the stop/start feature to improve mileage. These are already being installed on their Outbacks in other parts of the world, so it would be reasonably easy to include in the American made cars, and also add more value and keep up with the Joneses. This winter a heated steering wheel has really called out to me and with the new Chinese manufactured vehicles of Buick and Volvo featuring heated steering wheels, they probably will have to add that sooner or later, to say competitive, especially for a vehicle that does so well in ice and snow and appeals to people who drive in those climates.

#14 ·
Well, I keep hearing people say that the reason Subaru doesn't offer more of the luxury features is because of the extra cost, but if they were simply offered as options that the customer has to pay extra for, they would quickly see if the customer was willing to pay for such 'improvements'. That would make them more of a customer driven company. I never have liked it when auto manufacturers make 'presumed decisions' for the customer instead of allowing the customer be the one that decides. For example, if they have two interior colors available on SOME Outbacks, why can't a customer get either color on ANY of their exterior colors of Outbacks? Why do some colors allow the customer to pick and choose and other colors only allow one color of interior? That makes no sense and causes the customer needless grief in my opinion. IT's the little things that make a truly outstanding company and it has to start with listening to customer feedback.

#15 ·
Well, you already have over a $10,000 spread on a car that starts at $24,000, I'm not sure how much more squeeze they could get by adding options before people start complaining about how much they have to pay to get a non-stripped-down model.

Also, I agree that the color thing is a little ridiculous. It oughta be like painting your house: what it looks like on the outside has nothing to do with what it looks like on the inside.

#17 ·
I totally concur. Subaru should offer the Eyesight as a standalone option across all trim levels. I did not have a need for the moonroof or the navigation at all. But on the 3.6 Limited model, the Eyesight was bundled with the moonroof and the navigation. Thus I had no choice but to get those two items in addition to the Eyesight.

IIRC, the 2.5 Premium would have allowed me to purchase the Eyesight without including the moonroof and the navigation. Alas, I really wanted the 3.6. Thus I now have the unused moonroof and navigation along with the Eyesight.

#18 ·
That would have been nice. I got the base 3.6R because I didn't want Nav, push start, moonroof, etc.

So since the entire package jacked up the price over my budget, I went with none of it. No biggie but would have been nice as a standalone.

#31 ·
Please note this is for corporate (fleet) orders, and while it may be close, does not reflect what actually happens at the dealership level.

For example, they show Crosstrek Hybrids as done on 02/29/16 - our actual last day was 03/07/16. They show Forester sold orders opening on 06/05/15 - our actual date was 06/18/15. They show Foresters as closed 03/11/16 with starting to order the 2017's 04/04/16, and I can still order 2016's right now and we probably won't be able to start ordering the new ones until mid to late June.

Based upon last year, we're about two months out on sold orders opening for Outbacks for the 17's, not one, with delivery starting sometime in August / September.

#33 ·
I emailed my local Subaru salesperson, asking when he would get 2017 Outback info. (I bought our 2015 from him.) Here's a copy/paste of his response: "We should get the 2017 Outback info about the middle of October."

I'm thinking he will have actual 2017's on the lot before then. Anyone have a thought on this?

#47 ·
Well, Subaru has not announced a 2018 Forester, has it? An all new Foz in 2018 would be very surprising considering the changes they are making now and the fact that unless they do something unusual a new Forester is due in 2019.

What is due in 2018--and was announced!--is what a few of us have been waiting for a while: the new 7 pax. That is the only vehicle that can potentially tempt me into a purchase over the next several years, as a Tribeca replacement.

#51 ·
That's exactly the point - we just released the '17 Forester info. Can we at least get the cars out before you guys start speculating about what's going on the NEXT model?

Read and parse the way the press releases are written. The Global Platform will be under all NEW Subaru models. The 2018 Forester won't be a new model, presuming that Subaru keeps with their 5 year body style history. And since Subaru has a philosophy of if it's not broke, don't fix it.

So, we'll see the Impreza this fall with the 2017's on the global platform - which makes sense, since the 2017 Imprezas for U.S. consumption are supposed to be made in the U.S. That's the whole POINT of the global platform - if they run into an issue in Japan, they can make and ship some from Indiana overseas, or vice-versa. Since there's no plans to bring Forester production over here, why rush it?

By the same token, Outbacks are made in both countries - and they've already said it's also going to be on a global platform, just a bigger one than the Impreza. Again, though, as conservative as Subaru is, I don't foresee them doing that until the new Outback model in 2020.

That's one thing I don't think you guys grasp, just how conservative Subaru as a company really is. It was a HUGE gamble for them to join forces with Isuzu to start the plant here. And when we had more than a 300 day supply of Legacy sedans sitting all over Indiana, they were apologizing to us left and right, and we honestly feared for our jobs. And they've shot themselves in the foot more than once over the years. SVX and Tribeca, anyone?

Actually, I tell my customers that really, we've been doing 3 things for the past 40 years. Building as safe a car as possible, as reliable a car as possible, and up until just a few years ago, as ugly a car as possible. And that last thing is what we've changed - we don't build ugly cars anymore. And that's why we can't keep them on the lot.

An average dealer should have about 60 days of inventory on their lot. We typically have less than 3 weeks of inventory. For certain models, we have ZERO inventory on hand - they're ALL made to order, or anything we have in the pipeline is sold before it gets to the dealership.

Now, Subaru could throw a huge chunk of money at the problem and go overboard trying to fix it. They've thrown a huge chunk of money at it - but they're scaling things up, not betting the whole thing on one car. (Think about what happened to Toyota a few years back. And we're a SMALL car company compared to them.) So if I fire up my crystal ball, I see us continuing to grow, and continuing to have increased sales with some growing pains, for many more years to come.

#48 ·
and where is the 2017 gen2 SVX???? with 385 hp electric assist and under 0-60 3.8 seconds... that i have read about….

the old 92-97 svx went 155mph stock….92 did, then they limited it like a nanny would

-would be nice for Subaru to Try another land speed endurance record of more than the original 28 days like they use to do….bet they should come up with the engine of such. they used to do that. maybe bring back a 2rood, and affordable.

#49 ·
Wow! I wonder whats available for ....

... the 2025 model year? I bet-- It will cook your healthy campout dinner and Breakfast and lets not forget lunch. -- this will only be after you have it go to the quickshop to pick up the supplies. I bet it will even tie your shoes for you--oh wait tie shoes will be obsolete by then.
Sorry for the sarcasm -- my feeling-- "it'll come when it comes, and when the manufacturer makes it profitable --FOR THEM!
:grin2:

I have noticed Subaru does their upgrades based mainly on safety and not LUXURY !

#58 ·
For those interested in the '17 Forrester, I wonder if the recent Japanese earthquakes will delay the US release.

In the today's news Toyota has stopped production because suppliers cannot furnish parts due to the earthquakes.

Just wondering but I'm also seeing the wisdom of having a global platform.

#65 ·
I ordered my 2016 Outback in March and they say it will be here in June. Now I wonder if I ought to hold out for a 2017 model. The dealer has 356 vehicles in stock right now but there are ZERO Outback models. I am told they sell fast and good luck finding one and ordering is the best way to go.

#69 ·
I'm in the same boat.

I ordered a manual however, and part of me fears the manual will just get dropped entirely, so I should get it while I have the chance.

If they did change the engine lineup, almost zero chance the manual would be available with the fun engine anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.